Diamond 8ft Pro Table Rubber Cushions

tigerwds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need to buy new rail cushions for my table should I go with the Artemis intercontinental
No.66 K55 Profile or the Black Diamond K55 or something else? Will Artemis play too fast for a 8FT Pro? Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need to buy new rail cushions for my table should I go with the Artemis intercontinental
No.66 K55 Profile or the Black Diamond K55 or something else? Will Artemis play too fast for a 8FT Pro? Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.
IIRC Diamond only uses the Artemis on 9ft tables for the speed issue you mention.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I'd just put the same as what came off the table, which should be the black Diamond K-55. You may mess up your speed game up if you go with cushions that are too fast for the table.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I'd just put the same as what came off the table, which should be the black Diamond K-55. You may mess up your speed game up if you go with cushions that are too fast for the table.
Yep. Agree 100%. Plus Artemis are WAAAY more expensive. Replace with what Diamond uses.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my experience, the Diamond Black rubber plays every bit as good as Artemis rubber for substantially less.

tigerwds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cushions

It shows 7-10 years of quality play for the Black Diamond cushions and 20-25 years of quality play for the Artemis cushions. Why is there so much difference on the quality of play? I'm assuming they are talking about how long the cushions last.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It shows 7-10 years of quality play for the Black Diamond cushions and 20-25 years of quality play for the Artemis cushions. Why is there so much difference on the quality of play? I'm assuming they are talking about how long the cushions last.

They are. That being said, I've seen photos of Artemis rubbing having dry rot after 10 years so results may vary I suppose.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not a mechanic but just curious: Why do you need new rubber? Did it fail? If so, how old is the table? Only asking because I can’t recall hearing about any diamond cushion failures on these forums over the years. Only replacements due to customers wanting to change dimensions.

tigerwds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cushions

I have a older Diamond red label I bought used the rails are hard with little to no cushion compression which makes the table play very inconsistent which is messing with my speed and the way the cue ball reacts off the rails so when I go play on a good Diamond table at a pool hall my game is off. The cushions probably lasted as long as they were suppose to it's just time to replace them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a older Diamond red label I bought used the rails are hard with little to no cushion compression which makes the table play very inconsistent which is messing with my speed and the way the cue ball reacts off the rails so when I go play on a good Diamond table at a pool hall my game is off. The cushions probably lasted as long as they were suppose to it's just time to replace them.
The main reason Red labels play funny is not so much the rubber itself but the angle of the sub-rails. When they changed that(and cushions) on the Blues they play fine. You can make a Red into a Blue spec but its not cheap.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ah, makes sense. Just be careful its really the cushions got old and deteriorated over time. They may be fine, and it could be the sub-rail angle difference between red and blue label, as garczar mentioned. It would suck to pay money and labor for new cushions, and end up exactly where you started.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, makes sense. Just be careful its really the cushions got old and deteriorated over time. They may be fine, and it could be the sub-rail angle difference between red and blue label, as garczar mentioned. It would suck to pay money and labor for new cushions, and end up exactly where you started.
When Diamond came out with the Blue label version they did go to Artemis on the 9ft but the main change was the sub-rail angle. On the Red's the top of the cushion was angled down too much making banks go short. A good mechanic can change it but as isaid above it may not be a cheap fix. I've played a lot on the Red's and yes they bank a lil short but you adjust pretty fast. Not a huge deal imo. My home room hosted 3-4 CamelPro events on Red-labels and nobody whined at all.

tigerwds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cushions

I don't have a problem how my red label Diamond 8ft pro is set up it just needs new cushions the ones I have are hard as concrete and the cue ball and object balls react terrible. I just wanted to know the best cushions to go with I plan on putting simonis 860 tournament blue back on it and replacing all pockets they say the newer pockets from Diamond don't leave black marks on the balls anymore.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Diamond came out with the Blue label version they did go to Artemis on the 9ft but the main change was the sub-rail angle. On the Red's the top of the cushion was angled down too much making banks go short. A good mechanic can change it but as isaid above it may not be a cheap fix. I've played a lot on the Red's and yes they bank a lil short but you adjust pretty fast. Not a huge deal imo. My home room hosted 3-4 CamelPro events on Red-labels and nobody whined at all.

Do you know if in addition to the sub-rail angle change does the rail height (thickness) also need to change to go from red to blue label? If so, thinner of thicker?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
For what its worth I play at a few places that have both Red and Blue label Diamonds, the Reds seem to play faster than the Blues and bank shorter.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I have a older Diamond red label I bought used
the rails are hard with little to no cushion compression which makes the table
play very inconsistent which is messing with my speed and the way the cue
ball reacts off the rails so when I go play on a good Diamond table at a pool
hall my game is off. The cushions probably lasted as long as they were suppose
to it's just time to replace them.

Diamond's history of cushions:
Brunswick Superspeed- Black Label
Championship Fleetwood K55- Early Red Labels, Black Label.
Diamond Black K55- Red Label
Artemis Intercontinental 66(K55) Late Red Label / Blue Label

Current: 7' 8' Come with Diamond Black K55

My $0.02: I use Championship Tour Edition K55 on the old Red &
Black Label Diamonds and they play great. The nose height is just
a little higher and helps with the "banking short" problem. Just a lil
trick I learned from one of the best.

Buying a new top is a pricey option and I would buy new before I
went that route. Good Luck with your table!

TFT

Attachments

• e725847354edcf17e19cb1689c1459c45941eab9-1.jpg
    e725847354edcf17e19cb1689c1459c45941eab9-1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 115

viper99ta

Trent,
In trying to find Championship Tour Edition K55, I assume to buy the 1-3/4" version not 1-5/8"? Having a hard time finding them.