Chalking with the bridge hand

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I like to put the chalk down on the floor, flip my cue over, and then make like the cue is a hand drill. It's time consuming, and I once started a small fire by accident, but my hands stayed clean.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never tried chalking with my bridge hand but then again I'm not
much of a card player. May have to give it a try sometime

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to put the chalk down on the floor, flip my cue over, and then make like the cue is a hand drill. It's time consuming, and I once started a small fire by accident, but my hands stayed clean.

Yeah? Well I like to put the chalk on the rail, smash it with a house cue, fill my pockets with the remnants and then use handfuls of, which I throw up in the air, and swing my cue at.

Ssssshew. I feel better now.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah? Well I like to put the chalk on the rail, smash it with a house cue, fill my pockets with the remnants and then use handfuls of, which I throw up in the air, and swing my cue at.

Ssssshew. I feel better now.

I put the cube of chalk in my mouth and then work it on to the tip like a cheap hooker! Get THAT image out of your head!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The chalk that gets on my hands from actually chalking, is in between fingers. And that part of my hand doesnt touch the cloth, no matter how I bridge.

The rest of the chalk on my hands at the end of a session, is of course from the table.

The cloth collects chalk with every hit of a chalked tip against the cb. It collects chalk when people chalk over the table. etc

Im having trouble seeing how there could be any measurable transfer of chalk from hand to cloth. :confused:

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Let me guess, between your middle and ring fingers, correct?? I chalk with my bridge hand but the chalk I get on the palm of my hand is from the table, not from my chalking. If you really want to keep chalk off of the table stop chalking over the table, thats how the chunks of chalk get on the table and Im sure most of the chalk dust too.:angry::angry::angry::angry:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Never chalk with bridge hand, I'm not a lefty, so it's weird and uncomfortable to use my non dominant hand to chalk my cue. Like eating cereal left handed, oh, it can be done, but it's not pretty and a little messy ;)

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Chalking with the bridge hand is the cue repairman's best friend. The bridge hand gets chalk on it, the chalk gets on the shaft, the shaft gets dirty, the player usually sands the shaft, and finally the shaft is useless, so he goes to the cue repair guy for another shaft.

Chalk with the non-bridge hand, the shaft stays cleaner.

All the best,
WW

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Inelegant? Stylish? We're pool players, most of us drink Domestic Light Beer right out of
the can, coffee from paper cups, and eat pool hall food.
My pet peeve is do you chalk your cue, or cue your chalk?

kor b

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This topic is very important, I think I'll go to the Derby City Classic and record on paper with pencile the chalking habits of the top 20 players. I may even fix a Go Pro to my need to buy ball cap.

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I must be getting old. One of the first things I learned was chalk with your shooting hand with the cue held sideways with the bridge hand. It keeps chalk residue off the shaft.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do most of the accused people rub the chalk into their hand, and then rub the tip against it??? :shocked:
How is this a thing to even nit pick as a lack of grace?
I'm definitely not going to use my hand that holds a linen, or even a leather wrap.
Most snooker players use a wrapless cue.
I wonder, if they had white cortland wraps on those things, would you still see them using the back hand to chalk...?
Using chalk, cleaning the felt, maintaining the shaft,
washing your hands...
These are all actions of consequence.
Perhaps even, "Part of the game."
It just seems like a butcher complaining about blood.

Last edited:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glue a piece on your choos. Then wherever you standin, look down and bingo, flip your cue then drill away !!! lol

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
this thread needs to be taken off. as someone may think pool players are not the elegant people that they portray themselves to be.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Let me guess, between your middle and ring fingers, correct?? I chalk with my bridge hand but the chalk I get on the palm of my hand is from the table, not from my chalking. If you really want to keep chalk off of the table stop chalking over the table, thats how the chunks of chalk get on the table and Im sure most of the chalk dust too.:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Correct on which fingers. As far as chalk dust getting on the cloth, a lot of folks discount just normal play/striking the cue ball.

This/similar happens every shot with a chalked tip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2lb4hx4ClM

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member

Attachments

• mike_dechaine_2193535.jpg
    mike_dechaine_2193535.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 166