Seriously, how lame has pool become?!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dammit, bob.

We have no need for reality here. Move along!!

Let's take the US Open as an example. There were 13 tables and the event lasted 7 days. Call it 6 days as the final day used only a few tables. The matches ran from 10AM to 1AM so you are looking at two shifts with relief. I think it takes a minimum of 4 staff per table unless you want to work them really hard. Total staff would be 52.

For each of those you have to pay them and house them. Maybe you also provide snacks/sandwiches so they don't have to go to a restaurant during breaks. The hotel rooms are about $100/night but you could ask them to double up. 26 rooms for 7 nights is $18,200. You need to pay the staff something. $50/day might be OK if you also provided sandwiches/salads/cookies/drinks in a break room. Call it 6 days which comes to $15,600. The hotel is going to charge at least $5000 for the food service ($16/person/day). You are looking at something like $40,000 to provide one staff person (ref/scorer) at each table for each match.

You also have the considerable effort of finding and organizing the staff so you will have to pay a head ref. He needs to have some orientation/training time with the staff.

If you offer the players the choice of having a trained, alert official at each table or having $40,000 more in the prize fund, I'm pretty sure I know which they will pick.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes it costs cold hard cash to run an event. That's where sponsorship comes in - and you will have more chance of getting sponsors involved if you aspire to run a professional event in a professional manner.

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sponsors will also want to see a successful track record to gauge the bang per buck.

So, to put on a professional show that the sponsors demand, you give up $40k per event for, say a year, in the hopes of snagging a corporate sponsor.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wew78QAweTk

Good for Ronnie here that there was no sh@t clock.

Snooker is one thing...but IMO, if you can't shoot a normal nineball shot in 30 seconds, you probably should wear a helmet everywhere you go or at least have someone help you get around! If you have a tough pushout or a very unusual situation, sure one time out per rack is fine.

Lets say you are ok with someone using 50 secs on every shot, where does it end? 1 minute 30 seconds? 2 minutes? 5 minutes? People will stretch the rules and their opponents patience as long as they're allowed. I watched a Johnny Archer match once. Johnny was going up and down, picking lint, picking balls out of the pocket...I have absolutely no idea how long he took on each shot, but it had to be 2 minutes. It felt like hours! You literally forgot the score, or even the previous shot before he shot! Stuff like that completely destroys the viewer enjoyment, and it is very bad sportsmanship. Trying to ice your opponents arm like that is defininetly a move, a really bad shark move.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happened was slick cloth and template racks. Template racks make it a LOT easier to make a ball on the break without doing the hard work to build a killer break.. Slick cloth means less work to build a killer stroke, as that ALSO is not needed.

These two things together make it VERY important to never turn over the table to your opponent if you can help it, which makes the players play much more carefully.

Back in the day, a player could make a mistake or two in a match, and it was not necessarily a foregone conclusion that their opponent would win. These days, a single mistake often times puts you significantly down in a match, and with slick cloth and template racks, one has to play flawless to catch up. AND might need a little luck in the form of a single mistake from their opponent..

Short Bus Russ

This pretty much sums it up for me here. Template racking and super fast cloth have changed the game completely. Back in the day you had to have a killer break and a big stroke to move the ball around. Now days that is not really required. Soft breaks and the like, bah, I'd rather watch paint dry.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate slow play and I will usually turn off a stream off if it has slow players. No amount of arguing about how it's great for the sport and how great it's for the players wallet will change my feelings. I suspect most feel the same way. There is nothing entertaining about watching people stare at balls for minutes on end.

If a player has to play slow while sucking the last drop of joy out of this great game, then he simply can't play at the proper level. Allowing these time bandits to continue to play slow will drive more viewers away.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate slow play and I will usually turn off a stream off if it has slow players. No amount of arguing about how it's great for the sport and how great it's for the players wallet will change my feelings. I suspect most feel the same way. There is nothing entertaining about watching people stare at balls for minutes on end.

If a player has to play slow while sucking the last drop of joy out of this great game, then he simply can't play at the proper level. Allowing these time bandits to continue to play slow will drive more viewers away.

Totally agree, this article is about former World snooker champion Graeme Dott (who was never regarded as a speed demon, albeit a great tough player):

https://www.prosnookerblog.com/2013/04/23/dott-calls-for-snooker-shot-clock/

'The only thing would be 30 seconds and two or three time outs a frame. I think would speed the game up, even in the World Championship, in every tournament. I think that is more than quick enough for everybody.'

Thats for snooker!!! 30 seconds with 1 time out and 1 minute after the break is perfect for 9-Ball.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Design a template that produces a slug rack. Clusters and no balls on the break.

At first, I thought that sounds cool or interesting, so I made one, all it is, is,
an upside down ball tray for the most part.

