New Aramith ball set

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Rob.
I’m using the new balls as motivation for a minor overhaul of my game.

Attachments

• ECA8865C-8966-4A10-AB09-A58B6E98C4A3.jpeg
    ECA8865C-8966-4A10-AB09-A58B6E98C4A3.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 449

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Thanks Rob.

Yep. I just got the same set but with the normal colors and black logo cue ball - they are a work of art. The thread started about replacing balls last month got me started.

I am going to show pictures side by side with centennials. The difference is considerable.

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep. I just got the same set but with the black logo cue ball - they are a work of art. The thread started about replacing balls last month got me started.

I am going to show pictures side by side with centennials. The difference is considerable.

I have a used set of Centennials for sale:)

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Here's a side by side comparison. Note the color, definition, clarity. Of course they play perfectly well. These are beautiful to behold.

Attachments

• Aramith 1.jpg
    Aramith 1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 417
  • Aramith 2.jpg
    Aramith 2.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get your point, but it’s not really fair to compare a set of older centennials to a brand new set of Aramith tournament balls. Of course the new balls look way better whereas the centennials have yellowed and dulled. I have both sets as well, and my newer centennials look very close to your brand new Aramith tournament balls than the huge contrast your photo shows.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Here's a size by side comparison. Note the color, definition, clarity. Of course they play perfectly well. These are beautiful to behold.

I have both sets of those, they are about the same age. The Tournaments are fantastic but I like the Centennials a little better because the number is in the white section instead of the stripe.

sgengaro86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just purchased the same balls. Love them! I had 20 year old super Aramith and switched to the tournament set. Love them.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a little disappointed with a set of slightly used Cyclops TV balls that i just bought here on AZ- I am starting to notice what looks like cuts/deep scratches developing in some of the balls after only a few weeks of play. Not knocking the seller- but also not understanding why the balls are scratching on a newly felted table

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I get your point, but it’s not really fair to compare a set of older centennials to a brand new set of Aramith tournament balls. Of course the new balls look way better whereas the centennials have yellowed and dulled. I have both sets as well, and my newer centennials look very close to your brand new Aramith tournament balls than the huge contrast your photo shows.

There is an age difference, but the Centennials I have are only about six years old. Possibly they have improved the manufacturing process.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a little disappointed with a set of slightly used Cyclops TV balls that i just bought here on AZ- I am starting to notice what looks like cuts/deep scratches developing in some of the balls after only a few weeks of play. Not knocking the seller- but also not understanding why the balls are scratching on a newly felted table

I assume they are not the Hyperion balls. I might still get a set of Hyperion balls before the next Derby or trip to Vegas.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is an age difference, but the Centennials I have are only about six years old. Possibly they have improved the manufacturing process.

My Centennials are about 25 years old and have the same yellowing look. That is a known characteristic of phenolic resin. I wonder if the new Durimith formula will also yellow.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
My Centennials are about 25 years old and have the same yellowing look. That is a known characteristic of phenolic resin. I wonder if the new Durimith formula will also yellow.

Well, I just did a comparison of brand new Centennials - they are a different color, more ivory than white, although the graphics are more crisp than the old ones. I didn't realize the amount of difference until I put them side by side. Reading the Aramith ads, I truly believe this set will last a very long time with minimal discoloring. They seem to have longevity in mind. The science behind resins is getting better every day. The strength and durability is phenomenal. I also timed it with new cloth and hope the highly polished balls are easier on the cloth in terms of wear and tracking marks around the rack. Their ads claim so.

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Well, I just did a comparison of brand new Centennials - they are a different color, more like ivory than white, although the graphics are more crisp than the old ones. I didn't realize the amount of difference until I put them side by side. Reading the Aramith ads, I truly believe this set will last a very long time with minimal discoloring. They seem to have longevity in mind. The science behind resins is getting better every day. The strength and durability is phenomenal.

I kind of like the cream colour of old ball sets, but then again I do like old stuff more than most.

The playability of the new Aramith sets can't be beaten, IMO. I've tried the Cyclops and they're just not the same.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I'm tired of buying cheap stuff that doesn't last and disappoints. I am now more of the mindset of getting quality as long as it's not outlandishly priced.

Here's what the ad says. Maybe these really will last a lifetime:

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-02-08 132224.jpg
    Annotation 2020-02-08 132224.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Thanks Rob.

-

My pleasure, Any time buddy.
Did you get the stickers I tossed in the shipping box...? They might of fallen out when you opened the box.

Enjoy.
Rob.M

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Better check how your installer tacked down your pockets. Last time I had my table
redone a very experienced mechanic nailed the pockets in with exposed nail head
edges sticking out, put electrical tape over them to cover it up... I had a brand new set of
top of the line aramith balls for my newly redone table... ruined!

NOT a happy camper!

td

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New felt but you buy used balls? I guess if you can’t afford a new set, I can understand. Sounds very strange that you didn’t notice the deep cuts/scratches when you first received them, but you do now just a few weeks later? I’d have to question if they are legit?

Last edited: