Fixture to Hold/Index Cue in Small CNC

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking to build or buy (if someone has one laying around) a cue holding fixture. I have a little DaVinci CNC that I'm trying to learn CNC machining on. Z axis travel is only like 5", so I need a fairly low profile fixture to hold the cue and slide back and forth on the mill table.

I think I remember others using Sherline rotary tables and taistocks on some extrusion for Taig mills. Anyone know what a Sherline rotary table mounted to the 90 degree bracket center height is?

Any ideas or pics of setups appreciated.

TC Mabe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a 48” dovetail bed with an indexing headstock that has a dead center in the chuck and a drilling tailstock chuck with a live center in it. I purchased all of my supplies at MidAmericaPool. http://www.midamericapool.com/parts---accessories.html

This may be more than you are looking for to get started ... in the long run you might appreciate the additional things you can do with this setup though.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One option you might consider is taking it to a machine shop and have them make some new Y plates so that you can extend your z travel.

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One option you might consider is taking it to a machine shop and have them make some new Y plates so that you can extend your z travel.

Nah, just a beginner to learn on. I'll buy something more serious before I dump money into this. Although it's pretty stout and accurate for what it is.

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a 48” dovetail bed with an indexing headstock that has a dead center in the chuck and a drilling tailstock chuck with a live center in it. I purchased all of my supplies at MidAmericaPool. http://www.midamericapool.com/parts---accessories.html

This may be more than you are looking for to get started ... in the long run you might appreciate the additional things you can do with this setup though.

Good luck.

I just think it's too tall for the 5" Z travel I have to play with. I'll probably just buy a sherline rotray table and tailstock and mount it on a low profile piece of extrusion to get me by.

It's George

Bet Something!!!
Silver Member
93f6e481e19c323723fa538f5a0e24ce.jpg

TC Mabe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just think it's too tall for the 5" Z travel I have to play with. I'll probably just buy a sherline rotray table and tailstock and mount it on a low profile piece of extrusion to get me by.

When I built mine I unscrewed the dovetail from the extrusion and mounted the dovetail directly to my CNC table surface. The headstock and tailstock still easily slide onto the dovetail mounted on the table.

TC Mabe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I built mine I unscrewed the dovetail from the extrusion and mounted the dovetail directly to my CNC table surface. The headstock and tailstock still easily slide onto the dovetail mounted on the table.

b6cf3f0c570a461c51b53cce62ec283d.jpg
4c7adc5e4d96fc8b5e708145f52acf16.jpg
31d1fec266bdd052919794c2f4d36843.jpg

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What is center height when mounted right on your cnc bed?

TC Mabe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is center height when mounted right on your cnc bed?

I’ll measure it for you tonight when I get home ... I’ll try and get some better photos of the setup ... those were test shots from a couple videos ...

Rybord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The centerline on the Sherline rotary table with the 90° mount is 2.7 inches.

TC Mabe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The centerline of the large bore headstock mounted on dovetail directly on the CNC bed is 2.5 inches. The overall height of the headstock jaws and assembly is around 4-4.25 depending on what you have in the jaws ... mine with a fully opened chuck is about 4.75

I also noticed that Todd has an assembly called a workstation that is reasonable price wise and has everything you need except you’d want to upgrade to an indexing headstock.

f80a95bab7b5879f7e6870ced46f2623.jpg
f046f71f8a48ee6980e9c1c2cce43bae.jpg
7aadb60d6b40a7c027362a401ae664c0.jpg
a58dffd52e34728037f533d3c64d35e6.jpg
667a12bc74ccfd9360307386be27fa1a.jpg

These photos are just quick shots of the headstock on dovetail and then a small piece of dovetail with a couple drilling tailstock and headstock references off the table. My CNC isn’t in Cue mode right this minute.

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll measure it for you tonight when I get home ... I’ll try and get some better photos of the setup ... those were test shots from a couple videos ...

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time.