To every poolhall and bar tough guy

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gold Crown is telling you exactly what I have stated several times.
When you wear a gun, you have a duty to try retreatIng & escape.

You avoid arguments and fistfights because you do not know how
the other person may react and it might cause you to use your gun.

Even if you get ridiculed, mocked or harassed walking away from a
quarrel, you need to remain in control of your emotions & just leave.

It’s not easy to do and the temptation to react is huge, especially when
you are still young. Carrying a gun requires leaving your ego at home.

But when trouble cannot be avoided, and you reasonably believe it is
necessary to draw your gun, then just make sure to use it legally & safely.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Gold Crown and Bavafongoul are absolutely correct.

If you really want to complicate your life, short and long term, get involved in the judicial system. People who have been there will advise you to avoid it at all costs. The problem is that most folks do not understand how bad it is until they are in the middle of it. So, don't end up in a living hell only to have to then realize "I could have avoided all of this -- I did this to myself." So, walking away from the $*&holes of the world may not sit right with you, but an appreciation of all of the "baloney" avoided should provide some solace.

Last edited:

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I doubt that even goes to trial and if it does, they will absolutely be found not guilty.

Most likely the DA will lose his job and may face criminal charges himself for not following the law and criminal misconduct in the handling of evidence.

The DA did nothing but pander and buckle under political pressure.

I agree, however it wasn't crystal clear in the legal system. My point is, it never is. And yes, that is a case for legal insurance however politically it may not work in someone's favor. Just ask a cop these days. I am very LEO friendly so don't take my comments as too argumentative. I am saying the current day is WAY different than 30 years ago. AND, to some original comments by other posters about the video and in general...No, work really, really hard not to shoot someone. Being in danger is "subjective". Do your best to get away, pride and manliness be damned.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Gold Crown and Bavafongoul are absolutely correct.

If you really want to complicate your life, short and long term, get involved in the judicial system. People who have been there will advise you to avoid it at all costs. The problem is that most folks do not understand how bad it is until they are in the middle of it. So, don't end up in a living hell only to have to then realize "I could have avoided all of this -- I did this to myself." So, walking away from the $*&holes of the world may not sit right with you, but an appreciation of all of the "baloney" avoided should provide some solace.

I agree with that too. People (including "experts") are changing their tune a bit now.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

That's really good information for anybody in any situation, weapons or not. What appears to be cowardice to one person may be restraint and wisdom to another. If you can't de-escalate, at least you tried. Most people don't want to hurt or be hurt, but strong emotions like anger, fear and pride get the better of them. Rule #1: "Karate Only For Defense". Rule Number 2: "Learn Rule Number 1!".

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, however it wasn't crystal clear in the legal system. My point is, it never is. And yes, that is a case for legal insurance however politically it may not work in someone's favor. Just ask a cop these days. I am very LEO friendly so don't take my comments as too argumentative. I am saying the current day is WAY different than 30 years ago. AND, to some original comments by other posters about the video and in general...No, work really, really hard not to shoot someone. Being in danger is "subjective". Do your best to get away, pride and manliness be damned.

Agreed, I just retired a few years ago having worked in the 80s, 90s and 00s. My father worked on the job in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s and he told me when I started..."it's just not fun anymore.

I tell people these days that ask for my advice about getting in law enforcement....."run in the opposite direction and don't look back" Horrible time to be in law enforcement

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Speaking of tough guys and fights, I started watching "Cobra Kai" on Netflix at a friend's suggestion. Never thought I would enjoy a show so much again since "Breaking Bad". I am hooked!

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you leave your property and enter the public, you become equal to every other citizen out there. Your desires, feelings, likes and dislikes, sense of honor, etc all are exactly equal to someone else's. If they make you uncomfortable...so what. They have the right to do so.

Wrong.

On your private property, you can walk into your backyard and defecate on your lawn. You cannot stroll into a public park and take a shit on the grass.

In your house, you can lounge on your couch naked. In public, you cannot sit at the bus stop with no clothes on.

In your house, you can have sex with your partner on the carpet. In public, you cannot f**k your partner on the sidewalk.

On your 100 acre farm with a house in the middle of it, you can blast music as loud as you want. In public, you cannot drive around blaring music so loud that it rattles the windows of the houses that you pass by.

See the difference? Freedom does not mean that you have the right to do anything you want in public. When your actions impact others, that's where your freedom ends. In public, you are required to behave according to a certain decorum, which are known as "laws", otherwise you don't get to be in public, you get to be in jail. It may seem incomprehensible to you, but you actually have fewer rights in public than when you are at home. Unfortunately, too many ignorant people are alive today, and they believe that they can act in public like they do at home.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tate,

Have you watched the series Peaky Blinders on Netflix?

It is about street gangs in England right after WWI (1920’s)

Peaky Blinders was an actual urban street gang of adult criminals.

Anyway, it is a very enjoyable, but it’s also a violent storyline (5 seasons).

Matt B.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is so unfortunate. It's not like the movies. All the good you've done in life is flushed down the drain with one senseless act.

Was your friend involved?

