Table Size at Professional Tournaments

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe someone has more insight on this topic than I do. I understand that if a tournament is being held in a pre-existing establishment, there aren't a lot of options as far as which what size tables will be used. However, does anyone know what's up with all of these professional tournaments being played in convention centers on 7' tables? The tables have to be setup and broken down before and after the tournament, so is there an overwhelming reason that a lot of professional tournaments are being played on 7' tables?

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to Mark Griffin it's the width of a box truck. No bullshit, it's the biggest table that can go sideways into a box truck. This is the reason he personally gave me when I complained about pro tournaments being run on bar tables. It's a legit reason considering very heavily into the cost of running a tournament. Mark is a straight up guy and I hate bar tables but money talks and bullshit walks and this is the reason.

Last edited:

John Disque

Banned
Bar-tables are very popular in the US for purely economical reasons. Room owners finally figured out that they can make a lot more money with more, and smaller, tables & the tables themselves are a lot cheaper and easier to set up and maintain.

It's all there is to it.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to Mark Griffin it's the width of a box truck. No bullshit, it's the biggest table that can go sideways into a box truck. This is the reason he personally gave me when I complained about pro tournaments being run on bar tables. It's a legit reason considering very heavily into the cost of running a tournament. Mark is a straight up guy and I hate bar tables but money takes and bullshit walks and this is the reason.
Thanks!!! Sounds logical if that's the real reason.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bar-tables are very popular in the US for purely economical reasons. Room owners finally figured out that they can make a lot more money with more, and smaller, tables & the tables themselves are a lot cheaper and easier to set up and maintain.

It's all there is to it.
I understand why a room owner would choose 7' tables over 9' tables, which is why I carefully stated my question to exclude tournaments in pre-existing establishments.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member

It's all there is to it.

I see you over exerted your attention span in other threads already.... this is what's wrong with this forum

John Disque

Banned
Other than what I mentioned above - The popularity and state of American pool is dictated by the leagues (particularly APA).

If you own a room you want the league players in your room because this is who spends money on alcohol, food, etc...

A real pool player will always prefer a 9 foot table - but they're not there to spend money. --- Most league players play once a week so blowing off $60 a week to have fun with their friends is "no big deal." Real players play 7 days a week and if they spent $60 a night = $420 per week. (They would have to get a job just to maintain their game - and it's not going to happen).

In the end - the room-owner is forced to cater to leagues and bangers if they want to stay in business -- so the bartable industry exploded and this is what we're left with).

John Disque

Banned
I may've misread your question -- Most of the bigger tournaments are sponsored by Diamond and they can fit 40 bar-tables in 1 truck. (or maybe it's 44?) -- anyway they have the shipping and set-up down to a science -- + bar-tables bring out more players because there's more bar-table players and this is what I was getting-at with the explosion of this American Market.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may've misread your question -- Most of the bigger tournaments are sponsored by Diamond and they can fit 40 bar-tables in 1 truck. (or maybe it's 44?) -- anyway they have the shipping and set-up down to a science -- + bar-tables bring out more players because there's more bar-table players and this is what I was getting-at with the explosion of this American Market.
Thanks. This seems to be more related to my question.

PoolChump

Banned
This is sad news

It's all there is to it.

OMG if the major tournaments are going to be played on small 7 footers, pool is going to be LESS popular. Playing on a small 7 foot table is so much easier than playing on a standard 9 foot table.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to Mark Griffin it's the width of a box truck. No bullshit, it's the biggest table that can go sideways into a box truck. This is the reason he personally gave me when I complained about pro tournaments being run on bar tables. It's a legit reason considering very heavily into the cost of running a tournament. Mark is a straight up guy and I hate bar tables but money takes and bullshit walks and this is the reason.

He said that to you in private, but what he says in public is that bar table tournaments are more popular.

Honestly I don't blame CSI. It makes total sense - if you're losing money on it anyway, you might as well try to minimize the losses. It just sucks that it's the way things are.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I know is I'll never pay one cent to watch someone play on a 7' table...not buying a ticket, a stream or a dvd, and if the event is free I won't pay for the gas money and parking to get there. I'm also not going to pay to watch pro baseball at the local playground, or pro basketball in my driveway.

Sheesh...I can't believe this is even a thing.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still say 8 ball should be the only game played on 7 footers. And even those 7 foot diamond pro cut tables are starting to look easy compared to when I first started hearing about them.

Honestly, there are enough rooms in the country that have 9 footers available to hold big tournaments, the problem is that the promoters want to be in a convention hall so that way they can charge for spectators. And for that, I can't blame them. That's lost revenue that cannot be had holding those tournies in a hall.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The promoters can do what they want, I will not watch or attend a bar table pro event unless I am looking to get autographs. CSI is a great pool promoter and Mark is a no crap guy that I like and have talked to several times, but 7' tables have no business in a pro event.

I know how Poland must have felt when Germany was looking at it funny, you really don't like it but it's out of your hands to do anything about it, it's just forced down your throats.

Those YouTube videos of the US Open 8 ball matches are all great, nice quality, good players, I can't watch them.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
the day may come when the answer to whether pool was ever played on a table larger than 3 1/2 X 7' might garner someone a lotta cheese on some game show, it is what it is to those of us that are suffering through the transition

our game NEEDS standardization at the pro level

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
the day may come when the answer to whether pool was ever played on a table larger than 3 1/2 X 7' might garner someone a lotta cheese on some game show, it is what it is to those of us that are suffering through the transition

our game NEEDS standardization at the pro level

You wouldn't believe the number of people that tell me my 10' table doesn't exist - the only thing stopping me from making $$$ off of it, is that players won't bet a dime the sun will come up tomorrow.
Jason

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too Old to start back

I used to play a bit(never particularly well) until about 9 years ago. I am now 58 years old and have to play currently at the few local places left nearby as i no longer have a home table.Nothing except bar boxes any closer than 2 hrs that i am aware of. I will get another table soon but it will be a 3 1/2 x 7 due to space. Is it still possible at this late age to work up to the level of competitive amateur status or has that train left the station? Fortunately my health is good and i am semi-retired so i don't have the obstacles i once did. Thanks,Whiteoak