CB and OB very close

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When the gap between cb and ob is about a quarter of an inch (0.25"), it allows for a pretty wide range of aiming options that produce nearly the same results, meaning you can aim anywhere between a 7/8 full hit to a thin 1/4 ball hit and produce the same shot angle, give or take a degree.

With a quarter inch separation, no matter how thin you hit the ob, it can only be sent a maximum of about 26° left or right of the centerline between the balls. So, based on the math, aiming for a 3/4 ball hit would send the ob away on a path only 1° different from the path created by a full ball hit. A 1/2 ball hit would send the ob down a path only 2° different than a full ball hit, and a quarter ball hit would send it off around 5°. This ignores CIT. Factoring in CIT the results are more likely to be like this: Aiming for the left 3/4 aim point on the ob would result in about a 2° to 3° shot to the left, depending on the exact amount of throw that occurs. The throw would be more of a factor than the slight 1° cut result. Applying some outside spin would keep the ob path closer to 0° off. Aiming for a half ball hit, or even as thin as a quarter ball hit would provide about the same results, a 2 to 5 degree cut angle countered with 2 to 5 degrees of CIT.

With a half inch gap between the balls, using any aim between a 7/8 and a half ball hit will also produce a fairly straight shot, meaning the ob will travel very nearly the same path it would if you shot it straight on, a full ball aim. A quarter ball hit would result in a small cut angle of about 5 to 7 degrees off from a straight on/full ball hit, accounting for throw.

You know a whole lot of stuff....:smile:
Thanks for the info

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I tried this about a hundred times when I first saw it a couple of years back. Never got comfortable with it, takes a lot of practice. Pretty cool shot if you spend enough time perfecting it though.

A late sparring partner of Mosconi taught us the trick to not fouling close ball shots.
His name was Wayne Norcross and he was our tournament director for a long time.
Basically, you set up where your grip is at the end of your follow through, to the extreme. Grip hand all the way to your shoulder , locked up.
Take the cue and line up the tip till it almost hits the ball.
Then just slide your grip hand about an inch or two.
Now, your tip can no longer go past where the grip hand ends up at .
Unless you drop your elbow or move forward.
The tip will just brush the cue ball and dip down to the felt .

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
A late sparring partner of Mosconi taught us the trick to not fouling close ball shots.
His name was Wayne Norcross and he was our tournament director for a long time.
Basically, you set up where your grip is at the end of your follow through, to the extreme. Grip hand all the way to your shoulder , locked up.
Take the cue and line up the tip till it almost hits the ball.
Then just slide your grip hand about an inch or two.
Now, your tip can no longer go past where the grip hand ends up at .
Unless you drop your elbow or move forward.
The tip will just brush the cue ball and dip down to the felt .

I think I saw Dr Dave showing this in a video also. Good info.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I use all wrist (no/minimal arm movement), but with my grip hand hanging straight down as usual. Massey's dart motion might allow a little more precision...

pj
chgo

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use all wrist (no/minimal arm movement), but with my grip hand hanging straight down as usual. Massey's dart motion might allow a little more precision...

pj
chgo

Plus, Massey's technique probably allows for a quicker wrist motion, as the wrist bends naturally that way anyway.

Was playing in a tough ring game with some great players the other day. One guy, who 20 or so years ago was considered one of the best players in the tri-state area, was shooting the 9ball. The cb was less than an inch from the 9, a cut shot of about 15°. He made the shot, then said those shots have always been guesswork for him, when the cb is so close to the ob.

I thought that was interesting, this great player who has beat plenty of pros back in his day, saying that he just guesses on those shots. Anybody else guess on these or do you have a good way of ensuring your aim is correct?

Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfMeI6_Y1GU. At about 4:43, I show a way to be able to accurately setup such shots to practice, the first step to improvement.

For shots up to 30 degree cut, I think double the distance aiming is really good, because you can aim the center of the CB directly at a point on the OB and there's no 'optical distortion'; over 30 degree cut is much harder. Sometimes it seems then that closing one eye helps me overcome double image problems I experience when that close and trying to do extreme cuts.

But collision-induced throw can be extra large, so making an effort to use top or bottom; or use outside spin corresponding to the cut angle (squirt can be ignored when this close).