Not All Linen Wraps Are Alike

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I did not want to hijack BJKZY174's thread concerning different types of wraps, but I tripped out on differences in linen wraps. What follows is as anal/OCD as it gets, but . . . I am sure some of ya'll know how it is . . .

I have observed differences among the linen (or twine) wraps in my modest accumulation of cues. These differences may be intentional or, perhaps, result from mistakes. I do not know. In fact, in writing this, I have become very aware that my knowledge of the finer points of linen wraps is practically zero. I suspect variations in technique and materials (pressing/ironing, twine size, waxing, to name a few) may be the cause of the variety I have observed, but, again, I know very little.

The surfaces of most of my linen wraps are very smooth. (Several wraps fabricated with smaller twine have to be closely examined to detemine they are made of twine and not some solid material.) One of my linen wraps has an "up/down" surface which feels slightly corrugated -- perhaps this is a pressing/ironing issue. (I hold cues loosely -- to the point that I sometimes "throw" the cue -- so a wrap with resistance is not unwelcome. On my really smooth wraps, I add wax to make them tacky.) I also suspect that all linen wraps are not "linen" and that different twine types result in distinct wraps.
Finally, I somewhere got the idea that glue is used in applying some linen wraps. If this is true, what is the result with or without?

What do ya'll think/know about linen wraps in general as well as the above observations?

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Some linen is excellent, some "linen" is garbage string, some is silk, some is nylon.

Some installers are excellent, some are garbage.

A properly installed linen wrap is very nice indeed

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a leather wrap put on when I had my current cue made. Now I can't see ever buying a cue without a leather wrap. Every once in awhile it works out that I don't want to take my expensive cue, usually because it would have to sit in the car or something, so I pack an old Meucci or McDermott so I don't have to worry if it gets stolen. The Meucci just feels weird as hell because it's wrapless but it's fun to bang some nine ball around with it.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I had a leather wrap put on when I had my current cue made. Now I can't see ever buying a cue without a leather wrap. Every once in awhile it works out that I don't want to take my expensive cue, usually because it would have to sit in the car or something, so I pack an old Meucci or McDermott so I don't have to worry if it gets stolen. The Meucci just feels weird as hell because it's wrapless but it's fun to bang some nine ball around with it.

I'm a huge fan of leather wrap too. I've been playing all along with my old McDermott that I bought in 96. It just feels right. There is some grip, but also easy to reposition if you need to. It's hard to explain, feels like it's part of the cue in a way that's hard to explain. Linen is nice but it either feels waxy or like it's somehow not part of the cue. Wrap-less is good but I still like the leather better.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not a big fan of leather wraps - just personal preference, but linen wraps vary very much indeed based upon the material quality and the installer. Many older production cue linen wraps develop a frayed thread feeling that really can be felt and inhibit the stroke of very sensitive hands. Some great linen wraps by cue makers include Mike Capone, Troy Downey, Bob Drzuricky - that I have experienced.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a silk wrap on my TS cue, EE on my EP cue & (1) BO cue
but the rest of my cues have Cortland Linen. There just isn’t any
other linen wrap made that was more consistent than Cortland.
That’s why it turned out to be such an excellent pool cue wrap.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first two cues were wrapped. They got frayed and greasy. Seems everything except house cues were wrapped so I used 'em as is not realizing the house cues were better for me. Cut to now: I have three more wrapped cues; took a rattle can of cheap nitro and sprayed 'em over. A shiny surface is all the grip I need.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used Irish Linen my entire life and never thought I would switch, but I when trying different CF shafts I used a friends Predator cue that had a leather wrap on it and fell in love. Instead of just getting a CF shaft, I ended up buying a whole new predator cue.

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ve tried many different wraps over the years... linen, leather, lizard, croc and I keep going back to wrapless cues. I enjoy that no matter where I grip the cue, it feels the same. I do like the rubber wraps for break cues and have preordered the new mezz power break G with the wrap. And I do like how the predator luxe wrap feels, but I won’t likely buy one as I’m just more comfortable with wrapless for my playing cue.