Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Louie Roberts / Keith McCready - Good Stuff!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Louie Roberts / Keith McCready - Good Stuff!
Old
  (#1)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Louie Roberts / Keith McCready - Good Stuff! - 11-13-2019, 08:39 AM

From former road player Bobby Hunt; he said he heard Keith and Louie got into a game and Keith broke and ran the set. Louie quietly unscrewed and was walking away when Keith yelled over to him "wait, come back, we can adjust."

Louie replied "I'd be embarrassed to ask for what I need and afraid that you might give it to me."

best,
brian kc

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Last edited by Kickin' Chicken; 11-13-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Old
  (#2)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
11-13-2019, 09:38 AM

You KNOW
KMc woulda run it back, no matter what Louie asked for...

And so did Louie!

Old
  (#3)
JAM
USA, ALL THE WAY!
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 325

11-14-2019, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin' Chicken View Post
From former road player Bobby Hunt; he said he heard Keith and Louie got into a game and Keith broke and ran the set. Louie quietly unscrewed and was walking away when Keith yelled over to him "wait, come back, we can adjust."

Louie replied "I'd be embarrassed to ask for what I need and afraid that you might give it to me."

best,
brian kc
Hahahaha! I know a few Keith stories with Louie. I'll have to get Keith to post 'em.

There's a book coming out about Louie Roberts. It might already be out. A guy in Missouri wrote it.

Old
  (#4)
Kobachi
Scarred but Smarter
Kobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond reputeKobachi has a reputation beyond repute

11-14-2019, 05:52 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5G13l_W_UI4

Old footage of Louie I found.

Side note, back in the 90’s, my buddie and I played on the US Open 9 ball in St Charles Illinois. Second round, my buddy ran into a buzz saw named Louie Roberts, who I watched as he dismantled my friend 11-0 in about 20 minutes. My friend payed accustats to record the match (think it cost ten bucks to get a vhs of your match). I joked with my buddy that it was a waste of a tape. I would love to watch that today.

Primary: Alex Brick

"I'm not superstitious, but I'm a little stitious" Michael Scott - Dundler Mifflin Paper Company

"Sure-Lock"

Old
  (#5)
deanoc
AzB Gold Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

11-14-2019, 07:48 AM

i have no idea how louie woud play keith,but i did see louie play some beautiful pool

last time i was with him,right before the end,he was in a pool room in dalllas where
he was buying guitars at a national show

he was with a buyer stake horse and we ended up winning his money while louie never got to play

i never heard of louie breaking down or even asking for a spot

i am told he ran 125 including calling a ball on the break,and that is a record that may never be broken since every one else breaks safe

that feat personified st louie louie in my mind

i really don't know how much better keith was than louie,seeing them play at different times
and not really being able to judge speeds of great players

it would be very interesting to at least read how the players i admired stacked up

here is my guesstimate
1 buddy hall,nick varner,sigel,eddie taylor,eddie kelly

2 billy incardona,keith,wimpy

3 louie, train, help me with this name...Grg Stevens

i played him golf,won the money,took him out for pizza and gave him all
his money back to get him started in business in withita,ks where he settled into a normal life
owned a pool room ,not allowing gambling from what i hear

after i won all his money on golf course,we ate and stopped at the pool room
he took an hour showing me shots and having a good time,he never asked for a return of his money

he was just so nice and friendly that i volunteered

now i am having memory failure for his name

i can not remember all the names and only mention the guys
that i played or bet on or against not including the filipino greats
who might be better than all the rest

pre 1980 is where my heart lies

i would love to hear a knowledgeable ranking

from jam and keith or billy

keith was so very much fun to watch,he was everything i wasn't,cool to the point of
absurdity,confident.loose as a goose both in attitude carriage and stroke

i have heard that a few on my list were better,but i wonder how you can tell
when most of his opponents were hard to distinguish from the spectators

i always thought keith wasn't trying hard until i decided he was just born to play,
you and I don't concentrate on walking or talking,keith is at home with pool
in that same way

my pick for the greatest is still nick,but i am guessing

Last edited by deanoc; 11-14-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Old
  (#6)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

11-14-2019, 08:04 AM

Greg Stevens...

Old
  (#7)
deanoc
AzB Gold Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

11-14-2019, 08:22 AM

we have a winner

Greg Stevens

I recently met an older pool player nick named "scroothem"

Played a lot of pool back in the day,Jersey Red,Greg Stevens and
a lot more

He things Greg was the best ever

Anyone ever heard of Scrootchem ?

Last edited by deanoc; 11-14-2019 at 03:18 PM.

Old
  (#8)
billiardshot
AzB Silver Member
billiardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond reputebilliardshot has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

11-14-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Hahahaha! I know a few Keith stories with Louie. I'll have to get Keith to post 'em.

There's a book coming out about Louie Roberts. It might already be out. A guy in Missouri wrote it.
Book ..."Have Pool Cue Will Travel" by Mark O'Brien.

"St. Louie" Louie Roberts: Pool God and Immortal Shotmaker

by Mike Burch, with quotes and anecdotes by pool insiders

I am currently editing the book Have Pool Cue Will Travel by Mark O'Brien. The book is primarily about the exploits of the incomparable St. Louie Louie Roberts, but it also involves other colorful pool characters. If you have anything to share, or see anything here that seems incorrect, please let me know by emailing me at mikerburch@gmail.com. One thing we are trying to get right, or as right as possible, is what happened the night Louie died. I think there are serious doubts about it being a suicide, for reasons explained on this page. If you have anything to share, please feel free to email me.

continue reading at link:

http://www.thehypertexts.com/St.%20L...0Billiards.htm

Just Let It Go!!

