Jump Shot Rule

David Marcus

"not bad,for a blind man"
Silver Member
I'm just curious, but when did the rule on jump shots change. Maybe it's just my foggy memory from the 70's ,80's and 90's but I thought the rule was that you had to hit above the center of the ball for a jump shot to be legal. By the center of the ball I mean the "imaginary" center of the sphere not the spot where the ball sits on the table. Am I just imagining this or is there any one else that remembers the rule being explained this way? :confused:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just curious, but when did the rule on jump shots change. Maybe it's just my foggy memory from the 70's ,80's and 90's but I thought the rule was that you had to hit above the center of the ball for a jump shot to be legal. By the center of the ball I mean the "imaginary" center of the sphere not the spot where the ball sits on the table. Am I just imagining this or is there any one else that remembers the rule being explained this way? :confused:

I remember that being a rule. However, it is in reference to the equater of the cb, with that equater being parallel to the tables surface. Basically stating that a "scoop" is not a legal jump. As long as the tip is not scooping the ball, it is a legal shot.
That said, try jumping with an above center hit. While it can be done at lower angles, you will trap the cb once you get past a certain point of elevation.
Chuck

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
change?

You have a double http://

I'm unaware of any change since I began playing in early '55.

It's always been illegal to scoop under the CB to make it jump. I think it's just the description of the hit that's confusing to some.

You can't make a ball jump unless you do it illegally or hit above the horizontal center and jump it legally.

It may be easier to understand if you imagine the "trick" of making an object ball jump by having the CB strike it above center with force. The cue ball (unless smaller than the OB) cannot strike the OB below center, but can definitely make it jump!

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
It's always been illegal to scoop under the CB to make it jump. I think it's just the description of the hit that's confusing to some.

You can't make a ball jump unless you do it illegally or hit above the horizontal center and jump it legally.

Yeah, the wording can be confusing. If you take away the word "center" and use the word "equator" (imagining the south pole to be where the ball touches the cloth), you have to hit above the equator in order to create the force down into the table required for a legal jump.

What gets confusing is that once you jack up, you can hit above the equator and still create backspin, which can make it feel and look like a low hit.

-Andrew