Not involved at all. The guy who threw the sucker punch knew immediately he f’e up and started running. Sad all the way around.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tate,

Have you watched the series Peaky Blinders on Netflix?
I
t is about street gangs in England right after WWI (1920’s)

Peaky Blinders was an actual urban street gang of adult criminals.

Anyway, it is a very enjoyable, but it’s also a violent storyline (5 seasons).

Matt B.

I have. It's great. The acting and cinematography are outstanding, and the plots are clever. I read that filming for the next season was supposed to start in 2020, but production was delayed because of the virus. :(

Last edited:

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Head shots are no longer taught, nor recommended, in CA CCW classes. Take one and find out.
Instead, center cavity aim and ballistics prove today’s ammunition is deadlier and penetrate better.

YOUR class does not teach that. Mine does. Quit spreading FUD.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's really good information for anybody in any situation, weapons or not. What appears to be cowardice to one person may be restraint and wisdom to another. If you can't de-escalate, at least you tried. Most people don't want to hurt or be hurt, but strong emotions like anger, fear and pride get the better of them. Rule #1: "Karate Only For Defense". Rule Number 2: "Learn Rule Number 1!".

I literally watched Karate Kid part II last night with my wife!!

I saw your are enjoying Cobra Kai. Its a great series. I binge watched both seasons in one setting the days they came out on youtube Red. Great stuff. Can't wait for season 3.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were you down there in the day of the Rockin' Crown Lounges? I bounced at the Pinellas Park location for awhile. Had a lot of fun but surprised I survived looking back.

Mid 80’s. I sure was. I was late teens but just missed the switch from 19 to 21 so the fake ID never got questioned. That was fun back then. Thank god my kids take after their mother and don’t do such foolish things.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I literally watched Karate Kid part II last night with my wife!!

I saw your are enjoying Cobra Kai. Its a great series. I binge watched both seasons in one setting the days they came out on youtube Red. Great stuff. Can't wait for season 3.

The quality of the writing on Cobra Kai is as good as I've seen. I'm on episode 2 of the 2nd season. So glad to see these guys acting again - lot's of talent on the show. I predict "Robbie" will be the next Val Kilmer (hopefully with a happier ending!).

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Mid 80’s. I sure was. I was late teens but just missed the switch from 19 to 21 so the fake ID never got questioned. That was fun back then. Thank god my kids take after their mother and don’t do such foolish things.

HA! That's awesome. :lol: Amen on the kids...I drove back to Ohio after a couple years and married their Mom (before they were made). :eek:

I was there 80 into 81. I'd a let you in after the weapons check at the door. The biker dudes handed over weapons, they just wanted to party. The biker biotches hid daggers.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I knew a guy who with his brothers were involved in a lot of fights. I got along good with him and didn't know his brothers much but they were well known in the area.

One of his brothers was shot in a poker game along with 4 others. He went to the hospital with a broken hand and a bullet wound which severed his spinal column. Broken hand was from punching the guy just before he shot everybody. Paralyzed from the waist down.

It wasn't the first guy he punched but it was the last.

There was a time when people had fist fights and left it at that. Not the case any more.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
often not the case even way back when!

I knew a guy who with his brothers were involved in a lot of fights. I got along good with him and didn't know his brothers much but they were well known in the area.

One of his brothers was shot in a poker game along with 4 others. He went to the hospital with a broken hand and a bullet wound which severed his spinal column. Broken hand was from punching the guy just before he shot everybody. Paralyzed from the waist down.

It wasn't the first guy he punched but it was the last.

There was a time when people had fist fights and left it at that. Not the case any more.

Things have always tended to escalate. Dozens of stories from the old days, most forgotten. A man pulled a knife on my dad, my dad pulled out a .44 magnum. The guy settled down in a hurry, no injuries. A big guy made a hobby out of whipping a much smaller guy's butt, had done it four times in the last six months. One day the little guy walks up to the big guy sitting at the bar, didn't say a word, put a little pissant .25 to the guy's forehead. Pop!

I broke a lot of cue sticks when I was young and dumb. It started when I was in a very very rough place, knew I had no back-up. I was fifteen years old, 160 pounds. A guy noticed I had a wad of twenties in my pocket, tried to claim the bet was ten times larger than it had been when I lost. When I refused to pay his revised amount he came at me to take all of my money.

He was four inches or more taller, over a hundred pounds heavier, fifteen years older which matters when you are a kid and he is a blue collar worker. When he came at me a cue snapped and I jammed the pointy end in his face with both hands. The cue dug in by the corner of his mouth and ripped open from there almost to his ear. Fight over, advantage little fella! Funny thing, it wasn't a week before I was back in there with never a word said. If anyone fussed about blood spilled there it was the person who had to clean up the mess!

Looking back and considering more detail than I can put into a moderately short forum post, I still think the stick was the right move. He was coming at me fast enough he couldn't even slow down when I broke the stick. He was planning a physical attack and was almost literally twice my size. Far bigger, stronger, and heavier. The stick made a nice equalizer and I remembered that for future reference. The trick is if you have to act, act fast, act decisively, get the hell out of Dodge!

Hu