Thinking about throwing in towel

bauercrew

Registered
Hey everyone
last night bad night at league, this pool stuff is harder than imagined:), I started shooting in late 2012 with family members on league, was fun, no prior shooting before that, well here it is 2014, no real advancements other than a expensive collection of pool cues:), started out as 3 moved up to 4 in apa last week, dont know how :) I jump to many conclusions about equipment thinking that it must be true if they’re selling them(have three different low def shafts )we know how expensive that stuff is, not to mention buying different aiming videos (I know, no one twisted my arm to buy these items :eek:)I kept switching pool cues looking for the magic solution -,but hasn’t showed up yet :eek:,so I figured join another team to shoot more,so I shoot twice a week,thought well if I shoot more get better right? NOT :( it just upsetting that hey I only got win two games or whatever the ratio is when playing 6,7s and can’t do it ,think some of is poor shot decisions, everyone that sees me shot says I have a great stroke, good stance,ect,but I just can’t pocket balls on a CONSISTANT BASIS,:eek: what makes it MORE agitating is I can shot great when I’m not shooting my match, last night after I got beat by a 3:(went over to a table and played by myself than someone from another team came over and asked if I mined if he joined me, I said sure ,DAMIT if I didn't shoot good, wished I shot like that against the 3 ,would have definitely one my match :(

just blowing off steam iguess thanks:eek:
bauercrew

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Imagine if you had got some quality instruction just how different your experience would have been. There's still time but you should stop buying gear and actually work with an instructor and then put in real practice time to develop your game. Playing league more nights isn't the best way. Train smart that's the best way. My opinion of course. Good Luck

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey everyone
last night bad night at league, this pool stuff is harder than imagined:), I started shooting in late 2012 with family members on league, was fun, no prior shooting before that, well here it is 2014, no real advancements other than a expensive collection of pool cues:), started out as 3 moved up to 4 in apa last week, dont know how :) I jump to many conclusions about equipment thinking that it must be true if they’re selling them(have three different low def shafts )we know how expensive that stuff is, not to mention buying different aiming videos (I know, no one twisted my arm to buy these items :eek:)I kept switching pool cues looking for the magic solution -,but hasn’t showed up yet :eek:,so I figured join another team to shoot more,so I shoot twice a week,thought well if I shoot more get better right? NOT :( it just upsetting that hey I only got win two games or whatever the ratio is when playing 6,7s and can’t do it ,think some of is poor shot decisions, everyone that sees me shot says I have a great stroke, good stance,ect,but I just can’t pocket balls on a CONSISTANT BASIS,:eek: what makes it MORE agitating is I can shot great when I’m not shooting my match, last night after I got beat by a 3:(went over to a table and played by myself than someone from another team came over and asked if I mined if he joined me, I said sure ,DAMIT if I didn't shoot good, wished I shot like that against the 3 ,would have definitely one my match :(

bauercrew

If you're looking for help, answer these questions. If you're just blowing off steam, then ignore them.

How many hours do you play every week by yourself? How many hours each week do you practice against another player? How many hours each week do you compete against someone in an organized competition, like a league or tournament?

Last edited:

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
Quitting is a bad habit.

If you are serious about improving, you need to work hard...extremely hard. It takes a lot of time and it's not the same for everyone. Magic cues and leagues will not make you better. Put your money where it will do your game the best and get with a teacher. Stop playing pool and work on mechanics, stroke drills and relentless ball pocketing drills.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a student, not a teacher but I can tell you this. Take the 3-day course with Randy or Scott. Whatever cue lets you shoot a natural 3-speed, or as close to it as possible, use only that cue for the next year.

At the end of the year you will know what you want or need in a cue. Sell whatever is left and spend the money on another lesson. Repeat.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Hey everyone

bauercrew

If you are serious about improving, there is nothing you can do that would help more than spending time with a qualified instructor. New pool cues are nice, but they don't help you improve. A good instructor can get you on the right path, and give you something that will last as long as you continue to play the game.
Let us know where you are, and maybe we can recommend someone in your area to work with you. It's the best investment you will ever make in your game.
Steve

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Send me a PM or e-mail if you want some fun drills--drills that improve your play without seeming like mindless chores.

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
Maybe you just need a couple new cues? Just kidding! As I'm sure you've read on here, "it's the Indian, not the arrow."

I play pool daily, I have a table in my Man Cave...it relaxes me. As soon as I'm frustrated, I put my cue down. I enjoy paying pool, I work hard at drills, fundamentals etc but most of all, I like being in my Man Cave knocking balls around.

Maybe a league isn't for you? I've never played in a league, so I don't know.... But, I'll say this "if you keep doing what you do, you'll keep getting what you get."

Change it up, without buying anymore products!

That's my .02¢ which isn't worth much.....

EDIT- I'm not a pro or an instructor, I shouldn't have answered your question.... Sorry....

Last edited:

clarkie39

Registered
Like you I started in 2012. I bought all differet types of cues etc..I've got a stack of DVD's and books that would fill a closet. And then i received some good advice regarding how to improve and get better. The advice I received made me realize the only way to get better as a beginner level is to practice by yourself doing "drills". Progressive Drills that concentrate on pocketing balls, positioning drills, pattern play etc.. I know the dreadful word of drills scares beginnners but I can honestly say the drills I've done has improved my game drastically.

I started in 2012 as a 3 and now I'm a 6 in apa 9ball. I worked my butt off. I took a few lessons to help me get a good foundation on my fundamentals and how to practice improving my fundamentals. I would spend a 6-8 hours a week at home doing my drills. I have wife and two kids and it's not easy. A good drill book to buy is Joe Tuckers' Guranteed Improvement book.. Excellent book. It help me tremendously.

The most recent lesson I received was from Mark Wilson author of Playing Great Pool. This lesson was a game changer for me. My game hasnt improved drastically YET but I am making big improvements on my consistency and cueing. What Mark taught me was how to concentrate and the level of concentration it takes to improve. This level of concentration is exhasting but can be become easier if done right. Take a lesson from Mark, he is a fantasic teacher. Now I say all of this and it's just my experience and opinion. Listen to the "AZ"ers on here they have helped out alot. Dont give up!!! It's worth it when you get better. The game is so much more fun when you get better. Good luck.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was lost without an instructor, was an APA 3, and was actually getting worse. Now I'm a solid B with a lot of visible areas of improvement, plenty of room to go up even more.

Huge hill to climb but you have to be determined.

richard87

Im with BIG C, and nataddrho on this one you may have to put in practice time not playing in tournaments or with your buddys banging the balls around fundamentals is a good place to start stroke drills ball pocket drills cut shot drills banking drills on the rail drills postion play drills draw the cue ball saftey drills clear your mind concentrate on the drills take your time during shots keeping your head down develope a routine for your self so you can play consistantly. Only play with one cue that feels good and natural to you. i enjoy practicing on a 9ft table with small pockets then playing matches on the bar style tables i dout are even 7ft that helps my game alot i go practice like three days a week i may not even play in a tournament but once a week but my practices are usally two hours or till im just drained but never end a practice session on a bad note always leave the table feeling good about a shot