English billiards

Gongmyo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a classic (and rare) three-volume set of books on English billiards--Billiards: The Strokes of the Game-- by Riso Levi. 786 pages, 1042 illustrations. Let me know if you are interested.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I doubt if there are any modern English Billiards tables around....
...I’ve only seen it played on snooker tables.
The game, in it’s golden age, was played on 3.25 inch pockets...
...snooker is played on 3.5....the English billiard players called snooker a ‘potting picnic’.

Those smaller pockets puts Walter Lindrum’s feats beyond the ken of modern players.

Dean_H

luv the small modalities
Silver Member
I am not sure about the rest of the country, but in California it is very common to have 1 Snooker table in each pool hall, well not every pool hall but at least the serious pool halls. Most people do not play Snooker on these tables because they usually cut the pockets tough for playing the game of "Golf". I will ask how big the pockets are cut on the snooker tables at the local pool hall I go to. I sometimes get tired of practicing and take a little break and watch the Golf Experts play. Anyways I am thinking if the Golf tables would be good to try the "English billiard" game on?

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite thing about English billiards was that, at least for a long time and maybe even still, some of the best players in the world year after year were just regular working stiffs who also just happened to play the game exceptionally.

I seem to remember that Mike Russell was one of these guys who still held down a regular job working in trades or something like that.

Can anyone confirm?

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
My favorite thing about English billiards was that, at least for a long time and maybe even still, some of the best players in the world year after year were just regular working stiffs who also just happened to play the game exceptionally.

I seem to remember that Mike Russell was one of these guys who still held down a regular job working in trades or something like that.

Can anyone confirm?

It was mentioned on a recent stream that multi time world champ David Causier is a pub manager. He practices in the mornings before work.

It's a good game for snooker players to put in a bit of practice.