Old
  (#9)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies

11-14-2019, 11:11 AM

You mean scrotum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
we have a winner

Greg Stevens

I recently man an older pool player nick named "scroothem"

Played a lot of pool back in the day,Jersey Red,Greg Stevens and
a lot more

He things Greg was the best ever

Anyone ever heard of Scrootchem ?

Old
  (#10)
watchez
What time is it?
watchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5625

11-14-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post

Book isn't out yet -- about 1/2 of it has been edited. Full of Louie and other pool/gambling stories.

Watchez Is The Teacher ™

Those who dance are always laughed at by those who don't even hear the f'in music - George Carlin RIP

Old
  (#11)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-14-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobachi View Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5G13l_W_UI4

Old footage of Louie I found.

Side note, back in the 90’s, my buddie and I played on the US Open 9 ball in St Charles Illinois. Second round, my buddy ran into a buzz saw named Louie Roberts, who I watched as he dismantled my friend 11-0 in about 20 minutes. My friend payed accustats to record the match (think it cost ten bucks to get a vhs of your match). I joked with my buddy that it was a waste of a tape. I would love to watch that today.
Thanks for posting this. It brings back a lot of memories of times I spent with Louie and Danny Medina, two old road buddies of mine. At the time I didn't know how lucky I was to be hanging out with guys like this, and Keith and Ronnie and so many more. Now all I have is my memories, some good and some not so good, but all memorable.

Louie died in Phoenix in January, 1991 under suspicious circumstances. Danny never fully recovered from a severe beating he took during a late night mugging in downtown Las Vegas. He died several years ago. Somehow I'm still here and I had my share of close calls as well. I look back on some of the spots I put myself in and how I handled some bad situations and realize I'm lucky to have survived. It feels like I'm in my second life now with a wonderful young wife, good finances and no real pressure to make money. Every day is a gift and I know it!

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#12)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

11-14-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiardshot View Post
Book ..."Have Pool Cue Will Travel" by Mark O'Brien.

"St. Louie" Louie Roberts: Pool God and Immortal Shotmaker

by Mike Burch, with quotes and anecdotes by pool insiders

I am currently editing the book Have Pool Cue Will Travel by Mark O'Brien. The book is primarily about the exploits of the incomparable St. Louie Louie Roberts, but it also involves other colorful pool characters. If you have anything to share, or see anything here that seems incorrect, please let me know by emailing me at mikerburch@gmail.com. One thing we are trying to get right, or as right as possible, is what happened the night Louie died. I think there are serious doubts about it being a suicide, for reasons explained on this page. If you have anything to share, please feel free to email me.

continue reading at link:

http://www.thehypertexts.com/St.%20L...0Billiards.htm
Is that the correct e-mail address? I think it might be mikeburch@gmail.com.

Old
  (#13)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

11-14-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
i have no idea how louie woud play keith,but i did see louie play some beautiful pool

last time i was with him,right before the end,he was in a pool room in dalllas where

he was with a buyer stake horse and we ended up winning his money while louie never got to play

i am told he ran 125 including calling a ball on the break,and that is a record that may never be broken since every one else breaks safe

i really don't know how much better keith was than louie,seeing them play at different times

it would be very interesting to at least read how the players i admired stacked up

here is my guesstimate

his money back to get him started in business in withita,ks where he settled into a normal life

he took an hour showing me shots and having a good time,he never asked for a return of his money

keith was so very much fun to watch,he was everything i wasn't,cool to the point of

i always thought keith wasn't trying hard until i decided he was just born to play,
in that same way

Everybody was a little afraid of Keith. When he was on, he was in a different world. He made every shot look like a hanger. No one wanted to draw Keith in a tournament. Their best hope was that he would either show up drunk without any sleep or not show up at all, which often was the case.

Louie shot straighter than anyone who ever held a cue. He could see and hit the edge of the ball with precision like no one else. He was also prone to some bad habits that could affect his performance. He busted a lot of poolrooms only to give it all back to some bum who he tried to give too much weight to when he was exhausted. Louie didn't like to go home with all the money. That was his problem. I learned early on that after we made a score to get my end and go back to the room. He would show up in the morning broke more often than not. He always had a sad story to tell me, but I loved the guy anyway.

Old
  (#14)
ipoppa33
Shakedown Custom Rods
ipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond reputeipoppa33 has a reputation beyond repute

11-14-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Everybody was a little afraid of Keith. When he was on, he was in a different world. He made every shot look like a hanger. No one wanted to draw Keith in a tournament. Their best hope was that he would either show up drunk without any sleep or not show up at all, which often was the case.

Louie shot straighter than anyone who ever held a cue. He could see and hit the edge of the ball with precision like no one else. He was also prone to some bad habits that could affect his performance. He busted a lot of poolrooms only to give it all back to some bum who he tried to give too much weight to when he was exhausted. Louie didn't like to go home with all the money. That was his problem. I learned early on that after we made a score to get my end and go back to the room. He would show up in the morning broke more often than not. He always had a sad story to tell me, but I loved the guy anyway.

These are the stories that make AZ great!! "Louie shot straighter than anyone who ever held a cue." wow that's strong!! Wish there was more video on these guys when they were right!!!! Thanks

Playing Cue: Ray Weeks Slowhand Cues
J/B: Ray Weeks Slowhand Cues
Other cues: Some of old Palmers, Scruggs, Sugartree, Onley

Old
  (#15)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

11-14-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:

here is my guesstimate

————————————————————————————

in that same way
—————————————————————————————
Can’t say it much better than that...

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: