rate your league operator....all leagues welcome

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the comments I see on here from time to time about shyster ...money grubbing lo 's I was wondering just how common that opinion is.

I have a few questions below and be specific with your answers please. Dont just say he is an asshole without explaining why you have that opinion.

1. Is he friendly and out going or serious and business like ?

Mine is friendly and easy to talk to.

2. Does he play in your league and what is his handicap ?

Mine is a 7/8 and plays in several divisions. He did play on 2 of my teams but not anymore since we are over loaded with high handicaps

3. Is he easy to get in touch with and dies he reply to your questions/ complaints in a timely manner.

Mine never fails to reply to my txt's and quite often his reply is immediately after I send mine. I will txt him concerning rules or incidents that occur. I also txt my concerns about opposing players handicaps.. Heck I even txt him some times bragging about certain players.....mostly 7's and above when it happens.

Feel free to add any comments concerning your lo that I did not address in my questions

4. This last question is directed as those of you who respond to my questions above.

As I stated above I address my concerns to my lo about players handicaps..... Do you ? If not....why not ? I have seen many people complain about leagues are full of sandbaggers....do any of you do any thing about it besides complain ?

Just thought of one more question concerning lo's.

Do you think your lo does a decent job in cut in sand bagging in your area ?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
we have 3 people that own the league .. they are great. They play and are decent players. They help people who need it in any way the can including financially. They've put people in rooms in vegas and bought them food vouchers to make sure they were ok if they ran out of money. Good people who do there best to run a business and help there people who play at the same time.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine is great. I was good friends with him well before he bought the league tho. He's very outgoing, when he walks into a place he walks around it and says hello & shakes hands with everyone. He's very accessible, I'm sure people have complaints but not being able to get hold of him isn't one. He's a very good player, 7/9. Took 3rd in APA singles a few years back & won entry to US Am last year.

We have a good relationship regarding skill levels, if he asks me I give him my opinion. One session he asked about a couple guys on my team who were new and struggled in 9ball and went down to a 3. They were figuring in out and doing well. He asked me about them & I told him they should both be 4's. He'll ask me about someone he has received a complaint about and if I know them & my opinion. He'll ask me about what SL new players coming into his league who are good should start at. He just takes my opinion into consideration & makes his own decisions.

However, I am part of the problem regarding scorekeeping. I don't personally do it. I'm there for fun & don't pay attention to safeties, etc. A couple weeks ago we didn't have 1 safety marked for our whole double jeopardy match. I, personally, never complain I lost cause so & so is a sandbagger. But a couple guys on our team do & I tell them to keep better score then. The LO can't be there & has to use our score sheets as a picture of what happened. If he sees a 5v7 & the 5 wins 3-4 with 30 innings & 1 safe then that's not all that impressive. If the 5 is marked for 7 safeties that's a very different win.

He has a suite at the Westgate & is holding a party (free food, free drinks) for all 80 people from the league that qualified. He's working on getting a pool table in there as well.

Great guy, great league.

9Ballz

Registered
New operator same as the old. Never see him except playoffs. He shows up to pick up his money after everyone leaves. A new league is moving into the location we will see if he changes with some competition.

dvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA League

I think this is a good issue, I'm continually reading posts with negative comments about league operators across the nation.

I've been in my league for seven years, am the captain of two teams currently and play on three different teams. I've been the captain for a couple teams for about 4 or 5 years and have about 650 matches. Just a little insight as to my experience so my comments may have some merit.

There are two league operators. Both are very friendly, easy to talk to and extremely responsive. They run a great league. They are fair and run many events, qualifiers, charity matches, etc. Frankly, they make you feel like a big family.

They add a lot of cash to the qualifiers and foot most all expenses for both individual and teams trips to Vegas.

One of the operators is a player in the league, I believe she is either a 2 or 3. My wife is on one of my teams and they match up on occasion; win or lose she's a great sport.

Regarding sandbagging; I think that it is mostly unavoidable that some players will try to get an advantage, but they (league operators) are pretty vigilant in reminding teams to score innings and safes as accurately as possible. They know the dire consequences if players go up in Vegas and I believe they make every effort to control it. If a team believes a person is under-rated you can comment on the score-sheet and they'll look into it.

It's a pretty large league with a lot of teams and players. They are NOT money grabbers. They put a lot back into the league. Of course people always try to figure out what someone else is making; but lets face it, it's a business and everyone is entitled to make a living.

So overall, I guess we're very fortunate; especially compared to the negative posts I've become accustomed to.

They work closely with all the pool halls and bars and share players concerns regarding equipment, table placement, etc. and have helped in providing good playing venues.

Guess you can tell I'm a happy camper. Not sugar-coated, just my opinion of the facts.

Regards to all
Dave

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Is he friendly and out going or serious and business like ?

I find him to be friendly and easy to speak with but business like, too.

2. Does he play in your league and what is his handicap ?

He does and he's a 7 (BCAPL) kind of hack, like most of us.

3. Is he easy to get in touch with and dies he reply to your questions/ complaints in a timely manner.

He answers every question that I've ever emailed him, usually the same day.

4. This last question is directed as those of you who respond to my questions above.

I don't complain about handicaps as the computer figures them out. Are there players that dump a game to keep theirs down? Sure. It all works out in the end, though. Hell, we're playing a race to 1 against each of them so there's plenty of opportunity for handicaps to mean nothing anyway. I think blaming the spot is an excuse to lose but that's just me; when I lose, I point out that the other guy played better than me.

Brian in VA

bud_08

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in 2 different leagues in 2 different towns.

My APA l/o is a pretty great guy. He doesn't play but he can be seen at EVERY establishment on league nights just saying hi to people and mingling a little. He does raffles and drawings. Pays for the teams hotels who make it to Vegas and even takes them out to dinner. However his territory is still small so as he grows that will slowly dwindle or the dinner part may go away! Either way, he has done a lot for pool in his area.

My BCA l/o is yet another upstanding guy. He and his wife both play on teams just not the same team. (I am on his wife's team and the youngest player on the team by at least 30 years.) He is rated a 9. He helps with the state BCA tournament and is a great guy to sit and bs with.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the only thing I care about in my league is that the payout money is there when the session is over.
And that they spell my name right on the "Worlds Greatest League Player" trophy. :eek: