Another decent burl?

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this is mostly on the side of the tree, does anyone know what kind of wood this is? Would it be good for pool cues? Worth it to cut now? It's pretty big thx

Attachments

• IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 484

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bark above this section kinda looks like white birch, could this be poplar?

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I see Maple leaves and I see Oak leaves. The bark suggests Red Oak.
Let it set for a few yrs and keep an eye on it, let it develop.
The market is not good for you right now.

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only leaves I could see were way too far up to catch. I'm pretty sure now its poplar because of big differences in bark a little further up in the pic and all the way to the top. On older poplar trees the bark develops furrows on the bottom while white kinda like birch the rest of the way up. I only took the pic because I thought it was some chaga on a white birch, someone told me no and I've been wondering what it was ever since. Is poplar burl common? Especially can it be used for pool cues? Sorry bout the pics, this was in the summer in southern Quebec Canada.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I'm 99% sure that is a poplar. It could be ok for cues but would need stabilized. That type of poplar is closely related to cottonwood, and the wood is quite soft.

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thx for the help everyone I'm sure il find some more, I'm always covering a large amount of ground looking for shrooms. I didn't take a pic of it but I did find a very nice dead straight ironwood tree, kind of rare to the mountain I was in. Also totally unrelated to pool I found this in a 100 year old plus sugar maple

Attachments

• IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 243