Dye keeps coming off leather

cueguy

Just a repair guy
Silver Member
I just put a stack leather wrap on a Predator and trying to die it black. It seems to go on well.
Dye_before_zpsq6axf0my.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
But after giving it plenty of time to dry, I have tried sealer and Tiger's burnishing liquid. Both seem to bring the dye right off and I am trying to make it jet black.
Dye_after_zps6d0kalja.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I haven't done one of these in a while - is there something else I need to put on it before the burnishing liquid?
Thanks!
Larry

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any kind of sealer or burnishing will keep it form taking the dye. Also the type of dye you use makes a difference. It needs to be a little rough when you put the first dye into it. Then sand smooth and apply more dye. Then burnish it.

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
When I can, I soak the leather strand in the black dye before I install it. Preferably, overnight. Then I still add stain after each grit. Sand, stain, burnish, repeat.

cueguy

Just a repair guy
Silver Member
Thanks guys!

Any kind of sealer or burnishing will keep it form taking the dye. Also the type of dye you use makes a difference. It needs to be a little rough when you put the first dye into it. Then sand smooth and apply more dye. Then burnish it.

Thanks for all the help you guys!
I do believe I sanded too smooth before starting to dye. I backed off a little and it took the dye much better. And he loves the cue ;-)
This place is great.
Thanks again.

Larry

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is great to hear back from you that you got the problem solved. I often wonder if people try the things suggested in threads as we rarely hear back anything.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is great to hear back from you that you got the problem solved. I often wonder if people try the things suggested in threads as we rarely hear back anything.

Even just as a spectator in the Cuemaker forum I feel the same way. I learn a lot here and check this forum every day, I read every post. But if we don't here the results of suggestions it's hard to know what worked.