Cue grip wrap; Irish linen, natural wood, other?

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all, just a lazy Saturday question.

Does anyone prefer a natural wood grip (or leather, rubber, etc.) over Irish linen?

I seem to prefer natural wood. It may have something to do with having only really used ‘house’ cues in the past.

Just curious.

(Not sure this thread is in the correct sub-forum. Apologies if not.)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Does anyone prefer a natural wood grip (or leather, rubber, etc.) over Irish linen?

I seem to prefer natural wood. It may have something to do with having only really used ‘house’ cues in the past.

Just curious.

Don't like linen myself. No wrap, leather or cork.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
The OP is a newbie and doesn't know this has been discussed a million times. Cut him some slack. Jack, welcome aboard and I prefer Irish Linen big time.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
41% of the responses in those 11 polls (combined) were for wrapless (wood, no wrap).

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Wrapless is my preference. I only like linen if it's double pressed, and even then that choice is on down the list.

Maniac

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just curious.

No wrap, unless it's covered with a protected coating, like Meucci or if it's leather wrap.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go Cortland, or Blue Mountain or any Cuttyhunk linen fishing line you can find.
If there is a good current version Irish Linen you like, then go with that instead.
I have not found any contemporaneous linen brands that I like so I go old school.
That’s becoming harder to do and so if I can’t get Cortland, them I go with leather.
Elephant ear is great but controversial so maybe think ‘bout Kangaroo or Spanish Bull.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
The OP is a newbie and doesn't know this has been discussed a million times. Cut him some slack. Jack, welcome aboard and I prefer Irish Linen big time.

Err... oops! :embarrassed2:

:cool:

ETA: Thanks, it’ll be good reading.

The search function is definitely your friend but don't feel too bad. Outside of current news/events there is very little here that hasn't already been discussed at some point, usually many times. And if it hasn't been discussed too recently, occasionally you get some new perspectives out of a new discussion of an old topic.

And at least it wasn't one of the worst offending subjects for repetition such as "what's the best tip". Or "what's the best cue or shaft" (and this one is doubly bad because it's like asking what's the best tasting food--it's all personal preference).

Call_me_Tom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP, on my main playing cue I have linen and wrap-less on my break.

I’ve a spare playing cue being made right now with a embossed leather wrap. Once my main cue linen wears out I’m thinking of having the linen replaced with stacked leather.

I don’t like my playing cues without some sort of wrap.