Philosophical question

yahosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have built around a dozen cues so far, and I'm still kind of new to the notion of having people out there using cues that I made. The other day I heard that a local player freaked out and smashed the cue I made for him. I am a little surprised at how upset I am over this- after all, he did pay for the cue, and it was his do with as he pleased, right?
I really liked this particular cue, and it seemed that he was pleased with it as well. If this guy asks me to build him another cue, I'm not sure what I will say. What would you say? Am I being a sentimental, whiny *****?
Your feedback would be appreciated.:smile:

Josh

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He bought it, he owns it and can do with it what he pleases. Build him another and forget it. He didn't break the cue because he was mad at it, he was mad at himself.

Double D was correct, it is up to you.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
If you are just a manufacturer of cues then screw it.........

If you are a cue builder that does it for the personal satisfaction and the love of building cues then, you put a little of yourself in every cue......

Charge the bastard double for the next one.......................

oh yea...... and get the broken one back so you can give it a decent burial..

Kim

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I'll ask for the butt back so I can examine where it broke and do cue death forensics.
You can learn a lot about your construction by examining pool rage killed cues.

I'd still make him a cue but he won't get in front of the line.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
I once saw a player break with a high end non production cue. He had not even screwed the threads in 1/2 way. He bent the joint pin.

To a Cue maker its simply, okay, heat it up, unthread it, put new one in, good to go.

The man took and hit the cue with the shaft on the floor and broke the shaft. He continued until he snapped the forearm. The cue was a SouthWest.

Another time a guys girlfriend was in a Pool Hall with him and exclaimed he loved pool more than her. He grabbed the keys to her Porsche, brought his Jack Justice case loaded with all his cues, laid it down in the parking lot, rev'd the car up, ran over the case and to show how much he loved her he rev'd the car again and backed over them.

They have yet to come out with a Pill to cure Stupid

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I once saw a player break with a high end non production cue. He had not even screwed the threads in 1/2 way. He bent the joint pin.

To a Cue maker its simply, okay, heat it up, unthread it, put new one in, good to go.

The man took and hit the cue with the shaft on the floor and broke the shaft. He continued until he snapped the forearm. The cue was a SouthWest.

Another time a guys girlfriend was in a Pool Hall with him and exclaimed he loved pool more than her. He grabbed the keys to her Porsche, brought his Jack Justice case loaded with all his cues, laid it down in the parking lot, rev'd the car up, ran over the case and to show how much he loved her he rev'd the car again and backed over them.

They have yet to come out with a Pill to cure Stupid

I heard you shot a mouse just to see it die. :grin:

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His cue, his money, for him to do with what he wants. You don't like what he did.... good. Shows you care about your work. Would you be just as upset if he quit playing pool and but the cue in the closet, never to be used again? He wants another one? Good, make one better than the last one. Don't charge him extra and don't take extra time because of what he did. If he tells his story to a dealer and buys a Joss or whatever do you think the dealer is going to stall on selling him a cue or raise the price? No, he is going to get the guys money as quick as possible. Tell him you would love to make him another cue and put him in line just like any one else. They may be our babies but like all good parents you have to let them go their own way.

yahosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the responses. I guess I have a lot to think about. At this point,
I haven't seen or spoken to this person, so I guess I will have to see how that goes.
For all I know, he doesn't even want another one of my cues. I like the idea of an autopsy,
hopefully I can make that happen.
thanks again,
Josh

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 0ne customer that I have made 4 Qs for. I have also made 9 shafts for him. He has broken all but the last one. I just keep taking his money & saying "THANKS"...JER
P.S. One of those times, I beat him myself & he opened the tavern door & threw it like a spear. It hit the curb on the other side of the street & splintered into pieces. "THANKS"

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have built around a dozen cues so far, and I'm still kind of new to the notion of having people out there using cues that I made. The other day I heard that a local player freaked out and smashed the cue I made for him. I am a little surprised at how upset I am over this- after all, he did pay for the cue, and it was his do with as he pleased, right?
I really liked this particular cue, and it seemed that he was pleased with it as well. If this guy asks me to build him another cue, I'm not sure what I will say. What would you say? Am I being a sentimental, whiny *****?

