Top 10 cue makers in 2020

UncleSlide

I am looking for some of the current cue makers still taking orders today. I have a Chad Carter on order for July and would like to hear of some of the other affordable builders in the game today. Please post your lists and links would be helpful. I also own a 1996 Jim Buss that i use daily.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I am looking for some of the current cue makers still taking orders today. I have a Chad Carter on order for July and would like to hear of some of the other affordable builders in the game today. Please post your lists and links would be helpful. I also own a 1996 Jim Buss that i use daily.

Your defination of affordable is?

Are you talking Merry Widow, with Two Shafts, or a clone of a $22,000.00 Black Boar?.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lists AND links? All you want? I'll get right on that. Seriously, there's quite a few. You might do a search first. A few: Gilbert, Owen, Howard, Bierbower.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
chuck starkey and ron kilby are affordable and quick and make nice wood pin players

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I was thinking under $2,500 im looking for players not collector cues.

Well being a fan of the builder you mentioned incoming order coming from, think you have found your answer without spending 2500 Clams.

Honeslty a Merry Widow from a good builder should play about the same as one of their highly I layed Cues.

A Cherverlot Spark will get you from point A to B, a Ferrari will do the same but you will get noticed more.

Pretty is just fancier. IMHO.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Well id 2500 is the budget than i recommend kl
Krindlekin customs

He does pure top notch work

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well im not sure you would know my tastes or specs but thanks for the reply

What? You have to let us know then.

I'm going to go against the grain at that price+application and suggest a complete synthetic option, have someone fabricate the entire thing out of CF. You could even print your own if you had a machine shop fabricate the frame (but a solid aluminum approach with slow speeds will work too). If you really just want a shooter, then all doors are open, especially the $100 Schmelke'ish + $500 Revo'ish approach (and if you still want ro match the price, buy solid silver and gold weight bolts).

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know who is taking orders- that is your research, but here are a few names to check out: Andy Gilbert, Bob Durzuricky, Troy Downey, Mike Capone, just to name a few.

Here is a list of cue makers I really like, but not sure if all of them are taking orders.

Mike Durbin
Pat Diveney
Mike Lambros
Chris Nitti
Bob Owen
Russ Espiritu
Richard Black
Jerry Rauenzahn

Mike Durbin is my home town favorite, and is a really great cue maker. He is probably not as well known as the others, but but he has been building cues for around 25 years, and his cues hit amazing, in my experience with the ones I have played with.

Really love Pat Diveney cues too.

Mike Lambros has always been my dream cue. If he is still taking orders, then the wait list is probably very long I imagine. His cues look amazing in my opinion, with the super long points that he does, but I have never had a chance to hit with one. I always imagined I would really love the hit of one though. He has a unique Ultra joint that he patented , that I always thought looks so cool.

Always really loved the look of Russ Espiritu, and Richard Black Bushka style cues too.

Nitti cues hit amazing too, in my experience.

Bob Owen is also another really great cue maker, who makes really beautiful cues.

I can't believe that I almost forgot about Jerry Rauenzahn cues. Would love to have one of his cues someday.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

Where in Upstate are you? Send me a PM if you want, I know a lot of guys in the region who can show you cues once the lockdowns lift

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a list of cue makers I really like, but not sure if all of them are taking orders.

Mike Durbin
Pat Diveney
Mike Lambros
Chris Nitti
Bob Owen
Russ Espiritu
Richard Black
Jerry Rauenzahn

Mike Durbin is my home town favorite, and is a really great cue maker. He is probably not as well known as the others, but but he has been building cues for around 25 years, and his cues hit amazing, in my experience with the ones I have played with.

Really love Pat Diveney cues too.

Mike Lambros has always been my dream cue. If he is still taking orders, then the wait list is probably very long I imagine. His cues look amazing in my opinion, with the super long points that he does, but I have never had a chance to hit with one. I always imagined I would really love the hit of one though. He has a unique Ultra joint that he patented , that I always thought looks so cool.

Always really loved the look of Russ Espiritu, and Richard Black Bushka style cues too.

Nitti cues hit amazing too, in my experience.

Bob Owen is also another really great cue maker, who makes really beautiful cues.

I can't believe that I almost forgot about Jerry Rauenzahn cues. Would love to have one of his cues someday.
Rauenzahn is retired.

Rauenzahn is retired.

Oh, okay.

I also forgot to mention Richard Harris / Bluegrass cues. Would love to someday have one of his sneaky style cues. They look awesome, and I have heard such great reviews about his cues over the years. At one time, he had to stop taking orders, because his waiting list got so long. I have no idea how long of a wait it would be on one of his cues these days though. I would just try to find one on the used market if I had the money.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt if any of the affordable cue-makers that can be suggested would qualify as truly being one of the top 10 cue-makers.
That tier is occupied by some giant names in cue-making. The original question as worded really doesn’t align with affordability.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you said players not collectors

how about both play and collectability,here are a few that i think not only play great,but also look great and are almost sure to e collector favorites

Larry Vigus

it might be hard to get on his list ,but well worth the effort

Bob Runde

Certainly one of the greatest of all time,the original owner and cue maker for schon
one pf the nicest people you will ever meet
His R series schons cost as much as a custom order cue brand new

Bob Owen

If you remember the beautiful box cues Paul Mottey made 10 years ago
Bob Owen is now the man to contact

He can do anything,pros play and pay for his cues

You want a beauty call Bob

He has already been mentioned so I started with people not already mentioned

Bob is second to no one, his waiting list isgrowing so you better call quick if you want one this year

Shelby Williams

Shelby is the newsest of the great cue makers fron the Dallas area
in thesame line of cue maker as Nemic
,Vigus,and Jake

John Nemic
if you can contact him,he makes super quality full splice cues for $1000
worth twice that

Paul Drexler

Why is the best cue maker of all time listed last

You said under $2500

Drexler normally is super high dollar

this gave the average guy the impression that he only built
pretty boy cues,but no
his play as good as any cue ever

JC cues out west

here is a man with a business of his own and cue making is a hobby

his work has taken huge steps in quality in the last year

If you want to spend $1200,grab your phone,order while he doesn't realize how good he is

Last edited: