Tip after follow through

Exoyo

Registered
I have heard that your tip should always end up on the felt after stroking though the cue ball. I am afraid of gouging my felt if I do this, plus this is not a natural movement for me. So my question is, does it matter where the tips ends up as long as you aren't swaying side to side?

Thanks!

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I have heard that your tip should always end up on the felt after stroking though the cue ball. I am afraid of gouging my felt if I do this, plus this is not a natural movement for me. So my question is, does it matter where the tips ends up as long as you aren't swaying side to side?

Thanks!

Just for some clarity about your question.. Are you talking about your break shot?

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On any shot, not just the break shot. on any shot, your tips pushes through the ball, and after that should it end up on the felt?

By ending up on the felt, do you mean you're forcing your tip down INTO the felt, because that's wrong. But to have your tip resting on the felt afterwards means your bridge hand collapsed after contact is not a bad thing. If you were told to force your tip down into the felt, whoever told you that, you can stop listening to them now.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
On any shot, not just the break shot. on any shot, your tips pushes through the ball, and after that should it end up on the felt?

Exoyo - I'm not an instructor but that would only happen if your cue is jacked up or if you're hitting a draw shot. If
you push through hitting follow shots the tip shouldn't touch the cloth. (Unless you want the the CB to swerve)

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Exoyo - I'm not an instructor but that would only happen if your cue is jacked up or if you're hitting a draw shot. If
you push through hitting follow shots the tip shouldn't touch the cloth. (Unless you want the the CB to swerve)

If you follow through when breaking it's possible the contact the cloth, and could be advantageous on a hard break.

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im no instructor but your tip going all the way thru until it hits the cloth just means you have complete followthru (your arm is a pendulum, when it comes all the way thru your backhand will be higher meaning the tip will be forced to move into the table). I think its a good habit to have and i practice it when im doing drills working on my stroke, but in games etc the tip isnt going to end up touching the cloth on every shot (and its not going to hurt your felt if it does, unless you are doing something really wrong).

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
im no instructor but your tip going all the way thru until it hits the cloth just means you have complete followthru (your arm is a pendulum, when it comes all the way thru your backhand will be higher meaning the tip will be forced to move into the table). I think its a good habit to have and i practice it when im doing drills working on my stroke, but in games etc the tip isnt going to end up touching the cloth on every shot (and its not going to hurt your felt if it does, unless you are doing something really wrong).

+1............

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

scotty.. I just thought he said, "On any shot, not just the break shot. On any shot. Your tip pushes through the ball, and after that should it end up on the felt?"

I thought he meant he would touch the cloth on ANY shot during play, not just following through during practice sessions. That's how I answered his question.

If his tip touches the cloth every time he shoots (other than on the break shot) he'll probably be hitting his shots way too hard to control the CB for any shape.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
scotty.. I just thought he said, "On any shot, not just the break shot. On any shot. Your tip pushes through the ball, and after that should it end up on the felt?"

I thought he meant he would touch the cloth on ANY shot during play, not just following through during practice sessions. That's how I answered his question.

If his tip touches the cloth every time he shoots (other than on the break shot) he'll probably be hitting his shots way too hard to control the CB for any shape.

I'm not an instructor either....but, you can finish a shot and not hit it hard. I've done it a lot.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks!

Yes it matters sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't matter. Depends on the shot and what you're trying to accomplish.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I'm not an instructor either....but, you can finish a shot and not hit it hard. I've done it a lot.

Allen - You certainly are correct saying you can finish through a shot and not hit hard, but soft shots finishing with the tip always
contacting the cloth as Exoyo was asking about just doesn't happen.

If Exoyo was told to always finish any shot with the tip contacting the table, it was wrong and could effect his play for a long time.

Fran Crimi has a good answer to his question, but Exoyo needs to know just what he's trying to accomplish and when it matters.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member

Thanks!

Simple answer. Yes!

How tall are you? Taller players usually have their tip to the felt after the shot, shorter players don't. The more you bend over in your stance the less the tip can finish to the felt.

Here are three rules that our School goes by: After the cue ball is contacted,

1. Tip should still be pointing to the target.
2. Cue stick should be level of pointing down.
3. Cue stick should never be pointing in the AIR.

Remember, your tip may never touch the cloth until you draw the cue ball.

randyg

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member

Thanks!

I think the recommendation to have the tip touch the cloth is 1) to emphasize your follow-through, 2) to ingrain the habit of staying down on the shot and 3) so you can see if your cue has veered off line.

It's only for practicing your stroke. It's not meant to be used during play, although there's no harm in it assuming you've got the space and are stroking center CB at/under centerball.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bolded statement is absolutely incorrect. With a pendulum stroke the cue tip will always end up pointing slightly down (or on the cloth, depending on how low your head is over the cuestick), and even on a maximum follow shot, the tip will angle down in the natural finish position (this is long after contact with the CB).

To the OP...You cannot tear your cloth with your tip unless you are shooting masse' or jump shots...and then only if you're doing it wrong.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I think the recommendation to have the tip touch the cloth is 1) to emphasize your follow-through, 2) to ingrain the habit of staying down on the shot and 3) so you can see if your cue has veered off line.

It's only for practicing your stroke. It's not meant to be used during play, although there's no harm in it assuming you've got the space and are stroking center CB at/under centerball.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ralph Kramden...Really? If you use a pendulum stroke, and stand with your head 6-10" above the cuestick and strike the CB with even maximum follow, your tip will finish on the cloth, as your cradle hand finishes on your pec, even with a lag speed stroke...just as it will on a break speed stroke. If you stand lower (like with your chin on the cue), then you're correct, the tip will not finish touching the cloth. So the answer depends on how upright the shooter stands...not about "correct" vs "incorrect" technique.

Scott Lee

Allen - You certainly are correct saying you can finish through a shot and not hit hard, but soft shots finishing with the tip always contacting the cloth as Exoyo was asking about just doesn't happen.

If Exoyo was told to always finish any shot with the tip contacting the table, it was wrong and could effect his play for a long time.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fixed that one word for you Pops! :grin:

Scott Lee

Simple answer. Yes!

How tall are you? Taller players usually have their tip to the felt after the shot, shorter players don't. The more you bend over in your stance the less the tip can finish to the felt.

Here are three rules that our School goes by: After the cue ball is contacted,

1. Tip should still be pointing to the target.
2. Cue stick should be level or pointing down.
3. Cue stick should never be pointing in the AIR.

Remember, your tip may never touch the cloth until you draw the cue ball.

randyg

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Ralph Kramden...Really? If you use a pendulum stroke, and stand with your head 6-10" above the cuestick and strike the CB with even maximum follow, your tip will finish on the cloth, as your cradle hand finishes on your pec, even with a lag speed stroke...just as it will on a break speed stroke. If you stand lower (like with your chin on the cue), then you're correct, the tip will not finish touching the cloth. So the answer depends on how upright the shooter stands...not about "correct" vs "incorrect" technique.

Scott Lee

Scott - I was not trying to get Exoyo involved in stroking techniques or cue attack angles.
The original question was about ALWAYS contacting the cloth with the tip after any shot.

I was trying to help the guy from struggling trying to play the way he was incorrectly told.
Guess I'll keep out of this forum and just read the partial truths that are sometimes given.