Josh

NO & NO.

If the owner has so little respect for his property and the pride that goes into each build, IMHO he doesn't deserve to own another.

avscue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
have had that happen a couple of times. i still see one of them from time to time. he always says that he regrets doing that to one of the best cues he ever had. its hard to accept after the time and care you put into them, kinda seems like disrepect, but you never know....he may be regretting it.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
NO & NO.

If the owner has so little respect for his property and the pride that goes into each build, IMHO he doesn't deserve to own another.

First Josh, I'm sorry to hear that. I have seen quite a few of your cues and really liked how they came out. Hope to see you tomorrow at the NE Challange.
I don't normally agree with what Joe says on here, but I do on this one. I have built a few for my teammates, you know them all I believe. One is my son and I have Given him a cue which he hasn't broken, but has beaten mercilessly when he misses a shot. He wants a break cue and I've told him 'only once you realize how to treat something that someone took the time to build for you'. I won't even fix the dents in his shaft now, as I've warned him if he didn't treat it right, then I won't work on it,and he continued to let his temper get the better of him. I believe in the theory of 'If I took the time to build it, then please take the time to care for it'. I have refused to make a cue for people that have shown a pattern of destruction concerning cues. I have always fixed the dents, etc for free on cues I have made, and that seems to keep some people on the destructive path, so now I give the statement, I will fix problems NOT caused by abuse, based on my appraisal of the damage and if I think it was abuse, well I aint touching it again. I may, at my discretion, fix the damage, but will charge for it, and it will be a full charge no discouts. After that if you do it again, dont bother me.
I don't do this for a living, only as a hobby, and I understand the need to be flexable on this issue if your whole financial balance hangs on these types of dealings, and I'm glad I don't have too, but most cuemakers take a LOT of Pride in their creations, and don't like them to be disrespected by ill-tempered people, JMO.
Dave

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member

Josh

I think the true answer is, have you EVER done anything in a fit of anger that you regreted after? Did the person do this as a reaction or did he do it because he blamed your cue? Yes, either is childish. Has the person learned a valuable lesson as his action cost him money and is now without the cue? Someday you will talk to the person and have more answers. The answers he gives you could help greatly on if you want him to own another of your cues. For all anyone knows at this point a favorite relative may have died in a car crash and his reaction had nothing to do with your cue, any cue or the game of Pool. More facts may allow you to judge better on what you want to do.

yahosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess that's where I'm at right now,Tom. This person is a friend, and we have gone to many tournaments together. I need to talk to him and figure out wtf he was thinking.
Like Dave and others, this is just a hobby for me, and I do find it difficult to not get attached to the cues I make. Maybe someday, when I have made 100 cues, I will feel differently.
Thanks to everyone for the great responses.

Josh

DoubleDCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rage

I will always be happy make another cue for a hot head. And yes they'll have to wait.... I would rather they be shooting pool, than let's say shooting trap or skeet!

Last edited:

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess that's where I'm at right now,Tom. This person is a friend, and we have gone to many tournaments together. I need to talk to him and figure out wtf he was thinking.
Like Dave and others, this is just a hobby for me, and I do find it difficult to not get attached to the cues I make. Maybe someday, when I have made 100 cues, I will feel differently.
Thanks to everyone for the great responses.

Josh

Josh, if it has gotten into your blood you will always feel the same. Unfortunetly you have to let those children loose or you will have the largest collection of your own cues in the world.

By the time you have made 100 Cues you will have gotten better and probably wood will be more exotic or fashioned more exotic. Close your eyes and picture what that cue will look like 80 cues from know. Bet that cue in your minds eye you don't want to give up either. The feeling does not leave, just gets stronger.

yahosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update

Well it turns out the cue was not destroyed. I was happily surprised to see it in action today:grin:. I guess I should learn not to get all keyed up until I know the facts:eek:.
The player in question did slam it on the ground, but it held up fine.

Thanks again for all the helpful comments and encouragement, I really appreciate it.

Josh