John O'neil

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John and I go back 46 plus years.Our friendship was renewed in 1994 and we discovered we still both had a passion for Pool.the next 15 years was a flurry of Pool Tournaments, playing Pool, sweating matches, and cue collecting.John was a type of person that lit up a room with his outgoing personality, because of john I had the opportunity to meet some of the worlds top pool players past and present. Every year he rented a ground floor suite at the Holiday Inn at the U.S. Open and turned it into a open Hospitality room. There were always interesting people in there from players to gamblers and every type of character that makes pool so interesting.We attended every Derby City that wa held in the Executive West and never did more then take a nap over the 4 days we spent there.John passed away after a ferocious 9 month battle with cancer on may 13th. 2009.He was one of a kind and will always be remembered. he was my best friend.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Friend......

John and I go back 46 plus years.Our friendship was renewed in 1994 and we discovered we still both had a passion for Pool.the next 15 years was a flurry of Pool Tournaments, playing Pool, sweating matches, and cue collecting.John was a type of person that lit up a room with his outgoing personality, because of john I had the opportunity to meet some of the worlds top pool players past and present. Every year he rented a ground floor suite at the Holiday Inn at the U.S. Open and turned it into a open Hospitality room. There were always interesting people in there from players to gamblers and every type of character that makes pool so interesting.We attended every Derby City that wa held in the Executive West and never did more then take a nap over the 4 days we spent there.John passed away after a ferocious 9 month battle with cancer on may 13th. 2009.He was one of a kind and will always be remembered. he was my best friend.

I am saddened to hear of your friend's passing. Your comments reflect how great your friendship was, and if John could see your comments he would be smiling. I will remember your thoughtful and heartfelt post, and wish you well.

Will Prout

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank You

Mr. Prout thank you so much for your kind words. I do not think I have ever had the pleasure of meeting you but have heard many great things about you and your fine collection of cues. I hope some day I have an opportunity to meet you in person. Thanks again.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Franko, I was aware of John's passing....it's nice to see your post here and I'm sorry for your loss of such a dear friend. Everyone at the CueAddicts booth really missed seeing John at the last few Derby and Expo events. He was always such a radiant guy to be around and it was obvious how much he loved cues and pool in general. He will definitely be missed......all of us cue guys definitely lost a friend in John. He is missed by many !!

Sean

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

Franko, I was aware of John's passing....it's nice to see your post here and I'm sorry for your loss of such a dear friend. Everyone at the CueAddicts booth really missed seeing John at the last few Derby and Expo events. He was always such a radiant guy to be around and it was obvious how much he loved cues and pool in general. He will definitely be missed......all of us cue guys definitely lost a friend in John. He is missed by many !!

Sean

Thanks Sean, I know John loved doing busn. with you guys and really trusted all of you. I think I loved it as much as John when he would pick up in his words " a piece of lumber " I loved watching him show his new cues to other collectors.He really loved cues and collecting.

sureman183

Got "Boti's" ??
Silver Member
John O'neal

Frank, it was always enjoyable time having you & John come around my booth, whether business, or just to shoot the bull. he is missed by alot of people in the pool scene. will see you soon at Windy City Cue Show. regards, don

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank You

Frank, it was always enjoyable time having you & John come around my booth, whether business, or just to shoot the bull. he is missed by alot of people in the pool scene. will see you soon at Windy City Cue Show. regards, don

Thanks Don, Joe and I were just talking last week about John standing at your booth and pointing with a cue stick at your sign and saying " Buy Sell Trade " c'mon Don I want to trade Cues!! Naturally the trade was heavy in his favor so he was using your banner against you.But we were all laughing then and laughing last week talking about it.thanks Don for writing and I am looking forward to seeing you next week.Until then " Buy Sell and Trade"

sureman183

Got "Boti's" ??
Silver Member
John O'neal

Frank, will see you then. but i can say this, it will be Sell & Trade. there won't be any buying on my part. regards, don

qmakr

Registered
I miss John...

Frank, I know you were John's best friend, and I'm very sorry for your loss, John was a great guy. I always enjoyed the time I spent with John, you knew where you stood with him, he wasn't one to beat around the bush. I remember the time you and John came out for a visit and we had Ribs at the house, I never seen two guys clean the meat off the bone like you two. Next time you come out we'll make some Ribs at the house and have a toast to John.

Joel Hercek

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Memories

I always looked forward to Thanksgiving and not just for the time with Family and friends but for the Pool playing.When John was alive and Northfield Billiards was open we had a tradition.John spent the day with his family as did I,but around 8:30 or so we would hook up at the Pool room which opened at 4pm on the Holidays.The place would be packed but we always got a table and played 9 ball and straight pool well into the night.Those are memories I will always cherish.I 'll be thinking of John tonite around 9pm when I play pool by myself.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
18 years

Today is 18 years to the day that John O 'Neil dragged me up to my 1st SBE. He insisted I needed a good cue.I was overwhelmed by the number of cue makers and all the cues.I was fortunate enough to meet a Asian cue broker James Mei who introduced both John and myself to Tony Schinilla of Black Boar cues.We both bought beautiful 6 pointers from Tony and forged a life long friendship with Tony and Black Boar cues.John I hope wherever you are right now you were able to watch me hit some racks for you with my original Boar.I still talk with Tony and we always talk about you and both miss your gregarious personality.Thanks for dragging me against my will to the Expo, it truly changed my life.Your best friend , Frank.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy

Happy Birthday John ! Still miss playing Pool and talking cues with you.The Pool world hasn't been the same without you.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Time

Well John I can not believe 5years to the day since you passed on.I have learned a lot of the guys we called friends turned out not to be, life sure takes some strange twist. I hope you are in a good place , and want to thank you again for showing me the joy in playing Pool.I still practice everyday, so be ready for me when I join you. You were a true friend.
Frank " machine gun " O.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Nice Post

Well John I can not believe 5years to the day since you passed on.I have learned a lot of the guys we called friends turned out not to be, life sure takes some strange twist. I hope you are in a good place , and want to thank you again for showing me the joy in playing Pool.I still practice everyday, so be ready for me when I join you. You were a true friend.
Frank " machine gun " O.

Frank,

A very nice post. The kind that reminds me that any of us is very fortunate to have one dear friend through thick and thin for a lifetime. You and John were certainly two friends who enjoyed the most special of friendships, and serve as a nice reminder to all of us to let our good friends know how we appreciate their friendship. Thanks again.

Will Prout

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

Frank,

A very nice post. The kind that reminds me that any of us is very fortunate to have one dear friend through thick and thin for a lifetime. You and John were certainly two friends who enjoyed the most special of friendships, and serve as a nice reminder to all of us to let our good friends know how we appreciate their friendship. Thanks again.

Will Prout

Thanks Will it is comforting to know that somebody understands the true meaning of friendship.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Merry

Merry Christmas John I hope you and Big Joe are reminiscing about all the good times.

sureman183

Got "Boti's" ??
Silver Member
John O' Neil

John was a great friend, but also a great rival. tough to deal with, but always fair. miss his personality, his wit, & his flair. don

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I am saddened to hear of your friend's passing. Your comments reflect how great your friendship was, and if John could see your comments he would be smiling. I will remember your thoughtful and heartfelt post, and wish you well.

Will Prout

John remains in our thoughts, Franko, as does your wonderful friendship to John.
Will Prout

Last edited: