Thoughts on video about getting Precision English

Brandon Gramse

Registered
I recently had some people come into my billiards shop and ask about how to improve the accuracy of their English. After a while of explaining my normal method, I went ahead and made a video about it, which is viewable right here: http://slctbld.es/centerenglishvid

My question is, is the video understandable? If you didn't already know about the system, do you feel you can implement it after watching the video? And if you did already know about this system, do you feel it was explained well?

I ask because I'm doing follow-up videos on using top and bottom English and I want to make it as easily understood as possible. Thanks guys!

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good way to get people to visualize the relationship between different amounts of english and the end position of the cue ball.

Only one suggestion - it might not be apparent to beginners how they should move the tip over on the cue ball - with a parallel movement of the cue stick or keeping the back hand in place and just pivoting over. You will have the same issue with draw/follow (elevate/lower the entire stick or just move the tip up or down), so you may want to explicitly address this.

Nice job!
Scott

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Another nice video, Brandon. You have a lot of clear and helpful videos posted. Tip and speed drills are up at my site from Dominic Esposito. As mentioned, speed of stroke and whether the stroke or bridge hand is moving off center is always super. Thanks!

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Great stuff, as usual, Brandon.

However, I couldn't find Part 3. Is it done yet?

I'm new to pool and have learned a lot from your videos. Many thanks.

Brandon Gramse

Registered
it might not be apparent to beginners how they should move the tip over on the cue ball - with a parallel movement of the cue stick or keeping the back hand in place and just pivoting over. You will have the same issue with draw/follow (elevate/lower the entire stick or just move the tip up or down), so you may want to explicitly address this.

Good point Scott. I'll make a refinement to this series of videos that explains precisely how to move the tip onto the cue ball. I had hoped it was clear from the overhead angle but I can see where it might be ambiguous.

Thank you all for the kind words on the video. I made sure to spend extra time on these because I feel it's an important system to use in play and I know it's helped me quite a bit.

Part 3 is being finished up now and I ought to be posting it by the weekend.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
you contact each of these "English accuracy targets"

I recently had some people come into my billiards shop and ask about how to improve the accuracy of their English. After a while of explaining my normal method, I went ahead and made a video about it, which is viewable right here: http://slctbld.es/centerenglishvid

My question is, is the video understandable? If you didn't already know about the system, do you feel you can implement it after watching the video? And if you did already know about this system, do you feel it was explained well?

I ask because I'm doing follow-up videos on using top and bottom English and I want to make it as easily understood as possible. Thanks guys!

When you contact each of these "English accuracy targets," the spin changes according to your cue speed - how do you adjust for this?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you contact each of these "English accuracy targets," the spin changes according to your cue speed - how do you adjust for this?

CJ, first off, you want to hit each shot at about the same speed as often as possible. Second, side spin is determined by where you hit the cb much more than how hard you hit the cb. If you don't believe this, try it. Take a cb and hit it straight across the table with one tip of english. Really chalk your cue so there is a chalk mark on the cb. Preferably use a red circle cb or better yet, a training cb if you have one so you have a reference to set up for center cb that is repeatable.

Now, hit that same chalk mark at a higher speed. Watch where the cb hits the second rail.

Now, what DOES change with speed, is how far down the tangent line off an ob the cb will go before draw or follow takes.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
on any given shot

So on any given shot do you look at the speed, angle, or spin you need to create first with your system?

Brandon Gramse

Registered
I've gone ahead and finished up the second video in the series, which is about how to use Top English to subtract half of a diamond. The video is here: http://slctbld.es/topenglishvid

Neil, good explanation. The aspect relating to speed is tricky to demonstrate since everyone is a bit different and I'm not really able to make blanket statements about how "hard" to hit since it's really just the kind of thing a player has to feel for themselves.