Question

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know some players remove the chalk from the tip of their cue before they put it in the case. I've never done it.

What is the benefit?

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I do it to keep chalk out of my case.

I don't want chalk in the tubes of my case.

It's just what I do and have no reason.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keeps the case from getting chalk all over it on the way down which then gets on the shaft. Just ask the poolroom owner if it’s ok to use the carpet first. If not it takes two seconds with a napkin.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The important thing is to swipe your tip on the carpet before putting it away.

...and...here...we...go....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I know some players remove the chalk from the tip of their cue before they put it in the case. I've never done it.

What is the benefit?

First player I ever saw do this, every time was Janette Lee.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Been a long time, but there actually is a reason.

Do you put your shafts in tip first or the joint first? If you do the tip first, then the chalk build up will probably be greater, but what's nice about this is when you travel allot.

The shafts will not rattle around.
ESPECIALLY if you leave em in the car trunk. Car rear ends always Hop at high speeds, especially the fwd cars with more weight on the front wheels.

I used to shim em up (tips up) with a piece of foam when traveling. The shafts moving around in your cue case, when headin 'down the highway does tear up the top of your shaft tube material and will wear on the shaft wood.

So yeah....that is a good reason.

But Me I always like looking at the tips on top, too pick the one I wanted for that particular situation, especially when I played full time, I always had 3 shafts of the same.

One tip I was breaking in, one was broken in and the third was about ready for a new one.

If I ever damaged one, it would not effect the game I was in.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. I always put the tips up. No need to change anything.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All depends on type of tip. If its layered then it goes tip down to keep layers together. If its standard water-buffalo tip then tip up because water-buffalo are claustrophobic and your tip won't play as good if its nervous.;) Seriously, it doesn't matter. I used a Fellini for yrs with tips down and never noticed any increase in bluing. A lot of it is monkey see/monkey do. People see it and mimic it.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i put em tip down with blue tips,
yeah theres a bit of chalk in there, i dont care

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was told that removing excess chalk from the tip after play helps prevent miss cues., logic was the chalk gets hard on the tip which then in turn doesn't allow for chalking before the new playing session to hold chalk well, thus resulting in a miss hit and requiring tip scuffing, so, I guess it helps add life to the tip too????
what I was told,... thought I'd share.