Cue versus Butt?

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me the answer is very simple... There are those who don't feel much difference when it comes to the butt contribution in how the whole cue performs and the funny thing the majority of different funny questions comes from this camp.
And there are those who feel those nitty-gritty details about their favorite cue ... what they do like about it knowing exactly what to look for when choosing a new one... They don''t need much anybody's opinion on the matter ...appreciation ....whatsoever if the time comes to choose a new playing cue.
Just a learning cue-builder and a hobbyist here and starting building my first cues I've made pretty simple decision to build them so as I do each of them for myself. After that as usual...learning by doing...pretty much like with learning the qame or anything we learn).

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are no shortcuts!!!

I think the reason CF is so popular is because it is exactly that, a short cut. With zero deflection your going to get better and everybody is. Ironically I think the fact that it works TOO well makes it B.S.. but everybody is cool with jump sticks so whatever.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I talked with 3 great cue makers about this
I was of the opinion that the shaft was the thing

Barry basically agreed,said his dad didn't think the butt made muck difference if it was solid

Jerry Franklin thought the butt was extremely important

Evan Clark,of schon fame, and actually one of the greatest in my opinion said he could prove that the butt was important in the play

i have been blessed to know these guys very closely and had lots of talks with them,but to tell the truth I don't have the problem straight in my thinking

I did try some thin butt vs larger butt cues with the same shaft and found that i prefer a certain minimum size

it could just be an idiocentric thing

My normal proceedure is to teast these things out by hitting balls,i make no pretense to knowing the science

I could mention the cues that I have found best,but that would be out of the scope of this
interesting thread

thanks for bringing a meaningful subject up for discussion

I find many people say the butt makes little difference only to prefer steel over ivory and vice versa
basically contradicting themselves

i am sometimes one of them

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I talked with 3 great cue makers about this
I was of the opinion that the shaft was the thing

Barry basically agreed,said his dad didn't think the butt made muck difference if it was solid

Jerry Franklin thought the butt was extremely important

Evan Clark,of schon fame, and actually one of the greatest in my opinion said he could prove that the butt was important in the play

i have been blessed to know these guys very closely and had lots of talks with them,but to tell the truth I don't have the problem straight in my thinking

I did try some thin butt vs larger butt cues with the same shaft and found that i prefer a certain minimum size

it could just be an idiocentric thing

My normal proceedure is to teast these things out by hitting balls,i make no pretense to knowing the science

I could mention the cues that I have found best,but that would be out of the scope of this
interesting thread

thanks for bringing a meaningful subject up for discussion

I find many people say the butt makes little difference only to prefer steel over ivory and vice versa
basically contradicting themselves

i am sometimes one of them

I think this is true for what they are referring to, which is a standard deflection shaft. Technology has made these guys work obsolete, but there will always be buyers.