10 ball ring game rules argument...

deadwhak

whatcha lookin' at???
Silver Member
this happened in a ring game at our local pool hall the other day...the guy at the table was shooting the 6 ball..he hit it so hard it flew off the table but the cue ball came around and knocked the 10 ball in the side...whats the ruling???

mattiefingaz

Professional Photographer
Silver Member
this happened in a ring game at our local pool hall the other day...the guy at the table was shooting the 6 ball..he hit it so hard it flew off the table but the cue ball came around and knocked the 10 ball in the side...whats the ruling???

Ball not pocketed legally....spot the 10 and 6. Play it where it lies.

**Legal Disclaimer** I'm not a ref/judge/officiant in any way shape or form. Just throwing my opinion out there.

:)

Mattie

Avathar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
of course depending if the ringgame rules are standart, I'd say, spot the 10 and leave the six in the pocket, foul BIH for the next player?

deadwhak

whatcha lookin' at???
Silver Member
"we"(all of us except for the shooter) was saying basically same thing..but shooter of course was saying cue ball fouls only claiming "back in the ol'days this wasnt a foul!etc..etc..etc...!! meanwhile game broke up after this...

mattiefingaz

Silver Member
You know...I came back to this thread and had to think it through a bit more...and I think I have to change my point of view....

6 was struck all legal like...CB never left the table...had the 10 not fallen it would have been "spot the 6"....keep on moving. What would you do if the 8 fell and not the 10?

I retract my earlier statement and say the shooter wins.

<---keeping my disclaimer intact. :)

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
All wrong so far. Six stays down, ten spots up, the next player has the option to shoot or make the previous player shoot again. This isn't that hard. It's happened many times.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The six ball left the table. That is a FOUL. The shooter does NOT get paid. Both balls get spotted. Next player shoots from where the cue ball lies. If he/she doesn't like it, they can give it back.

mattiefingaz

Silver Member
All wrong so far. Six stays down, ten spots up, the next player has the option to shoot or make the previous player shoot again. This isn't that hard. It's happened many times.

So it is written, so shall it be done.

After making it through 100 pages in Jay's book in 3 hours of having it I call his opinion gospel.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
of course depending if the ringgame rules are standart, I'd say, spot the 10 and leave the six in the pocket, foul BIH for the next player?

Behind the head string, maybe. I would hope nobody plays ball-in-hand-anywhere in a ring game. I certainly would never play that way.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
agree with Jay here....

If the six had been the five and the five was a money ball, then both would spot. As it is the six stays down, the ten spots next person has the option to shoot it or pass it back to previous shooter.

Jaden...

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member

I agree with Jay, except we spot all balls that are pocketed on a foul. That would include balls that normally would be pocketed (flown off the table).

Ray

sjensen1207

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any ball of the table is a foul.
Any ball pocketed on a foul shot is spotted.
No ball in hand unless cue ball went off or into a pocket.

6 & 10 spot, next player plays from where the cue ball lies.

hdgis1

You know...I came back to this thread and had to think it through a bit more...and I think I have to change my point of view....

6 was struck all legal like...CB never left the table...had the 10 not fallen it would have been "spot the 6"....keep on moving. What would you do if the 8 fell and not the 10?

I retract my earlier statement and say the shooter wins.

<---keeping my disclaimer intact. :)

I like this one and I like Big Trucks answer. What to do?

Chris

Last edited:

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rule

WRONG!! all balls spot, in a ring game as they do in rotation!!!:confused:

BryanBpool

M.T.F.B.
Silver Member

Thats how Ive always played.

Where I play, we only spot balls prior to the money ball. You never get BIH when shooting at a money ball.

I have seen some people play where any ball pocketed illegally is spotted.

The bottom line is this should be cleared up at the beginning of the game.

Last edited:

WoodyJ

Sacred Cow=Best Hamburger
Gold Member
Silver Member
"we"(all of us except for the shooter) was saying basically same thing..but shooter of course was saying cue ball fouls only claiming "back in the ol'days this wasnt a foul!etc..etc..etc...!! meanwhile game broke up after this...

Sounds like the shooter's fallacy was saying that knocking a ball off the table in the ol'days was not a foul. If so, I would have then asked him if every time he knocks an object ball off the table, does he consider that a legally pocketed ball and that he deserves another shot?!

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Definitely a foul. Spot the 10.

Whether you spot the 6 or not is often dependent on the local trade breeze.

Around my neck of the woods if there's only 3 people in the ring, the 6 stays down (we only spot the ball before money balls). More than 3 people, all balls get spotted.

It's f'g stupid to have diff rules for 3 people vs more than 3 IMO. I wish people would just spot the ball before the money balls, period.

As this thread proves, ring game rules are not always uniform. Please, CLEAR UP THESE RULES BEFORE YOU CRACK THE FIRST RACK to avoid unnecessary bloodletting.

Ball Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry Fellows No one has the correct answer. There is no correct answer here because HOUSE RULES change from Venue to Venue.

I play in 4 different tournaments at 4 different locations on a regulator bases. Each has their own House Rules and they vary as Day is to Night. The other night I had a dead 3 ball combo with the 8 in the middle. It was a illegal shot at that venue because the 8 could not be used in any way or shape.

BTW Even Leagues like Valley, BCA and ACS will have local rules that vary from National rules. You are never going to stop this with standardized rules because of Human Nature.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here's my .02 before I read the rest of the responses. I would say it's a foul when a ball flies off the table. So the 6 gets spooted and any balls that were pocketed come up also. So in this case the 6 and the 10 ball get spotted. Since it is a foul, the incoming player gets option of shooting or giving it back to original shooter. Obviously there is no BIH rule in ring games so cue ball stays where it is.:wink: