Player A is correct and shouldn’t have to pay 16 40.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Page 3 of 5 123 45

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-31-2019, 12:31 PM

Does anyone remember when making the Eight ball was a win on the break!

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#32)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

01-31-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
I never heard of getting paid on the eight.....
...but I played in nine ball ring games where the five and nine were money balls...
...the five was worth half the money as the nine...
...and they were re-spotted if made out of turn.

My record was getting paid five times in one game....
,...I used to send 'em airmail

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#33)
pooldawg8
My Pride and Joy
pooldawg8 has a reputation beyond reputepooldawg8 has a reputation beyond reputepooldawg8 has a reputation beyond reputepooldawg8 has a reputation beyond reputepooldawg8 has a reputation beyond reputepooldawg8 has a reputation beyond reputepooldawg8 has a reputation beyond reputepooldawg8 has a reputation beyond reputepooldawg8 has a reputation beyond reputepooldawg8 has a reputation beyond reputepooldawg8 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

01-31-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Hey Jay
In the Monday night bar league I play in, 8 on the break used to count as a RUN, no $hit. They just changed it this year that its only a win now & not a run. Fact is I just made the 8 on the break Monday night against a pretty top notch player, he wasn`t happy at all. But knows its the league rules.

Also league still plays in the kitchen on stratches (no ball in hand)
Pretty rinkie dinkie league, but its close to home & passes for a night out.

Old
  (#34)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

01-31-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Yes! For years and years!

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Straight Pool is not a race!

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels:http://www.mediafire.com/file/ldhxbl..._Game.pdf/file

Old
  (#35)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

01-31-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
I never heard of getting paid on the eight.....
...but I played in nine ball ring games where the five and nine were money balls...
...the five was worth half the money as the nine...
...and they were re-spotted if made out of turn.

My record was getting paid five times in one game....
,...I used to send 'em airmail
I'm talking about Eight Ball here, not 9-Ball. I thought that everyone would pick up on that right away.

Old
  (#36)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

01-31-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushout View Post
Yes! For years and years!
There you go. Why they, in their infinite wisdom, changed that rule is beyond me. I used to give out a twenty dollar bill to the next player who made the eight on the break in the U.S. Bar Table Championships, and it would often take hours for someone to win it, and they were playing on 32 tables at once!

Old
  (#37)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

01-31-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about Eight Ball here, not 9-Ball. I thought that everyone would pick up on that right away.
I guess I just don't think about eight ball much....the game I hardly ever played.
...bar boxes and unenlightened rules were not what got me hooked to billiard games.

Lionize your game.

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#38)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

01-31-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I guess I just don't think about eight ball much....the game I hardly ever played.
...bar boxes and unenlightened rules were not what got me hooked to billiard games.
In the old days, bar pool was where the easy money was. And the game was Eight Ball. But the rules were different almost everywhere you played. I liked to watch a few games first to see what rules they were using before I put my quarter up. Just doing my due diligence.

Old
  (#39)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?
jimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond repute

01-31-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, Boy's Club, 1962..also remember being allowed to move the cue ball off the rail by the width of the butt of the cue.

Seriously, even in pool rooms, 8 on the break won.

Old
  (#40)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

02-01-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
In the old days, bar pool was where the easy money was. And the game was Eight Ball. But the rules were different almost everywhere you played. I liked to watch a few games first to see what rules they were using before I put my quarter up. Just doing my due diligence.
My 8 ball days were pretty much behind me after the fall of 1973. When I started playing in commercial pool rooms in the NE I seldom even saw the game played, at least not by the players.

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Straight Pool is not a race!

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels:http://www.mediafire.com/file/ldhxbl..._Game.pdf/file

Old
  (#41)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

08-02-2020, 02:50 PM

You settle it by flipping a coin. Loser of coin toss not only loses
the dispute, but he must also buy shots for all the players in the game.

