"Johnny Holiday" books

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His book “Continuous Hi-Runs” circa 1984 is a gem - especially his little section on 31 BALL-RUN and why it’s quite different (mental hurdle) from a simple 28 ball run

This from page 6 of the book...

40e55a35bad237fbcb1c09042fedc2ff.jpg

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have both. I think I found the Margo on Amazon about a year ago for $20, I guess I got lucky. And the Ponzi from a friend who had a duplicate.

I just found out Pete Margo reprinted that book in 2009 .
An original would be worth a couple of hundred dollars.
The Ponzi is a rare book , about 1000.00 if you can find someone willing to sell theirs.
There was talk of reprinting the Ponzi also, there must be problems with getting permission from the family or whoever owns the copyright.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just found out Pete Margo reprinted that book in 2009 .
An original would be worth a couple of hundred dollars.
The Ponzi is a rare book , about 1000.00 if you can find someone willing to sell theirs.
There was talk of reprinting the Ponzi also, there must be problems with getting permission from the family or whoever owns the copyright.

Those numbers would be about right.

I just ordered a reprint of the Margo book from Lulu for $15.00 just to see what's in it.

Lou Figueroa

troi

more lucky than good...
Silver Member
Good Stuff

Those numbers would be about right.

I just ordered a reprint of the Margo book from Lulu for $15.00 just to see what's in it.

Lou Figueroa

Thanks. Very good to know. I'll look up the Margo book on Lulu.

I was fortunate to get the 3 Holiday books from Amazon before the price got out of hand. They're all good reads.

Also lucky to have the Ponzi book. It comes up on eBay about once or twice a year. I read it cover to cover the day it arrived. Interesting read on what it was like to be a champion in those days.

Since we're talking about rare books, here's another one I don't see mentioned often:

IMG_0579.jpg

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
4 Books available.... 150.00 obo

All three Holiday books, Caras Trick Shots...

2 Autographed....

JV

Attachments

• books_1.jpg
    books_1.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 236
  • books_1a.jpg
    books_1a.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 237
  • books_1b.jpg
    books_1b.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 240

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
^^^^^^.....some things are just strange, Bob.
I know of four people called “Ponzi” ....and the only one who’s real name was Ponzi....
....was the crook, Carlo “Charles” Ponzi

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I've got all three. They are pretty good. He does a lot of patting himself on the back for what he is disclosing in the books, and how well his system works. John D'Amato.

Which now I find amusing.

Because, back then players would NEVER help you improve, so JH actually broke a barrier by telling weaker players how to get better. Bigger fish always ate the smaller ones, and why would anyone want to have the smaller fish eventually gobble them up? Depression era thinking. He broke a barrier by telling the truth first, kinda like a whistleblower. :thumbup:

troi

more lucky than good...
Silver Member
Who reads books anyways.

I have a copy of Encyclopedia of Pocket Billiards signed by Johnny Holiday to none other than the infamous 'SuperStroke'.

When I opened the cover and saw this, my first thought was:

... I don't think the guy ever read this book!

IMG_0598.jpg

Last edited: