WWYD - Getting on 2 ball

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The shot doesn’t work with the CB as in your diagram. It has to be where I placed it.
I would offer to bet but I think it's going to be a long time before we will see a table together.:)

Can you explain why it doesn't work?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would offer to bet but I think it's going to be a long time before we will see a table together.:)

I'm curious, too
granted it's been awhile since I've seen a table
but can't the angle in bob's diagram *help* the cb get to the deuce?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

With the CB under the 1 as in your diagram, you are cutting the 1 a lot more, so the CB has too much speed, and not enough spin. The spin runs out by the time it gets to the second rail. I tried it a bunch of times today (but cut that out from the video).

In my first video, I was about parallel to the 1 ball. That was my first instinct. That almost got there, but never did. Today I tried your CB placement, closer to the end rail than the 1. That was worse for the spin to sped ratio.

When I went the other direction with the CB, so I was cutting the 1 the least, that was the clear winner. By far way more spin, and a slow enough speed to stop before the 2 ball.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Bob's shot totally works. I did it several times. I also noted that his CB placement which was different than the OP's was why it worked.

All my posts about going below the 9 were based off the placement of the CB in the first post video. I realize it was stated that we had BIH. I just didn't vary the CB position because I thought we were looking for validation on how to get below the 2 from the OP's position.

FWIW, we could also thin the 1 from the long rail and go 4 banks under the 2 :thumbup:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you notice that the 1 ball is rattling in off the left jaw of the pocket?

Under the 1 ball is totally different. Completely different amount of spin.I just tried it again, trying to hit it as full as possible into the jaw. Its off a mile. Then I went to the successful (for me) CB placement. It worked perfectly the second try.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob's shot totally works. I did it several times. I also noted that his CB placement which was different than the OP's was why it worked.

All my posts about going below the 9 were based off the placement of the CB in the first post video. I realize it was stated that we had BIH. I just didn't vary the CB position because I thought we were looking for validation on how to get below the 2 from the OP's position.

FWIW, we could also thin the 1 from the long rail and go 4 banks under the 2 :thumbup:

I'd love to see a video of your success of this The_JV with the CB under the 1. I tried it dozens of times from all different CB locations, and the only one that would work for me is the CB further from the rail so it is barely cutting the 1.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To make sure we are on the same page for ball placement, I took some closeups with my iPhone of each important ball position. I looked at the still in post #1 (which is from the overhead video camera with a wide angle lens) and tried my best to match. I marked these locations with doughnuts last night, and that is what was used for video #3. This morning, I took these stills of those locations:

IMG_0665.jpeg

IMG_0664.jpeg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0667.jpeg

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/SNt5_obneCQ

Here is video #4. Trying Bob's position of the CB. 40 sec long.

At the end I tried the other position. Look at the difference in spin by the time the CB gets to the second rail. Its night and day difference. Its like the trick shot where you hit the OB dead in the face and the CB spins in place for 30 seconds. That is the furthest extreme of this shot. The only way to get that kind of spin is to hit the OB as full as possible. Any additional cut removes spin from the CB, and instead adds linear speed to it.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Part 5: https://youtu.be/wdyQektxsGo

I tried 2 different 4 rail routes just now after reading your comments. The best I could do for each is shown below (2 total shots, 20 sec video). The way you described I could never get anywhere near the 4th rail. And the other way was no good either. Did you actually execute one of these and get good on the 2? If so, please share:):):)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need to cut that 1 thin and aim to just miss the 9. Been a bit since I hit it, but I don't believe I use any draw at all. Just siding...

I'm going to be away from my table for a week or so, but I'll do my best to remember to record an attempt.

The later shots in that video are like that. Just spin, no draw, and a thinner and softer hit on the 1.

I'll ping the thread in 2 weeks to see if you can try again:)

In the mean time, if anyone else can make a video I'd certainly appreciate it. Trying a shot for a long time does take some out of me...

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Part 5: https://youtu.be/wdyQektxsGo

I tried 2 different 4 rail routes just now after reading your comments. The best I could do for each is shown below (2 total shots, 20 sec video). The way you described I could never get anywhere near the 4th rail. And the other way was no good either. Did you actually execute one of these and get good on the 2? If so, please share:):):)

The first attempt was what I was suggesting (tongue and cheek).

However two things....:
-We have drastically different definitions on "thinning" a ball. You hitting the one decently solid.
-You aren't hitting the CB very hard. Table dependent of course, but there's way more velocity to be had.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At my level I would pot the 1, go one rail and try to billiard off the 2 to pot the 7. I'm a novice at 9 ball so take that with a grain of salt. EDIT: I'd also probably lose but again, novice at 9 ball, in a game I'd probably try a safety.

Lol.

How many shots would you need to bet 1k you could threat tat needle?

How about playing the carom on the 9...?:rolleyes;