APA league operator issues

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's plenty of people in Apa that our good at there number but not quite good enough to go up or have gone up but go down because they can't handle the increased handy cap. Sounds like your one of the winers crying about it being fair. Life ain't fair lol

This is gonna happen in any handy cap league. Your gonna have players get better and move up...it's the nature of the beast.

Not whining at all. Just saying what it sounded like to me.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So does the National office contact you (LO's) regarding a specific team and say, "We see that Tom's team, the team called Team X, has several players that are on the border line of having their S/L raised. Please inform them as to player 1, player 2, and player 3 so we can avoid a dq situation." or is it a general directive or general advice from the National Office to inform your teams that they may want to consider certifying some players at a higher S/L to avoid a potential dq situation.

It's a general directive to be aware of teams that have several players "on the verge" and let them know ahead of time so they can consider self-promoting a player or two. We don't tell them which players, but they know.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Koop,

The APA team I play on has four players who have bounced up and down in skill level over the past four years. Two are now 3's. Two are now 5's. Have no problem with the situation. Both 3's play well within their ability range. One has over a 50% win percentage. The other well below 50%. The 5's on the other hand have much higher win percentages this session. Last session they both were sub 50%. Was our LO justified? Can't argue with her. Only problem is she waited till late Friday night to change one from 2 to 3. Saturday was division playoffs. We began play with our usual lineup till it got to me as anchor. The other team objected as we would be playing at 24. Only then did the captain realize what had happened. Whose fault? Our captain for not checking averages before starting? Probably but it sure would have helped for the LO to notify our captain of the change more than twelve hours before play began. The score sheets were printed early Friday evening. Play began at 8 AM Saturday. One of those over / under 50% players went from a 2 to a 3 AFTER 8 PM. Incidentally, we lost the match to qualify for Cities. Sour grapes? Don't think so.

Lyn

Lyn,

It's absolutley the responsibility of your captain to check handicaps prior to the matches. Not sure how many teams were playing but I think it's unrealistic to expect the LO to let every team know if they had players move or down. It's up to the team captain to check prior to match ups.

Koop

Billiardsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA Operator is spot on. I assist with the LO in my area and they notify teams if there is a member(s) that is on the verge of going up prior to the LTC tournament. This is so that they can certify them as a higher handicap so as NOT to be disqualified at nationals. It is not to let you know whom to have "sandbag" or to disqualify that team right away. Prior to playing in the LTC you need to sing a form, everyone on the team does, that you are at the rating it says or that you believe yourself to be a higher or lower handicap. If you believe someone on the team is better than they are ranked at, then you need to say that. If you do not, then you are cheating by allowing it to occur.

Another reason for the LO to let you know is that if they have a team get disqualified at nationals, they lose one spot for the next calander year at nationals. So why would a LO allow you to get disqualified at nationals if that had an adverse effect on them?

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Lyn,

It's absolutley the responsibility of your captain to check handicaps prior to the matches. Not sure how many teams were playing but I think it's unrealistic to expect the LO to let every team know if they had players move or down. It's up to the team captain to check prior to match ups.

Koop

I agree. However within the bounds of the APA there are many contradicting statements. Something the APA seems emphatic about is leaving the S/L's to the LO or your local league office. In the team manual it discourages us from trying to track our own S/L's.
"Don't worry about the handicap system, enjoy yourself, play your game and let the system do it's job"or something like that
If the system were doing it's job I submit that going up or down during the LTC or NTC wouldn't be a concern. Score keeping and S/L's seem to work differently when you get beyond the local weekly playoffs. What's the rule at that level? If you have upward movement of more that 2 S/L's you get DQ'd. This is where it frustrating for those of us that don't try to manipulate the system.

abs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to agree with League Operator, and other's, comments. It's get bumped now, or likely get DQ'd in the tournament. I've had a team in the same situation, had a player get bumped just before going out to Nationals... And I'd take that over going out there and getting DQ'd a couple rounds in... That would be a waste of everybody's time and energy.

octy81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok now we have no problem being moved up in skill level, isn't that the point to improve? She told my captain who the 3 players are to be moved up she also said we could be moved up even if we don't play , she has the power to move up anyone's skill level then why not do it now instead of telling us shell do at city's and then DQ us?

Billiardsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. However within the bounds of the APA there are many contradicting statements. Something the APA seems emphatic about is leaving the S/L's to the LO or your local league office. In the team manual it discourages us from trying to track our own S/L's.
"Don't worry about the handicap system, enjoy yourself, play your game and let the system do it's job"or something like that
If the system were doing it's job I submit that going up or down during the LTC or NTC wouldn't be a concern. Score keeping and S/L's seem to work differently when you get beyond the local weekly playoffs. What's the rule at that level? If you have upward movement of more that 2 S/L's you get DQ'd. This is where it frustrating for those of us that don't try to manipulate the system.

