joined a APA TEAM, but it didn't work out for me

jeremy8000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a new player to the league, you default to a '3' handicap (average random person playing at a bar) unless you request and the League Operator agrees to grant you a higher handicap if you know you're substantially higher.

In time, you'll settle to your 'true' level at which point matches should generally be competitive given the adjusted race, making it a bit more enjoyable than shooting fish in a barrel.

That said... If you wouldn't think of socializing with the people on your team away from the table, or don't feel comfortable at your home location, you're never really going to enjoy it. Regular APA is essentially for most people a social club that plays pool, and if you don't enjoy the social aspects, leave it or find a team you will - put the potential for competitive awards (trophies, vegas, etc) as a secondary.

I've been playing with the same team for over 20 years now (4 of us from the original group, at least) and have an absolute blast every time we play, win or lose. We've made it to Vegas a couple of times, but that was just a bonus vacation to spend with those I grew to consider close friends. I'd consider myself a B+ player (7 in 8, 8 in 9) so while I wouldn't be anything close to a star, I'm certainly competent enough to participate in Masters, but as it's on the same night as my 'forever' team I forewent that option in favor of knowing that every Monday I'll have a fun way to unwind with friends from the start of the week.

In short... You know you enjoy pool. Find teammates with whom you would enjoy spending time without playing pool, add the pool, and you have a recipe for fun.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a new player to the league, you default to a '3' handicap (average random person playing at a bar) unless you request and the League Operator agrees to grant you a higher handicap if you know you're substantially higher.

In time, you'll settle to your 'true' level at which point matches should generally be competitive given the adjusted race, making it a bit more enjoyable than shooting fish in a barrel.

That said... If you wouldn't think of socializing with the people on your team away from the table, or don't feel comfortable at your home location, you're never really going to enjoy it. Regular APA is essentially for most people a social club that plays pool, and if you don't enjoy the social aspects, leave it or find a team you will - put the potential for competitive awards (trophies, vegas, etc) as a secondary.

I've been playing with the same team for over 20 years now (4 of us from the original group, at least) and have an absolute blast every time we play, win or lose. We've made it to Vegas a couple of times, but that was just a bonus vacation to spend with those I grew to consider close friends. I'd consider myself a B+ player (7 in 8, 8 in 9) so while I wouldn't be anything close to a star, I'm certainly competent enough to participate in Masters, but as it's on the same night as my 'forever' team I forewent that option in favor of knowing that every Monday I'll have a fun way to unwind with friends from the start of the week.

In short... You know you enjoy pool. Find teammates with whom you would enjoy spending time without playing pool, add the pool, and you have a recipe for fun.

A very good reply on this subject. :thumbup:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA new players start at skill level 3, no matter what.

So he only needed 2 games in week 1, before they raise his skill lvl

No they don’t .. men start at 4 and if your a known player you can start higher. I came into 9 ball as a 7.

buttnkdwonder

Registered
No they don’t .. men start at 4 and if your a known player you can start higher. I came into 9 ball as a 7.

If you have an established rank in another format there's a chance the league operator could bring you in at a higher SL, but that's pretty uncommon in my experience. They changed the rule where genders start at different skills, so at least half of your statement is no longer true--new men and women both start at SL3, and men can now go down to SL1 in 9 ball, same as women. This changed I believe within the past year.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have an established rank in another format there's a chance the league operator could bring you in at a higher SL, but that's pretty uncommon in my experience. They changed the rule where genders start at different skills, so at least half of your statement is no longer true--new men and women both start at SL3, and men can now go down to SL1 in 9 ball, same as women. This changed I believe within the past year.

Ah that’s cool. I didn’t know they changed that rule . I was brought in by a friend who had played a long time. He told the operators it wouldn’t be fair to bring me in as a 4. To start me at least as a 7. I was an 8 a week later and a 9 by the beginning of the next session. Lol

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When i joined apa 10 years men started as 3' s the same as women . now men must start as 4's . we also go by the known player rule.

In my 10 years of playing apa i have never encountered a male 1. Years ago i encountered a 2 but he has since been raised.

Iirc a male must play as a 3 at the national level even if he is rated a 2 at the local level

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my first night with my new team, and I get there half hour early to practice. I win all 4 practice games against my team mates and two other guys. so we start the match, and a new girl on our team is up first. she is a 3, and the other player is a 3. so I sit on the nastiest bar stool watching these two beginners play for 45 minutes of the worst pool I have ever seen. so im expecting to be up next as the new guy, but nope, now our 7 plays a 5, which takes another 30 -40 minutes or so. finally I get to play and I play a guy thats just learning???? im like what is going on here. (and my teammates are out smoking weed in the parking lot, so they came back in all high) so I win two games and thats it. im done??

so I paid my 10 dollars and basically got in 4 practice games, two regulation games, a sore back, smelling weed smoke getting me high, and hung out in the nastiest bar I have ever been in.

at 62, the APA aint for me. (went to my 9 ball team tonight, same pattern, would of had to wait a hour to shoot, sitting on a nasty bar stool, and my teammates are all in there 20s.)

I will stick to shooting at the moose lodge. at least they have better stools. :grin::grin:
AND THEY PLAY SLOP RULES, ANYTHING GOES?????

Room full of dopers and filthy bar stools don't bother me. What bothers me is when someone cleans off their cue tip by rubbing it on the floor.

Some doper's smoke in my lungs - no big deal. Lord knows what on the seat of my pants from a filthy bar stool - no big deal. Chalk on the soles of my shoes - outrage.

StuartTKelley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, it's unfortunate but it sounds like you landed on the wrong team. It doesn't sound like you have anything in common with them at all and they picked you up to fill in some handicap gaps. I am on 3 teams and fortunately get on well with all three and we have a good time. Two APA and one BCA. We also happen to play in two of the nicest places in our area, no smoking, Diamond tables...great conditions to play in. I wouldn't choose to play anywhere else and will never do so. I'm spoiled. Good luck to you and I hope you find the right group. Might have to start your own team to make this happen...

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
I'm 50. I played and sandbagged 2 years in the mid 90's as a 6. I never lost matches but ran up innings. They made me a 7 and I quit. I tried it again about a year ago more teaching than playing, but the long nights and lousy, slow play are brutal. I quit again. I don't bash the APA...its just not for me. I only play money leagues, tournaments and recreational now.