Is Southwest the best?

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
I have not had the chance to try one and don't know anyone personally that owns one other than members here. Some members here who I have a lot of respect for say they are the best playing cue ever built. I have to imagine they do not all play the same just because wood is wood. For those that have or do play with one, please provide your opinion on playability and if you prefer another builder who it may be, only if you have experience with Southwest Cues. I love Runde cues, but also wonder if I'm missing out by not having a chance to play a Southwest?

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Sw

I have not had the chance to try one and don't know anyone personally that owns one other than members here. Some members here who I have a lot of respect for say they are the best playing cue ever built. I have to imagine they do not all play the same just because wood is wood. For those that have or do play with one, please provide your opinion on playability and if you prefer another builder who it may be, only if you have experience with Southwest Cues. I love Runde cues, but also wonder if I'm missing out by not having a chance to play a Southwest?

Until you own one you will have to trust some one else's personal opinion.

They don't have 13 year waiting list for no reason at all.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never owned one, but I've tried and played a bit with a few of them to see what the deal was and never thought any of them hit better than whatever cue I played with at the time. To each their own.

The earlier ones I tried had what I considered to have a weird shaft taper. I now have a custom cue with a parabolic tapered shaft that is similar, but I use a Predator FAT shaft mostly with that cue. It is a customized Titlist conversion.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not just use the search function for those subjects that come up 2-3 times every month?
Didn't take much more than 10 seconds to find this threat.
Although it doesn't start with your question the subject of Southwest comes up.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=416904

Just enter "southwest" in the search box.

As to your question, I've never noticed them being any better or worse than any of the custom cues.
I've never played any better when I play with a Southwest vs any other cue.
I feel at least 50% of the Southwest price is hype and rumors, but that's just my opinion.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
I've hit with quite a few, some played great, some meh. I've also seen quite a few with a warped butt, more than any other type. I really don't get it but to each his own.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
How much about Southwest is for status and how much is playability? From reading here, I'd guess at least 60% status.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Franklin's were the real deal. But since his passing, SW's are an average custom cue as far as playability. IMO, Your paying for a name.
I got a new one in 2004, had to wait 7 years.

The cue played very stiff, was too much rearward balanced, and hit like the above poster said....Meh. I got rid of it within 3 mo.
I've hit maybe 6-8 newer ones over the last 15 years. All of them were toooo stiff for me.

I prefer a little more whip.

The only 2 times I played with one of Jerry's cue's, it was quite a different cue, but both were 12.25 shafts, and and were "just right".

With the wait list at 10+years and the cost of them..... blah, I'll spend my $ elsewhere.

There are so many good cue makers out there, IMO, your not missing much.

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're hitting with a Runde you're all ready hitting with one of the best hitting cues there is ! :)

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I own many cues due to chasing after that magic feather and now have a nice collection of customs.

I will give each playing time depending on where and what I am playing.

They all feel great but for me the SW just feel the most natural and comfortable in my hand.

Cues from the great cue makers all play and feel great and there isn't very much difference in them but the tip can make a big difference as the type of wood used. Some makers use a full core so they can control the feel and make sure that all of their cues feel the same. Sometimes there may be a clunker but that happens in anything and may also be due to the owner.

A friend bought a Hercek at the Derby years ago. He wanted and insisted on having a full splice cue. I tried it and wasn't impressed. He took it to a cue reapair vendor and had both shafts turned down under 12 mm. I think it was 11.5 or so because he said he can control the ball better and said it put more draw on the ball. He also had the wrap changed. He totally ruined that cue. The shafts were turned down too much and the tapers were changed. Years later he traded it in with a vendor for SW that he also FU.

🎱

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Way too stiff for me - like playing with a broom, and this was a Franklin era.
Everybody likes different hits so you may love it
Jason

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
In my opinion no and I have shot with a few of them. I believe people who have monetary gain will tout them as the best thing since sliced bread but I have hit with cues for much much less that hit better to me. Remember hit is subjective though and maybe if you are a weak mental player then the idea of playing with a SW might improve your game. :wink:

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion no and I have shot with a few of them. I believe people who have monetary gain will tout them as the best thing since sliced bread but I have hit with cues for much much less that hit better to me. Remember hit is subjective though and maybe if you are a weak mental player then the idea of playing with a SW might improve your game. :wink:

^^^^^^^^^ this.....

Randy

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a Southwest that was great and another not so much. Both Franklins. It's all a matter of personal taste. What makes Southwest a great cue does not hold true for everyone, just like Pleasures of Small Motions and laminated low-deflection shafts. Until you own one and play with it for some time, you won't know.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no cue that is the best nor will there ever be. One mans magic wand is another mans tree branch with a tip on it. They play fine but the look how special I am because I play with a south west is a huge factor. I gave up customs when I realized I don't want anyone to notice me for the cue in my hand but the way I play that matters

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
I am puzzled by SW cues also.

I have tried 2 cues with exact wood combination (both ebony forearm with PH points), they play the EXACT opposite, one very stiff with a lot of deflection, one is much less stiff and almost a low deflection cue. I just could not believe it. both are newer SW's.

I have been told by some SW collectors there is a reason many ONLY crave Jerry Franklin SW, but still there are hits and misses to some. a Pro in Vietnam recently bought a Eb/Eb Jerry SW and it was almost unplayable to him due to the balance was too too much backward.

Most top pros in Taiwan use SW cues (ebony forearm), and as I heard, all of them are DPK or Jerry era SW's, I am not 100% sure though, hope some one would correct me.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Until you own one you will have to trust some one else's personal opinion.
They don't have 13 year waiting list for no reason at all.

This, up there ^^^^^^, but really each to their own. As customs go the Franklin SW are the shit, personally I prefer the older Scruggs cues from about the early 90's.... as customs go.
But honestly, my personal player preference is my Predator, it just fits me better. But a cue choice is very personal thing, you have to play with what suits you and what you like. I have friends here that that have Franklin SW's, Sugartrees, Joseys...stc... and I like most of them, just not as well as my Predator

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a Franklin era BEM pacifier... as someone else posted, a little butt-heavy.
Didn't really bond with it... meh. Sold it, made a few $$.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
I have no intention of switching from my Runde cues. I was just wondering if there was any kind of consensus that Southwest were that admired for there play. I certainly understand why they are collectible considering the demand for them. I appreciate all the feedback. Thx