Marking your pocket

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
In the past when I played APA there were times that I would spend my off time while watching my opponent play solving the Rubik cube. Then when I would get back to the table after my opponent missed I would always make the point of using my solved Rubik cube to mark my pocket for each of my match wins.

I would also at times use my stack of collected APA award patches from that season to also mark my pocket for each match win. Since I normally collected more award patches than nearly all the other players in my league I could present a good stack of patches as my pocket marker.

Usually I found that both of those instances generally caused some irritation among players of the opposing team and of my opponent. :)

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
20 years a go every league night was fight night. Half the night was spent having silly arguments with idiots, drunks and poor losers. We had more and more rules to prevent this and it just made it worse until finally the biggest league in town (bca) said ENOUGH! Were playing gentlemen's rules. no more marking pockets and calling every shot out loud or fouls because someones shirt bumped or brushed against a ball. The only time you have to call a shot is banks or kicks or something not obvious..If you start fights over stupid crap YOUR OUT! Guess what... that weeded out the idiots and now you rarely ever have an argument that lasts more then a few minutes. In fact the only arguments I see any more is in apa at tri cups ltc's and thats usually a couple low handy cap players who don't know the rules. amazing less rules ..... less arguments..

PocketPooler

Silver Member
After that nonsense, I'd mark my pocket the way my cocker spaniel would....
as well mark his leg...

PocketPooler

Silver Member
Never heard of marking a pocket for a call shot. A verbal call while pointing to it with the cue has always worked for me. I have had to ask opponent's occasionally to call theirs.

it's a good rule to counter all the crybaby whining and *****in that all the leaguers do... yeah... I said it. And I'll add sandbagging to that too... See that?? I don't hold back; that's why I don't play league!

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Again, we're pretty fortunate here to have a low asshat-to-decent person ratio, so we pretty much all make it work. Some folks prefer the routine of marking it, most just agree to call it. Its really no big deal, when the people playing aren't...asshats.

I used to mark mine every time, just for the routine. And it did force me to slow down, and walk the table. I still keep my marker coin in my pocket while playing, sometimes I use still use it.

I do find it funny how much this simple little rule works people up.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never heard anything quite so petty. Marking your pocket sounds like an utter bs rule that wastes time to me, I've never had a match where I have to put an object in the vicinity of my intended money ball pocket. What's wrong with saying 8 right corner or what ever? Better yet not saying anything if its a given. I've played lots of call pocket games and rarely call a pocket unless I'm banking, playing a combo or where the OB could go in a variety of pockets, usually a spot shot with the CB centre table.

I can understand if you are playing in the local Verbally Challenged Deaf and Stutter 8 Ball League. If the op was, then he should have marked his pocket!!

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something that I don't like about marking the pocket is that it breaks the momentum you've built up.

Like, when I'm really playing well I get into a rhythm and marking the pocket interrupts that rhythm - it's a small setback but a setback nevertheless.

I've seen some players miss the 8-ball because of broken rhythm.

Banks

Banned
Whatever I dig from my pocket goes on the rail.. lighter, car key, Tic Tacs, etc. Unless my opponent is somebody I know or asks, I always mark it because I don't want to deal with the bs.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something that I don't like about marking the pocket is that it breaks the momentum you've built up.

Like, when I'm really playing well I get into a rhythm and marking the pocket interrupts that rhythm - it's a small setback but a setback nevertheless.

I've seen some players miss the 8-ball because of broken rhythm.

I try to predict which pocket the 8 will go in, and move the patch there while I'm playing. By the time I get to the 8, hopefully I was right.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Do you know that it is illegal, a foul, to move the marker and mark the 8 pocket before you are on the 8?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you know that it is illegal, a foul, to move the marker and mark the 8 pocket before you are on the 8?

This rule actually makes a bit of sense. You can easily use it as a marking tool for a kick or bank. If a league has to actually place something near a pocket no matter how clear where the ball is going, I can see someone saying that you are trying to mark the rail with the marker for a bank.

Huzz

Registered

Whatever... link to this rule please! The league i play in when u had to mark pocket there was already a 8 league coaster on the table to start the games so maybe something different because in that case if the marker was laying on table and u moved it out of your way / vision and set it near a pocket that would be the worst foul call ever!

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try to predict which pocket the 8 will go in, and move the patch there while I'm playing. By the time I get to the 8, hopefully I was right.

As just mentioned,

in the APA league I play in it's actually illegal to mark your 8-ball pocket when the 8-ball is not your current OB.

So, in my case, it's almost always going to break your rhythm which doesn't bother me, it's just that it takes me a little longer to get settled then shoot the 8. It's a bit of a hassle having to restart your routine IMHO anyway.

-Richard

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always ask my opponent what they prefer,and go from there. Never had a problem in 4 sessions of APA. I'll never understand why people on here make a big stink about this rule, other than just to bash the APA.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As just mentioned,

in the APA league I play in it's actually illegal to mark your 8-ball pocket when the 8-ball is not your current OB.

So, in my case, it's almost always going to break your rhythm which doesn't bother me, it's just that it takes me a little longer to get settled then shoot the 8. It's a bit of a hassle having to restart your routine IMHO anyway.

-Richard

Been playing apa for over a decade and never heard of this one. Maybe its a by-law? Not here its not. You might want to re read them.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Oh, maybe I don't have to indicate my 8 ball pocket?"

*spends 20 minutes setting up the strobe lights and flashing markers around my 8 ball pocket*

Hope you don't mind that I'm just being careful, safe, and sure. Thanks. Oh, by the way, the huge strobe light display in front of the 4 inch straight in shot I had on the 8 is to indicate my proper pocket, thanks.

Wags

2 pocket-one pocket table
Silver Member
I posted this a couple years ago.

We don't get to pick and choose which rules we like or don't like. We either have to follow the rules of play or don't play by any rules.

Many years ago I played in a National tournament where the rule was to patch the pocket where the 8-ball was going. Prior to the match start my opponent asked to not use the patch. Trusting me said, "sure" and boy was I dumb. Hill, hill. My shot on the 8-ball. Make it in the pocket and my opponent yells, "Foul, foul. You didn't patch the pocket." He then made sure that people that were close by saw that the patch was down by the coin chute. There was nothing I could do. I called for the ref and pled my case but knew I would lose...and I did.

Never again. Whether I like them or not, or my opponent likes them or not, I play hard...by the rules.*