Bobcad/Cam

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haver ver. 20 of Bobcad. I have gone through the training cds and they seem very good. I have not as of yet cut anything out on my taig cnc mill. I was wondering if any one would be willing to give me some simple inlay programs for both the inlay and the pockets. Please correct me if I am wrong but figuring out the gap between the pair is the hardest part.

thanks, Jimbo

PetreeCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mc2 said:
I haver ver. 20 of Bobcad. I have gone through the training cds and they seem very good. I have not as of yet cut anything out on my taig cnc mill. I was wondering if any one would be willing to give me some simple inlay programs for both the inlay and the pockets. Please correct me if I am wrong but figuring out the gap between the pair is the hardest part.

thanks, Jimbo

Yes... figuring out the right offset number for your machine is something you will have to do through testing and adjusting code. It can also change from tool to tool if you are not using bits that are consistent in tolerance.

Give me your email address and I will email you some sample code to use.

JWP

kydartmaster

Wannabe 1-pocket player
Silver Member
shotmaker said:
I, thought mastercam was closer to $30,000 That must have been a typo .

Yes it is, depending on the addons. My package for Mastercam was around 20,000.

mark smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the tool path offsets for pockets / parts is a function of tool size. you can make allowances for spindle run out when doing your drawings. if your spindle is dead on you will need to make an allowance for fitting the parts together, the way i accomplish this is by offsetting the part tool path by tool RADIUS minus .003". many ways to skin cat though, playing with it is the best way to learn.

Mark Smith
Mark Smith Custom Cues
Russellville, Arkansas
479-970-0056

Bill the Cat

Proud maker of CAT cues
Silver Member
Don't forget about the radius of corners

Mc2 said:

thanks, Jimbo

The other thing you don't want to forget is that the radius of all corners will be limited to the radius of the tool you will be using (unless you plan to recut inside corners by hand).

Bill the Cat

Proud maker of CAT cues
Silver Member
I wouldn't advertise the fact that you are a thief!

JoeyInCali said:
My bootleg copy was $10 :eek: :D
j/k ;)

How would you feel if someone cheated you out of the value of your work?

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I have had extensive experience with BobCad / Cam and their joke of a support team since purchasing Ver 18.
Version 20 is what I now use and it does exactly what I need.

I do a lot of my inlay designing in AutoCad then transfer the file to BobCad ver. 20 for final touch up, making the tool path lines, and G-code generation.

If you are interested in BobCad software or have questions about how it works contact me.
I will be glad to help you if I can.

If you have bought a CueMonster (the best CNC cue inlay machine IMHO) you really need to call as I can help you get off to a good start.

kydartmaster

Wannabe 1-pocket player
Silver Member
Bill the Cat said:
How would you feel if someone cheated you out of the value of your work?

dont worry Bill...any of us that bought or have Mastercam know that you cant "bootleg" Mastercam

Adonisy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear All:
I use CorelDRAW 12, and I save as
dxf file

and I use Bobcad 17 open it ... but nothing...

which format should I use? autocad 2000 ? autocad R13 ?

and have any restriction?

thanks

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Adonisy said:
Dear All:
dxf file

thanks

A DFX file should open in BobCad.
perhaps it is the version 17 that is not compatable.
I know version 18 had problems with elipses.
Bobcad 20 seems to have fixed most of the basic bugs.

billiardbum

Listen U Might Learn!!!
Silver Member
Adonisy said:
Dear All:
dxf file

thanks
You definately need to open it with version 20 or later...Let me know if you need version 20, I can probably hook you up. Jim

Adonisy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
billiardbum said:
You definately need to open it with version 20 or later...Let me know if you need version 20, I can probably hook you up. Jim

thanks... PM sent~~~:)

RocketQ

It's Not Rocket Science
Silver Member
Bobcad/cam

I am not sure what the rest of you are talking about with the software support. When you buy software..... commercial software like this you have to buy a support contract. You can buy the software for 500$ and the support for 150$. I thought this was reasonable in comparison to something like Virtual Gibbs 30,000$ for the software and 1500$ a year for support. Get the training videos and you will be a wiz in no time.