I noticed that Grady Mathews is not in the BCA Hall Of Fame

I feel that Mr. Mathews is a worthy candidate for the BCA Hall Of Fame. Do you disagree? I was very surprised to see that he is not on the list at the present time.

I want to say the following:

Mr. Mathews dedicated his life to the game of pool in many different ways. It is a direct slap in the face to not induct him into the Hall Of Fame. Especially given the current situation.

Last edited:

champ2107

Banned
I feel that Mr. Mathews is a worthy candidate for the BCA Hall Of Fame. Do you disagree? I was very surprised to see that he is not on the list at the present time.

Mr. Mathews dedicated his life to the game of pool in many different ways. It is a direct slap in the face to not induct him into the Hall Of Fame. Especially given the current situation.

don't you think you should post why you feel he is a worthy candidate for the HOF and then we can all give our opinions on it?

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grady Matthews won the world one pocket championship 4 times if I recall correctly.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Grady Mathews (born January 3, 1943, San Antonio, Texas), also known as "The Professor", is an American pool player and was the first inductee into the One-Pocket Hall of Fame[1] in 2004.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
Well historically, whats the criteria to get in? There should be some sort of prerequisites in place(like 3000 hits in baseball). Is there a point system in place where you could rate a player according to his accomplishments? Assign each significant win a point value, figure out the averages of those who have already been inducted, and go from there.

I would think Grady would get in, but I dont know how many titles he has.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Well historically, whats the criteria to get in? There should be some sort of prerequisites in place(like 3000 hits in baseball). Is there a point system in place where you could rate a player according to his accomplishments? Assign each significant win a point value, figure out the averages of those who have already been inducted, and go from there.

I would think Grady would get in, but I dont know how many titles he has.

Grady IS IN THE HOF already, does everyone want to be the first to elect him in TWICE?

Greatest Players:

Johnny Archer (2009)
Joe Balsis (1982)
Jean Balukas (1985)
Francisco Bustamante (2010)
Lou Butera (1986)
Jimmy Caras (1977)
Raymond Ceulemans (2001)
Welker Cochran (1967)
Irving Crane (1978)
Arthur Cranfield (1997)
Alfredo DeOro (1967)
Danny DiLiberto (2011)
Robin Bell Dodson (2005)
Allison Fisher (2009)
Ralph Greenleaf (1966)
Cecil Hall (2000)
Allen Hopkins (2008)
Willie Hoppe (1966)
Larry Johnson (1999)
Loree Jon Jones (2002)
Edwin Kelly (2003)
Johnny Layton (1974)
Luther Lassiter (1983)
Ewa Mataya Laurance (2004)
Sang Chun Lee (2007)
Ray Martin (1994)
Ruth McGinnis (1997)
Steve Mizerak (1980)
Jimmy Moore (1994)
Willie Mosconi (1968)
Cicero Murphy (1995)
Andrew Ponzi (1988)
Jim Rempe (2002)
Efren Reyes (2003)
Erwin Rudolph (1987)
Jake Schaefer, Sr. (1968)
Jake Schaefer, Jr. (1968)
Mike Sigel (1989)
Ralf Souquet (2011)
Earl Strickland (2006)
Frank Taberski (1975)
Eddie Taylor (1993)
Nick Varner (1992)
Dallas West (1996)
Dorothy Wise (1981)
Harold Worst (1972)

Meritorious Service:

George Balabushka (2004)
Terry Bell & Larry Hubbart (2010)
John Brunswick (1990)
Robert Byrne (2001)
Pat Fleming (2008)
John Wesley Hyatt (1972)
Mike Massey (2005)
Ben Nartzik (1967)
Charlie Peterson (1966)
Michael Phelan (1993)
Herman Rambow (1969)
Walter Tevis (1991)
Rudolph Wanderone (1984)

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
The next person to get into the BCA HoF should be Tobjorn Blomdahl, he has dominated 3-cushion way more then some of the more recent "pool" inductees.

He is 6 years older then Ralf Souquet and it is hard to comprehend how he has had any less of a career with 15 world titles...

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The next person to get into the BCA HoF should be Tobjorn Blomdahl, he has dominated 3-cushion way more then some of the more recent "pool" inductees.

He is 6 years older then Ralf Souquet and it is hard to comprehend how he has had any less of a career with 15 world titles...

I think Blomdahl would be a fantastic choice.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Good catch...never thought of Blomdahl..and I love watching him play.

pt..<...thinks Grady and Jose are locks for the HOF..it's just when?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In the world of the pool, where you must be 40 years old or older to be on the ballot, I feel that the five players that are most deserving of BCA HOF induction based on their competitive credentials are, alphabetically:

Karen Corr
Jeanette Lee
Rodney Morris
Oliver Ortmann
Jose Parica

Celtic

Silver Member
In the world of the pool, where you must be 40 years old or older to be on the ballot, I feel that the five players that are most deserving of BCA HOF induction based on their competitive credentials are, alphabetically:

Karen Corr
Jeanette Lee
Rodney Morris
Oliver Ortmann
Jose Parica

See, that makes me confused. Rodney is 8 years younger then Tobjorn and has nowhere close to the competitive credentials in their respective forums of skill. Karen is 7 years younger then him and again, she does not have 15 world titles, ranking behind the most dominant 3-cushion player to ever pick up a cue.