You would be abandoning the so many balls touching rails and/or crossing
the head string, I would assume.
Then again, you may of been just, in just for fun making the suggestion,
don't know you.
What I can't figure is how a longer round of time using a slug rack puts more
fans in the seats to see the same valued number of balls pocketed.

So, that puts me back in the camp less populated for fewer balls having
more relevance for some reason.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At first, I thought that sounds cool or interesting, so I made one, all it is, is,
an upside down ball tray for the most part.

You would be abandoning the so many balls touching rails and/or crossing
the head string, I would assume.
Then again, you may of been just, in just for fun making the suggestion,
don't know you.
What I can't figure is how a longer round of time using a slug rack puts more
fans in the seats to see the same valued number of balls pocketed.

So, that puts me back in the camp less populated for fewer balls having
more relevance for some reason.

This has legs. Wish it would take off.

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s easy to fix the referee situation at any big event US Open, Derby, SBE, etc. Tgere is enough fans and players that would volunteer to do it. I’m prettty sure that’s how the PGA tour does it. They have tons of volunteers and I’m pretty sure they turn people away. I guarantee there is enough people that know what bad hit is, can count the time, etc. Actaully I trust a fan in the stands way more than I trust most refs at tournaments not because they are crooked but because 70 percent of them have never evto n played pool in their life. It’s amazing... Anymore I’ll just let my opponent watch it lol I trust him more than a ref that’s never played pool or at least another player standing around.

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s easy to fix the referee situation at any big event US Open, Derby, SBE, etc. Tgere is enough fans and players that would volunteer to do it. I’m prettty sure that’s how the PGA tour does it. They have tons of volunteers and I’m pretty sure they turn people away. I guarantee there is enough people that know what bad hit is, can count the time, etc. Actaully I trust a fan in the stands way more than I trust most refs at tournaments not because they are crooked but because 70 percent of them have never evto n played pool in their life. It’s amazing... Anymore I’ll just let my opponent watch it lol I trust him more than a ref that’s never played pool or at least another player standing around.

:eek: That's insane! I would have thought those refs were die hard pool fanatics. Surely the job can't pay that well.

Last edited:

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What he said.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What he said.

The funny posts are where posters say, as if no one ever thought of it before, "and you can go out and get sponsors". Uhmmmm... no company is interested in sponsoring pool given its reputation of hustlers, smoking, drinking, fighting etc,, deserved or not.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I trust a fan in the stands way more than I trust most refs at tournaments not because they are crooked but because 70 percent of them have never even played pool in their life....
That may be true for some of the foreign tournaments I've seen but it is not true in the American tournaments that have referees. Believe it or not, there are even referee training programs in the US.

As for getting someone out of the stands, most of the people in the stands have no idea what the rules are, and in the US the rules change from tournament to tournament.

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

the rules officials at PGA Tour events are NOT volunteers. They
are PGA members and employed by the tour. They are trained professionals.

there are, however, hundreds of other volunteers that do many other functions to make thw tournament run

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The funny posts are where posters say, as if no one ever thought of it before, "and you can go out and get sponsors"

This could be a reference in part to one or more of my posts, on this and other threads. But I for one never said you can go out and get sponsors as if it's just something you get by, er, going out.

... no company is interested in sponsoring pool given its reputation of hustlers, smoking, drinking, fighting etc,, deserved or not.

This isn't true. If you aspire to organise professional tournaments in a professional manner then you can get sponsors. A tournament of the calibre of the US Open, for example, could get sponsors more easily than most.

There are plenty of examples of professional pool tournaments where big name sponsors have been involved - at least on the (pretty big) planet that I live on.

doitforthegame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This could be a reference in part to one or more of my posts, on this and other threads. But I for one never said you can go out and get sponsors as if it's just something you get by, er, going out.

This isn't true. If you aspire to organise professional tournaments in a professional manner then you can get sponsors. A tournament of the calibre of the US Open, for example, could get sponsors more easily than most.

There are plenty of examples of professional pool tournaments where big name sponsors have been involved - at least on the (pretty big) planet that I live on.

ROTFLMAO. Camel CIGARETTES dumped pool after 3 years. It was essentially done after 1 year but they had to fulfill contract commitments. Outside of local beer sponsorships there is nothing going on. In fact both Miller and Bud had at one time sponsored on a national level.

So, who is going to sponsor pool? Do you want your product associated with pools cartoon image? EVERY scene on tv and movies shows a dimly lit room, most with smoke, a beer on the table rails and bad guys getting ready to fight.

The last big attempt to "aspire to organize professional pool tournaments" was done by a con man that I believe is in jail now.

I know your heart is in the right place. We all love pool but it just isn't something the world (or sponsors) are really interested in. It is a game we all enjoy and we are amazed at the high level some players achieve. But the world as a whole is more impressed with the trick shot guy than watching someone run 5 racks of 9 ball.