Watching mr. 400 trying to break the record

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wonder how John feels about all this. He didn't need to prove to anyone that he can run balls like the wind, for we already knew that. I feel that the way John framed this endeavor, he chose to take this test pass/fail and that he'll feel he failed.

... but he should feel good about giving 14.1 so much exposure. The game has practically disappeared in America. It's a game you very rarely see played in pool halls in all but a few cities and there are so few 14.1 tournaments that many of the pros play the game at Derby City only.

I really think John will set the record one day, but until then, I hope he'll stay positive. Wish him luck going forward.

How could he or ANYONE be disappointed or feel like a failure while having a BLAST doing something "they love"........and......all the while, beating "their" personal best?

Would he rather have ran 527 or more?, sure.... but, a failure he is not and I HIGHLY doubt anyone, including him, would say he is a failure.

BTW, I know you weren't calling him a failure. I've read enough of your writing to know better.

Rake

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll admit I'm old-school and was hoping that during John's attempt that Willie's record would remain intact. Each day I would applaud John's attempt, his dedication, attitude, and top-shelf performances., hoping each day he would set his personal bests.
Yesterday in post #297, 'arnaldo' posted a link to an interview with John I listened to and a couple other interviews that I was led to. I have the utmost respect for this guy and I now hope that if Willie's record is to be topped, I'm pullin' for John Schmidt to do it.
Also, I've seen or heard nothing praising Doug (Desmond?), the friend and "rack man" for John. The guy was relentless and did a helluva job, many kudos for Doug !!!

driven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched it again and he even moved the 15 ball when spotting the second ball. I am a fan of his and 464 sounds great. Just wondering what straight pool rules say for that.

I read somewhere that when a player spots a ball he is acting as a referee, not a player, therefor no foul. As for not having them in perfect alignment I can't say other than it doesn't matter to me.
Who is to say the ref gets them perfect anyway?
steven

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
How could he or ANYONE be disappointed or feel like a failure while having a BLAST doing something "they love"........and......all the while, beating "their" personal best?

Would he rather have ran 527 or more?, sure.... but, a failure he is not and I HIGHLY doubt anyone, including him, would say he is a failure.

BTW, I know you weren't calling him a failure. I've read enough of your writing to know better.

Rake

Hope your right, Rake. Setting a personal best is always a big deal.

JL in ATL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I definitely enjoyed watching John show his magic! I'm pulling for him in the open, just hope the tighter pockets don't get the best of him.

Regards,
John

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are the results so far in Monterey this set of tries. The day he ran the 490 he had already made over 500 balls in other 100+ runs.

CropperCapture[309].png

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Last time John was in town, I let him drive my car.

Attachments

• JohnSR8.jpg
    JohnSR8.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 186

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without reading the whole thread, is there a last day
that he will quit trying?

Thought I read if he doesn't break it by a certain time
frame, he would try on an 8ft?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Without reading the whole thread, is there a last day
that he will quit trying?

Thought I read if he doesn't break it by a certain time frame, he would try on an 8ft?
His current series at Easy Street in Monterey is scheduled to end on June 5th. I haven't heard of any plans after that.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His current series at Easy Street in Monterey is scheduled to end on June 5th. I haven't heard of any plans after that.
8 separate runs of 100+ yesterday, including a 289 is rather impressive, just for the sheer stamina! 47 runs of 100+ just in the past 2 weeks, despite 3 rest days, including a 490, 421, 350 and 308. In the past 6 months of going for this record as hard as he has, it's mind boggling to think of how many 100+ ball runs he's had!

Last edited:

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that a different room from the time he ran 3xx and the cue ball took that wild curve into the top corner pocket?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The day he ran the 490 he had already made over 500 balls in other 100+ runs. ...

Maybe he needs to be tired to do his best.:) The day he ran 464 at Bull Shooters he had already run over a thousand balls, including more than 600 balls in 4 100+ runs.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is that a different room from the time he ran 3xx and the cue ball took that wild curve into the top corner pocket?
I believe the scratch was at 434 -- the break shot after 31 racks completed.

Yes, it is the same room in Monterey, Easy Street.

I think he has eight runs of 400 or more now, plus or minus a few, lifetime.

I see that his lowest daily high run for the current series is 164.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe he needs to be tired to do his best.:) The day he ran 464 at Bull Shooters he had already run over a thousand balls, including more than 600 balls in 4 100+ runs.

Ever heard of "second wind"?

Alot can be done after we think we cant "if" we catch our "second wind"...

These days I dont even notice my first wind and go straight to my second wind as soon as I awake.

I'm just wondering if there is such a thing as a third wind?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You got this one right on all counts. Willie never treated ANY shot like it was routine. He knew that he still needed to play good position for his next shot. He rarely shot a ball up table and very few into the side pockets. He made almost all his balls in the two bottom corners.

That's because "cousin whitey" listened to everything Willie said.

Lol...cousin whitey wont even even acknowledge that I'm at the table.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I think he has eight runs of 400 or more now, plus or minus a few, lifetime. ...

I think it's 7 runs in the 400's, Bob, unless he had another one today.

John Schmidt has now run in the 400's 7 times:

490 -- 5/15/2019 at Easy Street Billiards in Monterey, CA. Ended with a miss on a difficult break shot for the 36th rack.

464 -- 4/16/2019 at Bull Shooters Billiards & Sports Bar in Phonenix, AZ. Ended with a miss on a long, nearly straight shot after the break shot (made 2 balls) in the 34th rack.

434 -- 12/3/2018 at Easy Street Billiards. Ended with a scratch (a massé-like turn of the cue ball) on the break shot for the 32nd rack.

421 -- 5/9/2019 at Easy Street Billiards. Ended on a jacked-up miss of the 2nd ball of the 31st rack.

407 -- 11/(27±2)/2019 at Easy Street Billiards

403 -- 10/13/2007 at Q-Master Billiards in Virginia Beach, VA

400 -- 6/28/2004 at Hidden Pocket Billiards in Milton, FL

[If anyone is certain of any other details on the 407, 403, or 400, please let us know. And let me know of any errors in the above info.]