I know Tobjorn is not a "pool" player, but the BCA HoF went and put in alot of 3-cushion and carom billiards players into their HoF and by doing so they now have a responsibility to put in future hall of fame calibre players from that particular disipline and allow them to join their peers and predecessors.

You cannot put in Hoppe, Ceulmans, Cochrane, and the other billiard players and then stop adding more and put in pool players with 1/10th the competitive credentials that the 3-cushion player has. They set a precedent when they included billiards players in their HoF and now they have a responsibility to give 3-cushion players equal chances of induction as a pool player.

There is NO POOL PLAYER ALIVE who is not already in the BCA HoF that has anywhere close to the competitive credentials of Tobjorn, 15 world titles... the last pool player who managed dominance like that was named Mosconi.

Either the BCA HoF gives 3-cushion players the credit they deserve or they need to split the HoF into two seperate entities, remove Hoppe, Cochrane, and the other billiards players from the "pool" version of the HoF and then you can go ahead and focus on only the pool players for the "pool" version of the HoF which would not include Hoppe, Cochrane, and the other billiard players, and give the Billiards HoF status to billiards players who can now join Hoppe, Cochrane and the others in a billiard specific HoF that only includes the billiard version of the sport.

What you cannot do is simply stop caring about billiards, keeping old billiard legends in the HoF, and ignoring any future billiard players and adding nothing but pool players from this moment forth.

When you look at the last 25 years of additions to the BCA HoF you can see a glaring and obvious ommision of billiards HoF inductees to join the old legends of THEIR game that ARE in the BCA HoF, and it is pretty freaking wrong IMO. They added Ceulmans for the reason that to not include a guy who simply owned that sport like noone who has ever lived would be mind boggling, but some guy with 15 world titles? Nah, lets add a pool player with 2.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
See, that makes me confused. Rodney is 8 years younger then Tobjorn and has nowhere close to the competitive credentials in their respective forums of skill. Karen is 7 years younger then him and again, she does not have 15 world titles, ranking behind the most dominant 3-cushion player to ever pick up a cue.

I know Tobjorn is not a "pool" player, but the BCA HoF went and put in alot of 3-cushion and carom billiards players into their HoF and by doing so they now have a responsibility to put in future hall of fame calibre players from that particular disipline and allow them to join their peers and predecessors.

You cannot put in Hoppe, Ceulmans, Cochrane, and the other billiard players and then stop adding more and put in pool players with 1/10th the competitive credentials that the 3-cushion player has. They set a precedent when they included billiards players in their HoF and now they have a responsibility to give 3-cushion players equal chances of induction as a pool player.

There is NO POOL PLAYER ALIVE who is not already in the BCA HoF that has anywhere close to the competitive credentials of Tobjorn, 15 world titles... the last pool player who managed dominance like that was named Mosconi.

Either the BCA HoF gives 3-cushion players the credit they deserve or they need to split the HoF into two seperate entities, remove Hoppe, Cochrane, and the other billiards players from the "pool" version of the HoF and then you can go ahead and focus on only the pool players for the "pool" version of the HoF which would not include Hoppe, Cochrane, and the other billiard players, and give the Billiards HoF status to billiards players who can now join Hoppe, Cochrane and the others in a billiard specific HoF that only includes the billiard version of the sport.

What you cannot do is simply stop caring about billiards, keeping old billiard legends in the HoF, and ignoring any future billiard players and adding nothing but pool players from this moment forth.

When you look at the last 25 years of additions to the BCA HoF you can see a glaring and obvious ommision of billiards HoF inductees to join the old legends of THEIR game that ARE in the BCA HoF, and it is pretty freaking wrong IMO. They added Ceulmans for the reason that to not include a guy who simply owned that sport like noone who has ever lived would be mind boggling, but some guy with 15 world titles? Nah, lets add a pool player with 2.

I made it clear that my analysis was restricted to pool players. That should not be interpreted as suggesting that I feel only pool players belong, for I do not feel this way.

Blomdahl is likely a better choice for induction than all five pool players I listed, and I most certainly did not suggest otherwise.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Grady if nothing else should be included in the meritorious category.

On an aside, I'm not really up on what any of the players did to get inducted specifically (with a few exceptions of course) , but, one that had me wondering is what did Boston Shorty do to deserve induction?

Celtic

Silver Member
I made it clear that my analysis was restricted to pool players. That should not be interpreted as suggesting that I feel only pool players belong, for I do not feel this way.

Blomdahl is likely a better choice for induction than all five pool players I listed, and I most certainly did not suggest otherwise.

That does not change the overall point of my post. I will bet you that a pool player gets in over Blomdahl this year, and the next. I wonder how many voters on the BCA HoF comittee are actually connected to Billiards and not Pool? I bet the vast majoritty are connected to pool and could not even name 5 living 3-cusion players.

The BCA should split the HoF and make up a comittee of voters for Billiards made up of people connected to billiards and a seperate one for pool. They have already IMO showed they are tremendously biased towards pool for HoF induction.