A View From the Rail - Jump Shots

Wags

2 pocket-one pocket table
Silver Member
So...I'm at the rail wondering how the heck does Earl Strickland get such height on his jump shot using a full cue, especially in the olden days when he would jump with his playing cue.

So...I dug up some video of his jump shot, and although I'm not sure, even though his cue is elevated it certainly looks as if he is hitting below the center of the cue ball.
1.09 Strickland.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qphuIlYQgk
Strickland - Mizerak 1983

2.21 Strickland.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIWT79QcT0M
Strickland - Massey 1992 PBA

So...I grabbed my cue and went to the table to see what would happen if I hit the cue ball below center with the elevated cue. After just a few miscues I started to get the hang of it and began to get some over the full ball height. It was important to drop my shoulder. Prior to this time, hitting above center, I could only get over about a third of the ball. Pretty soon, I was hitting it good enough to get the cue ball to draw off the object ball. It still felt like I was scooping the cue ball.

So...I'm thinking this is an illegal shot. I had always thought that it was necessary to hit above the center line. I look up the WPA rules and come up with this.

8.16 Jump Shot
A jump shot is one in which the cue ball is made to go over an intervening obstacle such as an object ball or part of the cushion. Whether such a shot is legal depends on how it is accomplished and the intention of the shooter. Usually a legal jump shot is played by elevating the cue stick and driving the cue ball down into the playing surface from which it rebounds.
After reading the rule, I'm thinking that I don't have to hit above the cue ball center line.

So...I look up the WPA rule on scooping.

8.18 Miscue
A scoop shot, in which the cue tip contacts the playing surface and the cue ball at the same time and this causes the cue ball to rise off the cloth, is treated like a miscue. Note that intentional miscues are covered by 6.16 Unsportsmanlike Conduct (c).

I believe I am hitting the ball just before I am hitting the cloth...So...now I am totally confused.

Is what I'm seeing true? Can someone please explain this? Legal or Illegal?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Legal.

Look at the second picture. How would it be possible to do anything other than hit the CB first, and get the desired result.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not a scoop. A miscue or scoop from an elevated cue would result in little or no CB elevation.

Hit below center (from your elevated perspective) like Earl's doing here to get a jump-draw, at center for jump-stun, and above center for jump-follow. Jump-follow is certainly tougher, but I'm sure Earl would be happy to demonstrate with his playing cue.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you look at the core of the cb compared to the angle of the cue, then he is hitting below center. That will give him draw on the shot. Look at where he is hitting the cb in relation to where the cb touches the table to the top of the cb. He is hitting at center or a hair above center on the vertical axis of the cb.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love that 92 match, even though Massey lost he pulled off a lot of sweet shots and was much funner to watch play than Strickland. Very entertaining match

Wags

2 pocket-one pocket table
Silver Member
Thanks guys for your input. It was just such a revelation to me after thinking for many years that you needed to hit above the center line parallel to the table.

Maybe it was that way once but I agree that isn't the case anymore. I would still like to see a super slo-mo on Earl's hit though. Especially on that relatively short jump to the side pocket.

Where are the video guys that can to that?