Old
  (#42)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
08-02-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxman View Post
First break, Russian Kenny and DD/Roy arguing over the rules. Kenny broke, the 10b and cue ball dropped.

https://www.facebook.com/RoysBasemen...3678606692611/
10b stays down. I am sure of it.

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#43)
pt109
WO double hemlock

08-02-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
As jviss said, rules are now different for 10 ball.. sometimes it won't count
on the break, it gets spotted. It's not 9 ball rules with an extra ball.
I've seen tournaments where it counts on the break only in the sides or
back corner pockets.
Not counting the money ball on the break in the two racking pockets was a result of ‘Rack
Your Own’ rules. In a ring game it’s usually another player racking..money ball should count anywhere.

Lionize your game.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#44)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-02-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
... In a ring game it’s usually another player racking..money ball should count anywhere.
Even if your brother-in-law "Rick the Rack" is doing the honors?

Old
  (#45)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-02-2020, 04:07 PM

From an old post when people were discussing most money balls on the break in a row.....

Myron Zownir claims 6. He probably was telling the truth. On the other hand, both your customer and Myron were breaking trick, loose racks. With a tight rack, the nine does not move. This has been well documented and was certainly true at the just-finished Mosconi Cup. The nine was nearly always in it's original spot at the end of each rack.

Here's a story about gaff racks:

------------------------------------------------
House Rules

The front table at Kip's Pool Hall (a block from the UC Berkeley campus,
mentioned in John Grissim's "Billiards", and now, sadly, closed) was a
little strange. Not as difficult to play on as the table next to it,
which would reject any ball run at high speed down the rail, due to
deformed pocket facings, causing road players to cry out in agony
and frustration, nor as untrue as most of the rest of the tables in
Kip's, which hadn't been leveled since the quake of '57, the front
table, right by the door and desk, had two jewels of peculiarity.

The first was the post which held up the second floor and all of the
pizza-gobbling, beer-swilling college students, and which was
strategically located 55 inches from one of the two corner pockets that
one might use for one pocket. A lot of one pocket was played on that
table, and the dreaded "post hook" was a standard tactic.

A lot of ring nineball also was played on that table, usually when there
wasn't some visiting player in a big match and the regulars had gotten
tired of one pocket and there were four or five people with a little
extra money and a lot of extra time. Since the guy running the desk
would usually join the game, the table rental rate was very attractive.

It was during one of these ring nineball games that Tim stumbled over
the second peculiar jewel.

Tim didn't really belong in the game. He usually just watched the
better players on the front table, and occasionally would match up with
someone closer to his own speed -- of course they would play on one of
the back tables. Overcome that night by ennui, and noting that any
idiot in a ring game could slop in a nineball now and again, Tim decided
to join the fun. He didn't have much fun. He didn't sink a nine ball
in the first ten games. In the eleventh he scored and collected from
the four other players. Six games stuck. His glum look improved a little.

He broke well. The nine headed straight for the corner pocket, the one
by the post. The nine wobbled in the pocket. It fell! Tim was
beaming, no longer stooped and sullen. He had a chance to get ahead of
the big boys after being stuck like a pig. Ring games were wonderful.

"It doesn't count," said one of the players.

Tim had already collected the cue ball for his next break. "Hunh?" he
asked, his face contorted.

"The nine doesn't count on the break in that pocket." All the other
players and onlookers nodded agreement. "That pocket's no good for the
nine on the break. It spots and you go on shooting."

Tim was eventually convinced of the rule. It really was the rule on that
table, and not made up specially for him. The nine went into that
particular pocket one out of four breaks on a good day, so the regulars
had long before declared the pocket ineligible for the nine. The
strange attraction persisted across changes of felt, and the prevailing
theory was that permanent small craters in the slate would position
the balls just right to make the nine dead. The unwritten rule was so
familiar that no one had thought to make sure that Tim knew it.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Page 3 of 5 123 45

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: