The best break/jump cue.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I've got cheapo Action J/B cues, one with the original phenolic ferrule/tip cmbo, one with a Samsara break tip on a phenolic ferrule. I've got an original Jerico Stinger. I've got a Larry Vigus custom dedicated breaker. I've broke many racks with a BK2. All I can say from MY experiences with break cues is they all do a good job IF you do yours. A tight rack, good breaking technique, and hitting the front ball square in the face is what scatters the balls, NOT any particular break cue. I honestly could not choose one over the other for breaking a rack of balls. They all do a good job.

FTR, I can jump just as good with the jump portion of the cheapo Action J/B cue as I can with my two dedicated jump cues, or the Stinger.

Go figure.

Maniac

know it all

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gulyassy

Michael, there are alot of cue makers out there now.You learned from Bill Schick. You never copied his work,and learned the trade good. Accept the fact that other peoples opinions don't pay the bills. What pays the bills is a top quality product that reflects the price. There are so many break jump cues, break cues, jump cues, differant tapers, joints,tips,ferrules,thicknesses of joint sizes,shaft sizes,tapers,butt sizes,etc. It's what you like not the other person. You jj mezz lomax predator meucci joss pechaur viking Mcdermert schon bhq and many many more make these cues,so its all about preferance,and what someone wants.I have been around cues since 1966,I think by now I learned, seen ,hit and felt many a cue,from many a cue maker, alive and dead. My opinion is usally right. Rich aka the skunk.

jrt30004

just jokin' around
Silver Member
First I never sold McDermott my Sledgehammer. They pay me when they use my patent. I am not bent out of shape, I am expressing my thoughts on this matter. Like you I do no knock any other products.

i think you may have misunderstood what i meant by not knocking products. i wouldn't knock yours because i think they are quality. if i thought something was a poor performer, i'd have no trouble knocking the shit out of it.
as far as not selling the sledgehammer but getting paid for the use of the patent, i think you're splitting hairs. you are getting paid when they manufacture.
and as for being bent, that is how it came across in print. i stick by my statement of i can't figure out why one man's opinion would have you bring this up here. all you did was open the door to have the people who don't love your product to tell you so. but that is your perogative to do so.

Last edited:

TomInFaribo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years Ago

Several years ago Plantinum Billiards tested LD cues and along with that they also tested break cue speed differences.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a Sledgehammer and love it. I have had J&J,orange crusher,TNT and tried Predator air,BK2 and gilbert. I must say the sledgehammer is my choice and would trade it for none. I would not have sold the crusher if I didn't get the sledgehammer.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mike,
What can identify the cue you made from the imported sledgehammer's.
Thanks,
Ray

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everybody is entitled to there own opinion. Not to mention larry can break balls better than most with a broom handle!:d

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
I have a Sledgehammer and love it. I have had J&J,orange crusher,TNT and tried Predator air,BK2 and gilbert. I must say the sledgehammer is my choice and would trade it for none. I would not have sold the crusher if I didn't get the sledgehammer.

thanks I appreciate thar

Last edited:

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
Mike,
What can identify the cue you made from the imported sledgehammer's.
Thanks,
Ray

Mine never had a radial pin, and had either a 3/8 10 or a 3/8 10 acme pin. A couple had a unilock quick release for the jump joint.

little willie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mike i never tried one of your break cues but have a playing cue you made me that i love but you know i also have other cues i play with don't let other people worry you about your cues everybody hase a opion like everybody has a a--s hole f them:wink:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to share an experience I had last night. A friend of mine called Larry Nevel on the phone with the speaker phone on and asked him about a test he did with a Predator, Lomax, Fury and a Sledgehammer. He stated that the slowest breaking cue out of the 4 was my Sledgehammer. I find that hard to believe. I will accept this if I get enough resposes about the Sledgehammer being an inferior cue to my competion. I know that a Sledgehammer won the US Open first year it came out. I know the Sledgehammer changed the Cue Manufacturring industry. When I came out with this cue back in The early 2000's there were a handful of break/jump cue builders. The year after the Sledgehammers's debut there were hundreds of companies claiming to have a break jump better than the Sledgehammer.
I know that when I debut the Slegehammer at the US Open when the twin towers were bombed there was no air travel and the buyers that usually show up were not there and the vendors did no business. I sold out to players and vendors. My business was so large after the Open I had to get Taiwan to manufacture my cues because I had a minimum of 500 cues a month going out. There is no doubt that my cue had an impact on the Billiard industry. I have always stood behind my product and tried to represent it with pride. Back to Larry, is one cue for each different model a true test? Do you base all the opinions on a couple of breaks. Yes I am not happy with someone with Larry's ability spreading rumors about my products. I would like to get some response about your break cues. I would really like to know if my cue does or does not stack up against my competators.

For Larry to call you and let you know his thoughts, you should be thankful you know you have a friend that is honest.

But I am a little disappointed to find out the Sledgehammer I paid around $300 for, was made in Taiwan. The butt warped and you couldn't do anything about it, even though it was in new condition.

People always bought a Sledgehammer because they thought it was made in America. Americans like to buy American made.

Was there a discount given on the Taiwan made Sledgehammers?

To be honest, my $30 Kaiser jump/break cue with the G-10 tip hit as good as the Sledgehammer. Of course, now I find out they both were made in Taiwan.

These are not rumors or opinion but are fact.

I've never told anyone about this...but since you asked....

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I would really like to know if my cue does or does not stack up against my competators.

You mean you really don't know the answer to that question?
C'mon.... Business 101. You should, and the fact that you are asking tells me you owe Larry an apology for throwing him under the bus.

To make it simple, if you don't know, how do you know Larry does not know:confused:

MikesCues048

Cues 4 Christ
Silver Member
Mike,

I've known you for yrs.
I bought a couple dozen of your cues.

A couple of customs, Sledge Hammers, Arsenals, Anvils & the only complaint is once in a while, someone will crack a ferrule. No problem though, Mike fixes em right up for ya.

Sorry I won't see you buddy in NJ this yr.

Happy Easter Mike Gulyassy,

Michael Matsie

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Sledgehammer

I want to share an experience I had last night. A friend of mine called Larry Nevel on the phone with the speaker phone on and asked him about a test he did with a Predator, Lomax, Fury and a Sledgehammer. He stated that the slowest breaking cue out of the 4 was my Sledgehammer. I find that hard to believe. I will accept this if I get enough resposes about the Sledgehammer being an inferior cue to my competion. I know that a Sledgehammer won the US Open first year it came out. I know the Sledgehammer changed the Cue Manufacturring industry. When I came out with this cue back in The early 2000's there were a handful of break/jump cue builders. The year after the Sledgehammers's debut there were hundreds of companies claiming to have a break jump better than the Sledgehammer.
I know that when I debut the Slegehammer at the US Open when the twin towers were bombed there was no air travel and the buyers that usually show up were not there and the vendors did no business. I sold out to players and vendors. My business was so large after the Open I had to get Taiwan to manufacture my cues because I had a minimum of 500 cues a month going out. There is no doubt that my cue had an impact on the Billiard industry. I have always stood behind my product and tried to represent it with pride. Back to Larry, is one cue for each different model a true test? Do you base all the opinions on a couple of breaks. Yes I am not happy with someone with Larry's ability spreading rumors about my products. I would like to get some response about your break cues. I would really like to know if my cue does or does not stack up against my competators.

Mike,
I recently sold a Sledgehammer back to its previous owner, it had a bunch of player signatures on it and the guy that sold it to me told me this.....I should have never let that cue go and now Im keeping it for the rest of my life....the only reason I sold it back was because he was a very close friend and I bought another Sledgehammer from a guy hurting for cash.

In my opinion you have changed the industry and made a positive impact on the game in that area. I bought a jump cue because I was trying to learn how to jump right but once I understood what I was doing wrong, I dont need it anymore. Id rather have my Sledgehammer and a lighter cue case because of it. If I am going to have a muti-purpose cue in my case and need to be able to jump balls, I see your cue as a good one to have and I can control my cue ball pretty good with it on the break.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Has anyone replaced the phenolic ferrule/tip with a full G-10,
if so how is it in comparison.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
G-10

***** Anybody *****

RJB,
I had another jump break a Pechauer more expensive cue than the Sledgehammer that had a hard leather tip that I had acquired a long while back on a cue deal...I removed the hard leather cause I hadnt figured out how to jump properly at that time and installed a G-10 because a guy gave me a deal.

The Gulyassy allowed me to learn to jump.

The break was comparable but the cue itself wasnt any better. I think the gulyassy is superior because the handle is lighter and it makes it easier to jump but for me that isnt everything either.

As a person who strives to develop things for making pool better and that is what Mike has done I support anyone who is puts their intellect to work to bring us something new and innovative to the marketplace and I just feel that supporting individualized efforts is something we as players should do.....

So Im a Gulyassy fan because he is the person who brought it along and everyone else fell in behind him but that is just me.....

This is why I think Alan Hopkins is one great guy for developing what could be considered the greatest event that we have in the US possibly the world in New Jersey this year.

Maybe we will get so lucky that someone would copy cat that event and do it somewhere else and again lift the industry.

This industry being largely unregulated or sponsored by any collective body is made up of talented individuals and when you cut them out of it...youre cutting down pool in my humble opinion.