Diamond pool table -- pro am or professional

the2yoots

Registered
Hi everyone....
I'm going to buy a diamond pool table, either a pro am, or a professional.....I'm curious if a 9' pro am or a 9' professional play exactly the same. Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks everybody

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at the DCC and almost ordered one. I think it was Paul Smith, who works at diamond, he told me the tops on the two tables are exactly the same and they play exactly the same, when I was discussing table options with him one day there. I personally like the Professional much better than the Pro Am due to the aesthetic differences.

I ended up going with a used GC4 in the end.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I have a 9ft Pro. I much prefer the looks of it over the Pro-Am. And yes I believe they play identical.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the guys at the pool hall said the pro am frame is stronger due to the boxier structure. Not sure if that’s true. I do like the looks of the professional better

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Professional because I do not care for the “swollen belly” look of the Pro-Am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Diamond Professional is a copy-cat of the Gold Crown. All you have to do is look and you can see that. A couple of years ago I almost bought a Diamond and was going to go with the Professional.

r/DCP

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The final decision will be your preference on whether you want a drop pocket or a ball return table.

Both tables will play the same when setup properly.

Price could certainly be a consideration as well.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The final decision will be your preference on whether you want a drop pocket or a ball return table.

Both tables will play the same when setup properly.

Price could certainly be a consideration as well.
I think at one time the ProAm only came in one-piece slate. I see that they now offer all models with either one- or three-piece slate.

The one-piece doesn't go up stairs well.:wink: I think it's a better way to do the bed if it fits.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Just for reference...

Diamond Professional
"...DIAMOND BILLIARD PRODUCTS INC. most popular table"
Diamond Professional Table.JPG
http://www.diamondbilliards.com/CommercialTables/Professional.aspx

Diamond Pro-Am
"...The main difference is the one-piece slate"
Diamond Pro-Am Table.JPG
http://www.diamondbilliards.com/CommercialTables/ProAm.aspx

pj
chgo

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi everyone....
I'm going to buy a diamond pool table, either a pro am, or a professional.....I'm curious if a 9' pro am or a 9' professional play exactly the same. Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks everybody

I recently got a new professional. I went with the professional for two reasons. First, I wanted a drop pocket table. Second, I like the traditional look of the professional. I’ve been told that both play exactly the same. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the guys at the pool hall said the pro am frame is stronger due to the boxier structure. Not sure if that’s true. I do like the looks of the professional better
Pro has a much stronger frame. Both will last forever but the Pro is stouter. Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCL17alUuqs That frame is made from laminated timber-strand beams. Same thing they use to build houses. SUPER stout. Pro-Am is kinda like a bar-box on steroids. Both play great.

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you buying new or used?

If New the pro am holds value a bit better but usually are limited to where it can go due to the one piece slate that is said to roll truer. I think you can get the pro am in a 3 piece also.

The professional will usually come in a 3 piece which makes having it installed easier. You can find some amazing deals on used ones that get updated to the blue label specs.

I recently got a red label table that was updated and it plays amazing and the price on it was great.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member

My diamond pro (with 3 price slate). Is built like a tank. I would buy either one, but the pro looks better to me so that's what I bought. If there's ever a tornado at my home, I'm crawling underneath that thing. Those timbers supporting the slates are huge.

jalapus logan

Silver Member
The Diamond Professional is a copy-cat of the Gold Crown. All you have to do is look and you can see that. A couple of years ago I almost bought a Diamond and was going to go with the Professional.

r/DCP

Also, would like to completely disagree with what was said here. Diamond built a better mousetrap...sorry.

Cheers,

JL

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, would like to completely disagree with what was said here. Diamond built a better mousetrap...sorry.

Cheers,

JL

A better mousetrap? Not! A cheaper copy for sure. Void of the beautiful sound of a gold crown and excellent play. Changing the industry for the worse with a springy table that to this day is disputed after over a century of setting the standard on how a pool table should play. Those who know, they know.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro has a much stronger frame. Both will last forever but the Pro is stouter. Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCL17alUuqs That frame is made from laminated timber-strand beams. Same thing they use to build houses. SUPER stout. Pro-Am is kinda like a bar-box on steroids. Both play great.

Thanks. I watched the video, so I guess the ProAm is wood beams and not that special beam. I also didn’t know the professional was drop pocket only which is better for me.

jalapus logan

Silver Member
When presented with a the option of playing on a diamond or a good crown, I always chose the diamond pro because I felt that it played better and I personally liked it's quality more than the gold crown. I think that in the pool world it's a bit like cord vs Chevy. In the end, both are good and/or great. I personally hate the metal on good crowns, but some love them. I especially dislike the gold crown rails. Look, I like Woodford reserve double oaked bourbon, but sure, I'll take a Coors light too. In the end it's much to do about nothing.