Opinions Ebony vs Birds Eye

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me thinks...

I think they look their best when paired together and I prefer an Ebony butt and a good looking Maple forearm, like my Diveney player has. I think that combo makes a classy looking cue.

But, as we all know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
thump is softer than ping

ebony is more dense than maple which results in muted feedback when comparing the two

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Thanks both of you. I didn't understand that the denser wood resulted it more muted feedback. So additionally, thanks Ribdone for the explanation.
BIG NO.
Please.
A maple front cored with ppleheart, bloodwood, ipe, olivewood or granadillo will not have a muted feedback. Or even a reduced feedback.
The forearm AND the handle are married and the two's combination determine the feedback.
Think of it as acoustic guitar . Two or more different woods make the body of the guitar.
Each have their own function.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks both of you. I didn't understand that the denser wood resulted it more muted feedback. So additionally, thanks Ribdone for the explanation.

They beat me to it.
But that's the gist of it.
Many other factors contribute to a soft or firm hit. I just edited and shortened my reply because I like Joey's answer best.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They beat me to it.
But that's the gist of it.
Many other factors contribute to a soft or firm hit. I just edited and shortened my reply because I like Joey's answer best.

Joey, I mean you have seen some of my questions, so you already know that I am the ebony of pool players, denser than most.

So let me pose this question to you, what about an uncored merry widow, one maple, one ebony, which would generally have the softer hit?
Granted most people core cues these days I assume, so I guess that doesn't really come into play...

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maple all the way

A lot of ebony forearm cues hit dead compared to the same cue in maple. But even that is not a guarantee. I own 2 Schon R1’s both in maple and the hit, feel and feedback between the 2 is very noticeable.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i often wonder about ebony vs maple

i,too, had a stl 1 ebony,i played with it 5 years best schon i ever had

yet,i have seen several great players with all maple

i wish i had one of each,but i have too mny now

one thing,i have really taken to some plain merry widow cues lately

thanks for the help

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
BIG NO.
Please.
A maple front cored with ppleheart, bloodwood, ipe, olivewood or granadillo will not have a muted feedback. Or even a reduced feedback.
The forearm AND the handle are married and the two's combination determine the feedback.
Think of it as acoustic guitar . Two or more different woods make the body of the guitar.
Each have their own function.

coring, and the attendant impact on "thump" vs "ping", wasn't factored into our conversion
'

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Joey, I mean you have seen some of my questions, so you already know that I am the ebony of pool players, denser than most.

So let me pose this question to you, what about an uncored merry widow, one maple, one ebony, which would generally have the softer hit?
Granted most people core cues these days I assume, so I guess that doesn't really come into play...

Ebony would hit harder.
With maple, you will need a good heavy handle to accentuate it's hit.
Adding 3 oz or more of total weight on normal maple to maple butt.
Maple with ebony points, all things being equal, will hit better than all maple as the ebony v-points stiffen the middle of the cue.

Purpleheart, Braz rosewood, Madagascar ebony and gaboon ebony ping more than BEM.
Not to say BEM's don't hit great . They hit great paired with a nice handle .

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The points stiffen the hit
I am not sure how that works,the tiny amount of ebony in the points seems insignifican
to me,I ave even been leaning toward a merry widow cue style,which was so rarely used in the 50s through the 90s or later

Have you done any experimentation with the amounts of ebony required to produce a stiifer hit.

How do full splice vs shorty splice vs surface inlay produce stiffness?

I have been around great cue makers ,but I have not improved my opportunities.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I am confused, nothing new.

Is there any good books on the subject of how woods and different construction methods effects hit?

I spent sometime reading about the different tonal woods on some guitar sites, not sure how that translates to pool cues. I have searched the forums here, but see many different responses. Is it all subjective, like opinions on why there is birdseyes in maple?

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
So, I am confused, nothing new.

Is there any good books on the subject of how woods and different construction methods effects hit?
No.
And don't even start with taper.
You can construct the same way as SW, but if your taper is not the same, it won't hit like a SW.
I get a kick out some people saying this cue hits like SW when it has a Meucci taper. Just comical.
A 1.010" bottom of the forearm cue will not hit like a SW with some 1.060" bottom of the forearm diameter. Not happening.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
joey
perhaps you can explain to me why i like south west play the most,
but when i switch to a schon i like those also

people tell me they are opposit ,but not to me