Vintage Dufferin Joint question

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently Acquired a vintage Dufferin Butterfly cue in mint condition- basically unused. The bumper has made in Canada imprint. I believe these cues pre date 2005- not sure. My question is: this cue does not have the standard Dufferin aluminum joint. It has a brass pin in the shaft and the butt has a threaded insert -metal- to receive the screw on the shaft. This is basically a flat faced wood to wood joint- NOT the usual Dufferin metal to metal joint.

Did Dufferin produce cues with this wood to wood joint? There are joint collars on the shaft and butt. I am just trying to determine if this is an all original Dufferin that I now have or was the joint replaced at one time- hard to imagine that the joint was replaced as the cue is basically unplayed for maybe a few racks or so. it came in a mint Joe Porper 1X1 Classic series protect a cue case.

Cue plays great with the wood to wood joint - much better than the standard Dufferin aluminum joints. I would imagine the age of this cue to be 1990s or so- red maple leaf.

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve had a few exactly like that cue. It is original

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you very much- I feel fortunate to have found this as a basically new cue- it is a keeper for me- plays very well indeed! I love finding vintage cues with closet homes- the shaft woods from older periods were great and many times the vintage cases are like new as well. I think college kids or high schoolers bought cues in the 80s and early 90s and then they got dis- interested rather quickly in the game- I have found several cues from that era basically unused.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That)s a nice find

I have a dozen or so Dufferin cues picked up at Value Village...I have a green maple leaf with that type of joint. All of the others have aluminum. All of my Dufferin 2 piece Snooker cues are also aluminum.

I never really noticed the joint before as I use a Barracuda snooker cue for all billiards and the other cues are mostly for display racks or to give away.

Re would to wood. I’ve use my Barracuda snooker cue for 14 years. All wood joint. Never an issue. I ‘think’ I like The wood to wood feel but might be because it’s what I’m used to. It’s difficult to isolate one variable in a cue. Pool players seem to pool cue hop a lot...snooker players tend to stick with one cue.

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dufferin probably made more 5/16 x 14 joints than the aluminum glider joint. For the price they put together a pretty good cue. Both Cliff Thorburn (world snooker champion) and Kirk Stevens ( #4 in world snooker) played with Dufferin snooker cues.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They also had a half threaded 5/16x14 pin with a wood pilot on the shaft.
Dufferin is on the left.

jAvvrGY.jpg

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently Acquired a vintage Dufferin Butterfly cue in mint condition- basically unused. The bumper has made in Canada imprint. I believe these cues pre date 2005- not sure. My question is: this cue does not have the standard Dufferin aluminum joint. It has a brass pin in the shaft and the butt has a threaded insert -metal- to receive the screw on the shaft. This is basically a flat faced wood to wood joint- NOT the usual Dufferin metal to metal joint.

Did Dufferin produce cues with this wood to wood joint? There are joint collars on the shaft and butt. I am just trying to determine if this is an all original Dufferin that I now have or was the joint replaced at one time- hard to imagine that the joint was replaced as the cue is basically unplayed for maybe a few racks or so. it came in a mint Joe Porper 1X1 Classic series protect a cue case.

Cue plays great with the wood to wood joint - much better than the standard Dufferin aluminum joints. I would imagine the age of this cue to be 1990s or so- red maple leaf.

Hi Mike
Good info to know. That insert is in the butt and shaft. It's no joke. If you ever have it changed, bore the insert out, don't heat it. The brass screw is a full 5/16x14.

IMG_20200512_001056.jpg