Aramith Standerd Crown Ball set -?

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

My Son got a couple of ball sets for his table , He got a set of Aramith Standered Crowns which look nice , ordered new but see a few scratch's already and have not played with yet. He also got a new set of Aramith Premium balls which look a little nicer and seem to a bit glossier. This is my question , I had read that you want a Belguim ball that is made of phenolic resin. These are , but what is the differnece between them or up into the higer sets. I see there high end sets say Super Phenloic resin , what is the differnce. The Crown set is not the cheapest set they make , maybe 2-3 cheapest set . The Crowns are they considered a cheaper set or lower quality. Just trying to understand the ball world, I plan on getting a set of Dynasphere Tugnston balls as everybody seems to really like them

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

My Son got a couple of ball sets for his table , He got a set of Aramith Standered Crowns which look nice , ordered new but see a few scratch's already and have not played with yet. He also got a new set of Aramith Premium balls which look a little nicer and seem to a bit glossier. This is my question , I had read that you want a Belguim ball that is made of phenolic resin. These are , but what is the differnece between them or up into the higer sets. I see there high end sets say Super Phenloic resin , what is the differnce. The Crown set is not the cheapest set they make , maybe 2-3 cheapest set . The Crowns are they considered a cheaper set or lower quality. Just trying to understand the ball world, I plan on getting a set of Dynasphere Tugnston balls as everybody seems to really like them
The higher priced balls have a harder resin compound to minimize skids and burn marks. They may have closer wt./size tolerance too.

Last edited:

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Garc are the Crown standered a decent set or would you consider them in a cheaper realm. I did not know if there is a lower quality phenolic resin or are the phenolic resin made balls the same.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With Aramith, the more expensive sets use better quality resin, with the best being the duramith balls. With Dynasphere, they use the same resin for all their balls. That's why there's such a tungsten bandwagon, top quality materials at bottom tier prices.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Garc are the Crown standered a decent set or would you consider them in a cheaper realm. I did not know if there is a lower quality phenolic resin or are the phenolic resin made balls the same.
They're good balls. I think you overthink some of this stuff.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They're good balls. I think you overthink some of this stuff.

Yea , I guess you could say that Garc , I go to deep sometimes. I like to learn and have tons of useless knowledge lol . Thanks for the info .

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i have multiple sets and except for the cue ball as you are hitting it directly you cannot really tell much or any difference between sets of balls. and at home it doesnt matter, it is all in your mind when shooting anyway when it comes to equipment for the most part.
even with cheaper or old cueballs they roll and react the same. just roll them side by side off the rail on the table and you will see virtually no difference in where they land.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
i have multiple sets and except for the cue ball as you are hitting it directly you cannot really tell much or any difference between sets of balls. and at home it doesnt matter, it is all in your mind when shooting anyway when it comes to equipment for the most part.
even with cheaper or old cueballs they roll and react the same. just roll them side by side off the rail on the table and you will see virtually no difference in where they land.

I disagree. One of our local table suppliers has all nice shiny new balls for their rentals, I dont recognize the brand but even though they look nice they break like crap and are not very consistently sized. Im guessing they are cheap sets.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

If your son is just playing recreationally with family and friends any Aramith set will do.

If he aspires to play competitively out in the wild he may want to invest in a set of better Aramiths. Despite claims to the contrary, not all pool balls play the same. Some sets are made to higher tolerances and another brand -- Cyclop -- has a higher resin content which slightly changes how they play, but enough that experienced players can tell the difference and adjust accordingly.

Lastly, there are Aramith knock-offs that will chip, scratch, and crack marketed on sites like eBay, so always buy from a reputable seller.

Lou Figueroa

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
You have a good set , they are fine, it's the only set I'd buy
Classic look,and i don't need to break the bank for pool balls

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok Thanks guys for the advice. I do like the look of them and they play Nice. Lou I dig what you are saying about buying from a rep dealer. I do my Dealer gets his stuff from Cuestix international so I am confident in that they are real aramith balls.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

It's been gone over many times before, the standard for a good set for a "player" would be the Aramith Premium and up. The other sets play lighter, have less quality control and use a lesser finish and hardness.