Do you think Viking and McDermott are on the same level?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
All you're gonna get for 200bux is a little fancier but won't really play much different. The Players HXT cues are one heck of a sub-200 buck stick.

I was suggesting going from 75 to over 200 moves into the usa made Viling line, maybe even the Vikore shaft. I will agree anything above that is just window dressing but that first jump is very significant. I donknow much but I know Viking cues pretty well.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was suggesting going from 75 to over 200 moves into the usa made Viling line, maybe even the Vikore shaft. I will agree anything above that is just window dressing but that first jump is very significant. I donknow much but I know Viking cues pretty well.
I've had a few. Bought one from the man himself yrs ago, G. Hart. Make good cues its just that they need a new designer. Last couple of yrs they've made some really bizarre stuff. They do play fine.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I've had a few. Bought one from the man himself yrs ago, G. Hart. Make good cues its just that they need a new designer. Last couple of yrs they've made some really bizarre stuff. They do play fine.
Yes, their persistent love of pearloid is hard to understand but you just have to sort through it and reach deeper in the catalog.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO they're on same level quality-wise. Viking for some reason continues their love affair with gaudy designs-n-colors. For an entry level(and up) American made cue i'd go Pechauer. Every time. I used to tout Schmelke but that was before two shafts warped in a year.

God you got that right lol viking’s can be gaudy. Although McDermott was just as bad back in the day. I played with McDermott back when everyone else was in love with muecci back in the day and they always seemed to pick a wrap that was the exact opposite of what should be on the cue to match the rest of the colors lol

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy an old house cue that is mostly straight. Take the money that you'd piss away on a new cue and buy a $200.00 table on Craigslist. Set it up yourself and spend the next three years practicing 5 hours a day. If you ever get good, buy a nice, modestly priced cue with all the money you would have pissed away at the pool hall.

You'll thank me.

That questioned wasn’t asked troll .. if either one of these cues is to expensive for you to afford you should be working a second job in your spare time not playing pool.

Last edited:

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Buy an old house cue that is mostly straight. Take the money that you'd piss away on a new cue and buy a $200.00 table on Craigslist. Set it up yourself and spend the next three years practicing 5 hours a day. If you ever get good, buy a nice, modestly priced cue with all the money you would have pissed away at the pool hall.

You'll thank me.

I would thank you if I asked a completely different question that had some degree of relevance to your answer. If I do ask that question in the future, I thank you in advance.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Quality wise. As stated, I am asking out of curiosity on opinions.

Quality of wood, quality of craftsmanship, quality of inlays, quality of service, quality of materials, quality of Q/A, quality of joint, quality of design, quality for price, quality of choice, quality of shaft, quality of butt,etc., etc.?

Oh, and throw in high end/low end?

See the reason your question might be more detailed?

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I've never owned or shot with both. What do you think? I'm curious on your opinions.

Personally, my main cue is an older McDermott. I love it. The Viking I have is a good cue, but the balance point is too rearward for me personally. I have no idea what line the cue is or if they all have a more rearward balance point. I think quality wise they are probably really close, best to try them out if you can.

I remember back in the late 90s or early 2000s Maxim magazine had a pool cue test, which included all sorts of things, even soaking them in a bathtub full of beer. The McDermott and Viking were the only 2 that didn't warp and ended up getting their recommendation.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Used to do the pawn-thrift shop rounds and NEVER found a cue worth buying. Mostly crooked, beat-to-shit junk. I've heard the stories but have never seen a decent find in all my stops.
The Good shit all gets cherry picked by employees. Yea goodwill has quality stuff alot of times brand new. But your not finding a fucking mint c series mcdermott. Maybe a Stealth or some ther China brand that has rattles and warps.

Zerksies

I think both brands are crap. But McD has turned around and it staying with the times and they have some really nice tech gear over there. I would choose McD

FunChamp

Few weeks ago I went to a Billiard supply store that sells tables and most brands of cues. I looked at, held, and hit some balls with both McDermott and Viking. I was very disappointed in the McDermott build quality, look of the MDs. The Gcore shafts looked like crap. Did not care for them at all. They were balanced well however.
The Vikings were well balanced but the materials used looked like crap. I did like Viking butt diameter better as its thicker but that's personal preference. I looked at the Vpro shaft and the shaft wood looked like a stick in my backyard six months after a hard rain. I hit some balls with the Vikore. Not firm but very crisp. Not bad. Gcore sucked.
I wouldn't buy either one. Pechauer, Joss, Jacoby are the only named cues I would consider. The Meucci's ( I used to be a Meucci fan boy) looked like crap. I bought a Players sneaky Pete with an Elkmaster few weeks ago just to piddle with. It's surprisingly well made, well finished and plays very well. I was shocked a bit. Predator makes very fine cues but I feel they are way overpriced. I can't speak on Mezz, schon, Lucasi, bc I haven't played with them. I want a custom but my wife would kill me. Pray for me

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a couple plain Luckies just to see what the pin was about. They now come with brass inserts and probably have for some time. I've even seen some ignorant reviews on Amazon complaining about the "cheap/inferior or plain QC error wood threads too. The market is always right I guess. The tapers are a bit clunky but a Players shaft (with that cheap inferior wood thread) on the player Lucky (sold the other Lucky) took it to player level. Confusing? Buy cheap, be befuddled.
The upper models and real McDermotts don't win any design credit with me. Vikings are worse visually. I have two painted Valhallas and they serve the purpose while minimizing the eyesore effect. Paying custom prices for ugly cues doesn't float my boat.