Fun Article on the Cue Stick Origin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Interesting read. I especially like how the article suggests to NOT use wooden sticks and that a change to machined composites make more sense. Considering that was a snooker player, which in snooker they're still using brass ferrules (I didn't know this), all of those suggestions would be a huge leap. Joe Davis must of been short to desire a 55" stick. I use a default 57" for weight necessity alone, but I still want it longer. How tall was Davis, 5'8" or something?

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
always appreciate a history lesson/review, thanks
reminds me of a topic I've been curious about, but I'll post another thread

here's a link from the same site re: peter ebdon and his cue tech:
https://wst.tv/peter-ebdon-qa-2/
old, but still a good bit

I will say a marked difference between golf and billiards is the course size
being able to hit a drive etc. so much further should shave strokes off one's game
so switching from wood to composite golf clubs would be a literal game changer
in billiard games, the difference seems more superficial, maybe less deflection
but does composite offer so much of an advantage
that everyone is jumping up to switch from wood?
so far, it doesn't look that way

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
always appreciate a history lesson/review, thanks

reminds me of a topic I've been curious about, but I'll post another thread

here's a link from the same site re: peter ebdon and his cue tech:

https://wst.tv/peter-ebdon-qa-2/

old, but still a good bit

I will say a marked difference between golf and billiards is the course size

being able to hit a drive etc. so much further should shave strokes off one's game

so switching from wood to composite golf clubs would be a literal game changer

in billiard games, the difference seems more superficial, maybe less deflection

but does composite offer so much of an advantage

that everyone is jumping up to switch from wood?

so far, it doesn't look that way
You and the others are welcome, glad y'all enjoyed it too.

Looking at it from the golf shot count advantage perspective, you make a really good point. I think it boils down to playing with what you like and know. We've seen incredible accomplishments delivered from all types of cues, not just one or the other. To me, it doesn't matter how little squirt you create if you don't use(aim) it properly.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, it doesn't matter how little squirt you create if you don't use(aim) it properly.

I get that
I'm still comin up, but can't blame squirt for nothin
give me just about any cue, and I'll miss many shots equally:thumbup:

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why using Wood cues?

All 128 ranked Snooker pros use wood cues. They are playing in tournaments that offer up to 500,000 UK pounds per first prize. They are not dummies and seek every advantage possible. Wood is just the better material to reach the high level of excellence needed to make it into the top 128 rankings.

Snooker players don’t chase magic cues and magic tips made out of magic materials marketed by ‘the latest and greatest’. Unlike pool players, snooker players stick with their cue for a decade or more and don’t get caught up in marketing hype.

Last edited:

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why using Wood cues?

All 128 ranked Snooker pros use wood cues. They are playing in tournaments that offer up to 500,000 UK pounds per first prize. They are not dummies and seek every advantage possible. Wood is just the better material to reach the high level of excellence needed to make it into the top 128 rankings.

Snooker players don’t chase magic cues and magic tips made out of magic materials marketed by ‘the latest and greatest’. Unlike pool players, snooker players stick with their cue for a decade or more and don’t get caught up in marketing hype.

And there was still great golfers golfing with wood. I think it can be stated that "Wood is good enough to reach...", but better? Better than what?

Also, is the hype that you're referring to born of research or magic?

maxresdefault.jpg

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why using Wood cues?

a wooden one-piece cue has unique nuance and depth
paired with a player open, and sensitive to that soul
a relationship can form beyond the superficial
more feeling, and performance can be extracted

this is of course, what is possible- not necessarily common
but why not strive for that which is special, and beautiful?

Attachments

• joshua-bell-huberman_violin.jpg
    joshua-bell-huberman_violin.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 242

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a wooden one-piece cue has unique nuance and depth
paired with a player open, and sensitive to that soul
a relationship can form beyond the superficial
more feeling, and performance can be extracted

this is of course, what is possible- not necessarily common
but why not strive for that which is special, and beautiful?

Is that a carbon fibre violin?

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hendry's prime cue is broken in flight
Seven-times World Champion's cue broken by baggage handlers
Clive Everton
Mon 1 Sep 2003 21.05 EDT

The cue with which Stephen Hendry won his seven world titles has been broken by airline baggage handlers. It gives Hendry a dilemma. Changing cues can be an ordeal for the top players because no two are the same. Players can only insure their cues for face value, which is usually no more than £40. Increased airline security since September 11 has stopped players taking their cue cases into aircraft cabins. Hendry, 34, discovered the breakage on his return to Heathrow from tournaments in Hong Kong and Bangkok and now hopes that his cue doctor, Lawrie Annandale, can repair the damage. The season's first world ranking tournament, the LG Cup, is only five weeks away.

"The bottom 15 inches is broken off but the shaft is still intact," said Annandale. "I'm going to fix another butt. Stephen seems calm, but is obviously very worried and only Stephen will know if the cue plays exactly the same."

Hendry had used the cue - a gift from his parents when he was a child - throughout his professional career. He nearly lost it in 1990 when it was stolen during the Rothmans Grand Prix. It was, however, returned when a reward of £10,000 was offered.