Pool Cue Market

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I always enjoy looking at cues in the cue gallery and classifieds during my regular time on here. Been away a bit from the forums and have been browsing. Seems like the market is down with cues or maybe I am mistaken. Saw Bushkas around $6000 and some other cues priced lower then say 10 years ago. I don't really play too often and liquidated most of my cues because of that. I might be getting the itch again though so window shopping at the moment. What are your thoughts on the current cue market?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you saw an original Bushka for $6k, then times are far worse than I imagined it to be.

There’s lots of F/S threads that are aging without offers & as time passes, the price drops.

Higher end cues are not moving as fast as 18 months ago. I think a better question is for
top name cue makers to answer. Have you seen a slowing down on new orders and are
more elaborate designs becoming less requested because of the price of the cue going up?

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
If you saw an original Bushka for $6k, then times are far worse than I imagined it to be.

There’s lots of F/S threads that are aging without offers & as time passes, the price drops.

Higher end cues are not moving as fast as 18 months ago. I think a better question is for
top name cue makers to answer. Have you seen a slowing down on new orders and are
more elaborate designs becoming less requested because of the price of the cue going up?

I have saw 2 Bushkas for sale at $6000 or less recently both with Tascarellla LOAs. I was stunned. Cheapest I saw them in the past was 8-9k. Would be interested to see what some cue makers are saying too. I have seen something similar in the car market which is much more volatile in comparison to pool cues. I just figured Szams and Bushkas would hold or increase in value.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I think cuemakers are doing well even though it may not appear so. There are so many groups raffleing cues on Facebook there gotta be a ton of cues being made. There are so many addicts spending money on trying to win said cues they don't have funds to buy stuff on the 2ndary market.

On a personal level, I bought 7 new cues this past year. Mind you, if ivory was still being used, my number might not be that high as I would've ordered more expensive cues. It's not that I don't want to buy a used cue, I'm just not interested in them any longer as I now prefer something made to my exact specs. I'm almost always going to throw a cf shaft on any cue I use nowadays anyway.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always enjoy looking at cues in the cue gallery and classifieds during my regular time on here. Been away a bit from the forums and have been browsing. Seems like the market is down with cues or maybe I am mistaken. Saw Bushkas around $6000 and some other cues priced lower then say 10 years ago. I don't really play too often and liquidated most of my cues because of that. I might be getting the itch again though so window shopping at the moment. What are your thoughts on the current cue market?

There are several things. Raffles are so popular now that people are less interested in spending the money to actually buy a cue. They would rather gamble on getting a cue for a fraction of what it would cost. This drives the price down for purchasing a cue because the cues just sit on the market so they look less desirable at that price to people who are willing to spend the money.

For the higher end cues, the market is shrinking for the most part. Fewer buyers with that kind of disposable income. Most of them are getting older and may just want to spend the money on other things. The younger generation doesn't seem to hold the HOF makers in the same regard that people who played in those times did.

Now is definitely a buyer's market. The lowest I have seen for a Balabushka is around 4k-4.5k. A lot of industries which involve collecting have taken a hit. I just don't believe it will be as popular in the future. People seem to want new and spend less on collectibles. Sports memorabilia is worth nothing close to what it was 10+ years ago.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The trend seems to be downward and I don’t see a reason for a resurgence. I would not buy a cue unless you are sure to remain satisfied with your purchase even if it loses value.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 42 and I always thought Balabuskas were ugly, and too expensive. I wouldn't have bought one if they were 2000. For that money I'd get a fancy new custom. I doubt a 25 year old pool degenerate today would want anything other than a Revo shaft on a modern butt. And I think in a few years, the trend will shift to carbon fiber butts as well as shafts.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything is overpriced.
Anything selling is at far below asking price.

If I had high end cues I'd be afraid the music will stop once the last person who can spell Balabushka expires.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
I just talked to a world famous cue maker and asked about the market. He said China has slowed down quite a bit, perhaps due to China does not want $$ leaving the country. Japan demand has picked back up. And here's the kicker, he said US demand is up which he believes is due to Covid.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I haven't followed the market much. Love looking at cue pics, but not really a collector.
Still have my 2007 Josey and can't see a need to change cues.

(edit) Could be an age thing for me. I turn 77 soon. Usually when I buy something it's to replace a broken or worn out something.
I have no real desire to aquire more stuff just to acquire more stuff. Just not any "I really want this" stuff out there for me.

Last edited:

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just not any "I really want this" stuff out there for me.
What about this one:

ec_snakewood1.jpg
ec_snakewood2.jpg

That's an Eddie Cohen cue. He only uses the Hebrew letters if requested, otherwise it says "Cohen" on the butt. More pics here:

https://cohencues.com/portfolio-item/snakewood-window-cue/

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about this one:

View attachment 559965
View attachment 559966

That's an Eddie Cohen cue. He only uses the Hebrew letters if requested, otherwise it says "Cohen" on the butt. More pics here:

https://cohencues.com/portfolio-item/snakewood-window-cue/

Beautiful cue! Ebony, Snakewood and Ivory is one of my favorite combinations for a cue. True cue lovers appreciate the aesthetics of the cue, the craftsmanship that goes into a quality cue build, the woods and other materials utilized for the cue, and, of course, playability of the cue- I'll add cue history as well ( who once played with a particular cue).

There are cue dealers and true cue collectors (passion). My own feelings are that true cue collectors who already paid for the cues they own don't really care about dollar appreciation that much anymore. Many cue makers are retired or, sadly, gone, if new demand dwindles then, to me, my cues take on even more interest.

As I move to a more advanced age, the only reason I would sell most of my 12 cues that I currently own would be so as to not burden my sons with the task of selling them at some point. I think that there are a lot of collectors in this category.

I hope I never sell my cues because I HAVE TO- only because I want to - hope the U.S. does not go the way of Argentina! I also hope that somehow pool itself in the U.S. someday goes fairly popular again for an extended period - just because it is such a great game and cue making is such a cool craft!

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I think the lower end of the market is over priced currently, and the upper end is suppressed.

At least from what I can see. People asking 8-1400 for cues that would have sold for 4-1k 3 years ago. Of course just because you are asking doesn't mean much, but most of the asking prices keep me from even making a offer because I know I won't be able to even break even on when I sell it.

Plenty of deals, but usually takes buying multiples to get them. Not to mention that there is a ton of people that just want to trade, and vastly over rate their trade material.

I suspect part of it is the cost of CF shafts, make people believe their cue is worth more because a shaft costs 2-400.