another "draw your rock" thread...

deadwhak

whatcha lookin' at???
Silver Member
i cant draw the ball worth a crap!!! it cost me may of games and $$$ cuz i cant!! another thing is ONLY shoot with an open bridge ..really cant form a comfortable closed bridge is why..ive gone about 20 yrs doin without but right now its buggin me more than ever!!

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i cant draw the ball worth a crap!!! it cost me may of games and $$$ cuz i cant!! another thing is ONLY shoot with an open bridge ..really cant form a comfortable closed bridge is why..ive gone about 20 yrs doin without but right now its buggin me more than ever!!

You should be able to draw plenty with an open bridge.

Post a video (side view) of you shooting some draw shots. I'm sure you'll get tons of feedback from fellow AZ'ers. You may even see some flaw that you can spot right away.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's impossible to give you an answer without seeing what you're doing wrong. But as stated its not your bridge per sey. It's actual contact point (not intended contact point) and stroke.

Search through the 100's of threads and you'll find the answers. Key in on all the great instructors coaching we have here. Don't take suggestions from around the pool hall. You should know by now that hasn't helped. Don't even take my suggestion as gospel. Hire a qualified instructor. If you do this your problem will be solved within 30 days if you practice what you're taught. If you're not willing to work at what they teach then don't bother and stop complaining.

Get personal professional help and your whole game will jump.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Try looking at the cue ball last. You'll probably be able to hit lower.

deadwhak

whatcha lookin' at???
Silver Member
It's impossible to give you an answer without seeing what you're doing wrong. But as stated its not your bridge per sey. It's actual contact point (not intended contact point) and stroke.

Search through the 100's of threads and you'll find the answers. Key in on all the great instructors coaching we have here. Don't take suggestions from around the pool hall. You should know by now that hasn't helped. Don't even take my suggestion as gospel. Hire a qualified instructor. If you do this your problem will be solved within 30 days if you practice what you're taught. If you're not willing to work at what they teach then don't bother and stop complaining.

Get personal professional help and your whole game will jump.

im not complaining dammit!! i play decent enuff that ive work around the table not having to draw much, just stating that i know i could play better if i could resolve this problem..

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My appologies. That wasn't an attack. We don't even know each other. I've seen people that are taught what they need to know and simply don't work on it or won't believe the advise.

If you have your own table take your CB and mark it with a sharpie. Just a dot will do but place it near the dot that's already there. Get some light duty silicone and spray a tad on a rag then wipe it on your CB. The silicone will help hold the chalk mark on the CB. And the sharpie will help orient the CB the same for ea shot to help you see if you're consistantly grouped or all over the place. Line up the spot on the CB where you want your cue tip to hit, then take a shot. Did you hit the spot you intended? If you're more than a couple of 2mm away you need to tighten it up. Do it again and again find a pattern.

Is it elbow drop, swiping, punching, snapping ...... See the threads on "Quiet Eye" practice this till if you do otherwise, that feels wierd. Quiet Eye is huge to achieving accurate contact points to mention just one.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
deadwhak...The main culprit in cancelling out draw is too tight a grip on the cue. It makes the tip come up, striking the CB higher than you thought. Try holding the cue with just your thumb and forefinger (make a circle around the cue), and then aim low on the ball (if you use a stripe for the CB, and put the stripe horizontal to the table, it will give you a visual aid in where to aim). Aim at the bottom of the stripe, and shoot softly, with no more than a foot between the CB & OB. Check your chalkmark on the stripe. If it is not low on the horizontal stripe, you are not hitting where you're aiming. Let us know if this helps you. As was mentioned by Okinawa77, a video shot from a side view would be helpful in diagnosing your problem.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
draw

if ur quitting on the shot (pecking at the ball u will stun it)
u need to hit through the cueball ( drive at it)

be a driver not a pecker

ykndoit

UnRegistered Abuser
Silver Member
lower your back hand

I have a friend that plays on my pool team and he had never been able to draw more than a foot. He always tried to jack up his cue trying to hit on the bottom of the cue ball. All I had him do was level out his cue and aim just below center on the cue ball. Then,your draw distance was the snap/speed of your cue. Give it a try and use some sort of marking the cue ball so you can see if you are hitting the cue ball properly. Also, remember to chalk!!!

Last edited:

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
I have a friend that plays on my pool team and he had never been able to draw more than a foot. He always tried to jack up his cue trying to hit on the bottom of the cue ball. All I had him do was level out his cue and aim just below center on the cue ball. Then,your draw distance was the snap/speed of your cue. Give it a try and use some sort of marking the cue ball so you can see if you are hitting the cue ball properly. Also, remember to chalk!!!

deadwhak,

This, and Scott's advice, could possibly be the soulutions to your problem.

Years ago, down in Florida, I was trying to teach a young student of mine (his name was Morris) how to draw the ball. I must have worked with him for over an hour, using all of the best tech talk I could muster, but poor Morris just couldn't get it. Then, another young man walked by and said, "Morris, just snap your wrist like you're snapping a towel." And that's all it took. Within minutes, Morris was drawing the cue ball all over the place. And I learned something that day as well; simple communication, is better communication.

Scott's advice = loose grip

ykndoit's advice = snap the cue

Worth a try?

Roger

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
draw trick

I have a technique for developing the draw stroke that may be unique.

Watch for my next article in Pool & Billiard magazine (January or February).

Bowmer

"Shooter"
Silver Member
Keep your cue as level as possible and push through. No jacking up or poking at it, you need to stay level and stroke through the ball. And practice this until you get it..... it wont come right away..... but once you get it you will know what everyone is saying about staying level and stroking through the cueball.

Bowmer

"Shooter"
Silver Member
I wish I lived close to you. I would have you drawing full length of the table within a half hour. You will just have to trust me since I'm not near by. Just try a below center cueball hit, cue stick as level as possible (let the butt of cue rub the top of cushion) and push through cue ball and you will have it. If it doesnt happen right away don't be discouraged, keep at it and within a half hour of ball after ball practice you will have it.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
LOL,

still have tears in my eyes from laughing :)

have a nice x-mas time :)

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Since this thread is now revived and getting views, I'll say I've seen Donny's method and it is very innovative and clever.

I find most bad draw players are trying to snap their wrists and hit it hard when they'd do better to take a "regular" stroke and hit soft and low.