It is actually set up so that if your TEAM moves up more than two full ratings. So if you have two players who are both at a 3.5 and they both move to a 4.5 then you would be disqualified. So if team X has three players that are all moving up, you can see how easy it would be for the team to be disqualified.

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are still not understanding what your L.O. is telling you. When you get to the City Tournament you will be presented with your team members handicaps. You have the option before the tournament starts to raise the handicap on anyone on your team. You can even have your L.O. raise someone's handicap before you even get there.

Since you have been warned of the impending handicap bump, I would highly suggest you raise at least one of your players handicap up 1 SL to avoid the DQ. Pick the player that's skill level is the highest above their current SL so that they will have the best chance to win verses the other two players.

I've had to do the same thing several times before the city tournament and it didn't make any difference in our finish.

Kelly

Ok now we have no problem being moved up in skill level, isn't that the point to improve? She told my captain who the 3 players are to be moved up she also said we could be moved up even if we don't play , she has the power to move up anyone's skill level then why not do it now instead of telling us shell do at city's and then DQ us?

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sounds like people are complaining about your players.
Sucks if it's legit but it's what league players do best sometimes.

Chadk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
we have Cities next weekend also. Im in one of the Arlington, Tx. APA leagues.
When we get done with that, I am also done with APA. It's mainly the hours for me. we typically dont finish before 1AM, but other things as you've mentioned also contributed to that decision.

I have seen the flyers for TAP in some of our bars so i know it's here. I think we plan to try and start BCA on that night to make up for it.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Totally agree. The whole system can be frustrating. After doing it for so long I just kind of gave up and just play.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Lyn,

Koop

Koop,

I agree in principle. In actual practice wouldn't you feel somewhat screwed if your LO decided to raise one of your teammates between rounds of the playoffs or worse Cities without telling you? Just printing out the new scoresheets with the adjusted averages? I'm pretty interested in my team and teammates. It never occurred to me a change would happen that late without notification. Kind of like when we found out after the end of a session in which we thought we finished first only to find out, after the end of play, the LO "forgot" to mention another team was "owed" some points from an earlier weekly session and wound up one point ahead of us. The LO does have some responsibilities!

I feel for the OP. It appears to me the league operator is responsible to the APA and them only. Not the players who support them financially on a weekly and yearly basis.

Lyn

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Koop,

I agree in principle. In actual practice wouldn't you feel somewhat screwed if your LO decided to raise one of your teammates between rounds of the playoffs or worse Cities without telling you? Just printing out the new scoresheets with the adjusted averages? I'm pretty interested in my team and teammates. It never occurred to me a change would happen that late without notification. Kind of like when we found out after the end of a session in which we thought we finished first only to find out, after the end of play, the LO "forgot" to mention another team was "owed" some points from an earlier weekly session and wound up one point ahead of us. The LO does have some responsibilities!

I feel for the OP. It appears to me the league operator is responsible to the APA and them only. Not the players who support them financially on a weekly and yearly basis.

Lyn

Lyn, I definitely would feel screwed. I guess my point is, it's happened to me before and I just learned to ALWAYS check because you never know.

tigerallenyim

Hate has no home here
Silver Member
Koop,

Lyn
Yeah, this has happened on more than one ocasion in where my LO has raised teams not only prior to LTC, but during LTC and even in LTC' final match.... say about three times already. So I am purty used to it.Which you brought up a very good point... somtimes they think of what goes into their own and APA's pocket then the actual bal pocket of the player.

It doesn't make me happy, but it is what it is, and work on what I can do for the team and I.

RunOut Apps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flux

Played for 6 years and quit because the exact same thing happened the last 5 years in a row.

Pool Net Handicapping & TAP have a unique double red flag system to automatically DQs underrated players. It's a state of the art handicapping system which is now combined with mobile device scoring,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.runoutapps.scorekeeper

Attachments

• dual droids.jpg
    dual droids.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 177

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
Don't you know that you can't beat the APA as long as they are endorsed by Jeanette Lee? :p

Roger

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Hahaha yeah he's doing you a favor..so get to sand bagging so your numbers don't go up!! That's the apa way!

That's what it sounded like to me too. Your LO was telling you that your team had better dump next time you play or you will be DQ'd.

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're LO is doing you a big favor by letting you know that you have several players that are on the verge of going up in handicap. At least you now know how everyone stands handicap wise for the championship and your team can plan on how to approach the tourney. Look at the bright side, your players are getting better, therefore so should their skill level.