Jumping up !!!

SHORTY WRIGHT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have a proven method or way to stop from jumping up on your shots ? Please reply only if you have the knowledge ... thanks

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
take a good breath before the shot
bring the blood pressure down
settle your physical and mental
shoot

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CONCENTRATE ON WHERE YOU'RE TIP LANDS AFTER THE SHOT.
If you rise up you will never know.
Added benefit: Concentrating on this helps train for a straighter stroke.

Side bar: It's a much cooler view watching the entire shot when down and steady.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think jumping up is a combination of two things.

One is simply fundamentals. I think staying down and following through can be drilled into your muscle memory. Following Zero-X drills, I shot 1000 cue balls from the headspot straight into pockets (no object ball) with a focus on nothing but staying down and following through. I paused all other pool playing and practice entirely until I hit 1000. You want that burned into your muscle memory so firm that that it stands up to pressure. That leads me to....

Two is familiarity with shots. We tend to fear shots we are not comfortable with. You see it all the time. Low level players shooting with great fundamentals until the need to shoot a hard cut, play a tricky positional shot, or apply some aggressive spin. Next thing you know, all their fundamentals are out the window. They jump up. They drop their shoulder. They jerk at the ball. They don’t follow through. But you saw all those pieces come together in the easy shots. I described drilling fundamentals so they stand up to pressure but the second part is to ease the pressure. You have to get more comfortable with the kinds of shots that make you uncomfortable. You have to notice what they are and get back in the dojo and practice them 20 times in a row every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have a proven method or way to stop from jumping up on your shots ? Please reply only if you have the knowledge ... thanks
Jumping up/raising your head and entire upper body as you follow through can often be due to faulty fundamentals - particularly grip hand position on the cue. If your grip hand is way too far up or too far back on the cue, there is absolutely no way to have any follow-through without your entire shoulder, head, torso, etc. raising up – absolutely impossible to do it!

When the tip of the cue is addressed right up to the back of the cue ball, the forearm should be vertical / perpendicular to the floor / table surface, when viewed from the side of the player.

Last edited:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl uses heavy arm weights. If your head bobs a lot you might try a diving bell, they pretty heavy.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to struggle with this problem and still do a little on certain days. From my experience I would suggest make sure you pause before you start your final stroke and locate the contact point on the object ball. I found sometimes I would start my final stroke before I was locked in then I would jump up on the shot because I wasn’t ready to shoot. Also use a slow backstroke and make sure your not starting to move on your backstroke. Hope this helps.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take 4 feet of fishing line with a hook on one end. Place the hook under your groin. Tie the other end around your neck.

You will never pop up again!

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don´t run before you can walk.

What i mean with that. Take away all interfering parts and just shoot balls straight to pocket. No object ball at all. Then you can fully keep focus to stroke mechanics and staying still. You need to start practice or playing session just shooting like that about 5-10 minutes. Do this 2-3 weeks and really put a lot of focus staying still. Then when u doing drills or playing start notice right away when u move because you practiced that only!

If you try do it while focusing aiming,speed, spin, deflection, weather etc etc.. you
start to play bad. Isolate problem and fix it. You need to make a lot of good repetition to replace bad habits. No other way... if you are not blessed with women brain of multitasking.

Here is example vid of longer program i made to my little sister to fix her bad habits. It is narrated to Finnish but you can see me doing trough it once.
https://youtu.be/gTCmF7EcN-M

Here is my little sister shooting spot shot challenge after month doing this program
https://youtu.be/IUg1rTJz9yw

I just repeat myself. There is no quick fix for that. brainwash bad habits with good focused repetition.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here's a fun one
how about balance a piece of chalk
(or whatever is challenging)
on top of your head
and shoot without dropping it

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I tied a piece of string around a small metal nut and taped the other end to my hat. About 4". It dangled in front of my eyes when I shot but didn't really interfere. Then I practiced. My goal was to shoot and have my cue come to a stop without letting the nut start swinging around.

At first it was bouncing everywhere. Then I got it to stay still but was shooting so softly I couldn't crack an egg with my stroke. Finally I got to where I could shoot most types of shots without any head movement. This was over the course of three days.

At the end of this I felt so solid it was hard to explain. I was playing a tournament in Fargo, ND that weekend and I told my friend I was feeling really strong. SVB showed up and I bought him in the calcutta. Ended up playing him in the finals and since I had all of him the money was a wash regardless of who won. Of course I tried my best but came short and settled for 2nd.

Wanted to work in a funny story and small brag, but the main point is that definitely worked for me. I've done it once since and plan on doing it again soon. I am coaching a 12 year old who is playing super strong but has a little head movement. Time to bust out the string/nut/hat again...

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
jumpin up

Hi there,

jumpin up can be caused by a few things.
First is often just "bad fundamentals". - but (from my expirience) the 2 "most made" mistakes are "not trusting" in your ability and your eye pattern.
As soon as you re not really trusting your stroke you ll have (often, if not always :) ) tension in your body (whereever it may be). to have not really a routine with your eye pattern can also be the cause to come up in your stroke. ( also often a result of not trusting...so many start flickering around with their eyes as well).

bb9ball

Registered
One tip I like, is to work on replacing the habit with a new one.

In this case, think about staying down and not not jumping up. In the end, the result would be the same.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Short answer, don't.

Watch whatever moves come to a stop before you get up. Try and make sure you're not in the way before you slam anything but if you're practicing, you could even learn a few things from shooting yourself.
Unless it's your foot. Then you're doing it wrong.

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there,

jumpin up can be caused by a few things.
First is often just "bad fundamentals". - but (from my expirience) the 2 "most made" mistakes are "not trusting" in your ability and your eye pattern.
As soon as you re not really trusting your stroke you ll have (often, if not always :) ) tension in your body (whereever it may be). to have not really a routine with your eye pattern can also be the cause to come up in your stroke. ( also often a result of not trusting...so many start flickering around with their eyes as well).

Great answer!
Eye Pattern is usually the main culprit.

randyg

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Fantastic replies already. I also believe there's another very subtle cause of jumping up, even among the elite players. I remember discussing it with Steve Mizerak once, and I wish I could remember exactly what he said, but the gist of it is this:

Ensure that all your decisions have been made before you get over the cue ball (or, as the top instructors always say, "make all your decisions standing"). If you are still in conceptualization mode while over the cue ball when you are down over the shot, it diverts your attention from maintaining proper focus on your stroke mechanics, which can lead to the delivery of a less than optimal stroke, or possibly even jumping up.

I usually refer to this issue as a commitment issue. If your decisions (stroke speed and direction) are all made before you get over the cue ball, you're more committed to the shot than otherwise. With greater commitment, Steve felt, and I agree, you'll improve your chances of delivering an optimal stroke.