Unknown Cue Maker

billy-ks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had posted this in Ask the cuemaker section but I think it may get more response here.
I bought this cue recentley. I was told it was a Russ Espiritu but after contacting him I found out it was not. Now I am reaching out to all of you to possibility help. Please let me know if yo might know the cuemaker.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0521.JPG
    IMG_0521.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,286
  • IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,259
  • IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,255
  • IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,279
I had posted this in Ask the cuemaker section but I think it may get more response here.
I bought this cue recentley. I was told it was a Russ Espiritu but after contacting him I found out it was not. Now I am reaching out to all of you to possibility help. Please let me know if yo might know the cuemaker.
Thanks

I do not know, but I love the design. Very cool looking cue. Good luck finding info about the cue maker.

billy-ks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I also love the design. I want to get it refinished but two different cue makers told me that they would not touch it because of the scrim saw work.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crystal Herbert......................

She does the scrimshaw work for Durbin, Gilbert and other makers. Might contact her and see if she did this one. cuescrimshaw.com

1997blake

Banned
made overseas maybe?

Crystal Herbert
She does the scrimshaw work for Durbin, Gilbert and other makers. Might contact her and see if she did this one. cuescrimshaw.com

i don't believe so, appears machined, the ring inlays look like garbage as well.
made overseas maybe?
is that wrap plastic or vinyl?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,181

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am no expert.
But this cue does not look like the work of a top custom maker.
It may look better in person.
It almost looks like a decal overlay cue.

billy-ks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue maker

For all that thought it looked like vinyl overlay or a cheap import. For your information Jerry Oliver built the cue and he tells me it's worth $2000.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For all that thought it looked like vinyl overlay or a cheap import. For your information Jerry Oliver built the cue and he tells me it's worth $2000.

Touchdown!

To be fair the likely reason it looked that way (cheap import) to some has more to do with the condition of the cue than anything else.

I never guessed on this because I really had no idea who made it. It's a very cool cue. I figured somebody would recognize it, it is very unique. Congrats on the find.

Perhaps we can entice you to post new pics after it is refinished? Show it off more completely? :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whoever owned that cue needs to be smacked in the head and not allowed to buy anything nice again. What the hell happened to the grip to make it look like that? Dings, finish messed up, wrap looks like it was made from ugly pink colored rubber.

Yeah, I can see grain in the inlays, so I assume that the points are Ivory. That is very cool that it is a Jerry Olivier cue. He has been around for a long time. I had one of his sneaky pete cues back in the late 90's. It was a very nice hitting cue.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Assuming it is a Jerry Olivier cue, and I believe it is, one of that value would have been signed by him. Usually between the points. His less expensive cues have a logo in the butt plate. If the signature is missing it may have been refinished by someone with very little experience that removed the signature inadvertently. I saw that done to a Paul Mottey years ago. Given that it now looks to be without a signature it would be better to have Jerry refinish and resign the cue. I have owned several of his cues and he is a very nice guy to do business with. I believe he apprenticed with Leonard Bludworth although I may be wrong on that last note. Nice cue, and good rolls to the OP!

Assuming it is a Jerry Olivier cue, and I believe it is, one of that value would have been signed by him. Usually between the points. His less expensive cues have a logo in the butt plate. If the signature is missing it may have been refinished by someone with very little experience that removed the signature inadvertently. I saw that done to a Paul Mottey years ago. Given that it now looks to be without a signature it would be better to have Jerry refinish and resign the cue. I have owned several of his cues and he is a very nice guy to do business with. I believe he apprenticed with Leonard Bludworth although I may be wrong on that last note. Nice cue, and good rolls to the OP!

Yeah, even his lowest end cues (sneaky pete's) were signed by him in between the points. I assume the refinish would be expensive, but well worth it (in order to get it to its original new condition, with a new signature).

billy-ks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have talked with Jerry and he tells me he did two cues like this. He didn't say why it is not signed but then I didn't ask him either. He had quoted me prices on refinishing the cue. It is a tedious process because you can't sand it. You have to pick all the clear off of it with a razor blade. He wants me to send him more pics of it which I will do next week. The pics I took were with a cell phone and I am going to have my daughter in-law who is an avid photographer and has some nice equipment take photos for me. I will keep you all updated on the progress and thanks to all that helped out.