Another Pool Hall Closing (Stixx Rancho Cucamonga)

RunOutRay

My Stix Visit 10/08/2020

I went by Stix yesterday to talk to Alex about buying one of his Gold Crowns.
Nobody was there but there was no indication that he was permanently closing.
Only signs on door were about being closed for COV-19.
It would be a major blow to pool in SoCal if he would close.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Alex= the Lion yes?

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He is closing for sure. Selling everything from the pool tables to the ice maker.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Alex= the Lion yes?

No. Another Alex. Alex Lao for short .
Alex is also Efren's former road manager.
Alex also managed Shooters in Riverside for years before going on his own.
Alex was also responsible for introducing me and Efren to the late cue maker Judd Fuller.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. Another Alex. Alex Lao for short .
Alex is also Efren's former road manager.
Alex also managed Shooters in Riverside for years before going on his own.
Alex was also responsible for introducing me and Efren to the late cue maker Judd Fuller.

Thanks. Somewhere along the way I had gotten the idea that Stixx was his room.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ever been there bob? ...
Nope. Usually if I'm in LA I only have a little spare time and in the past I've just dropped by Hardtimes. I guess that's not going to work any more either.:frown:

The menu makes me hungry.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear this if true. I spent some time there when I lived in Cali. Alex L is a great guy and I wish him the best in the future no matter he does.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
And you can count Diamonds Billiards Club in Brea as another casualty .
It was one of the nicest pool places here.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is sad news. I gave dozens of lessons in that room over the past 20 years! I was always treated very well by the owner, and enjoyed teaching there. I'm sorry to hear of Stixx closing!...another victim of this dumb pandemic.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Well I just found out two days ago that my local pool hall is closing it’s doors and selling all assets. This is a moral blow to me. When I decided to start playing pool again after being away from the game for 20 years, Stixx was chosen room. I have since been playing the weekly tournaments and playing recreational along with money matches there. I can’t believe it’s closing. I was actually in talks to purchase the room as a business however the reason it is closing is due to COVID. The owner is roughly 7 months behind in rent leaving him in debt almost 6 figures and rising. Therefore the landlord has decided to file a lawsuit against the owner trying to collect.

This is a very, very sad time. This is the second room that has closed in the past 2 months. Stixx was a place where I saw and socialized with my fellow players. Only a few months ago Efren was there playing exhibition matches. Weekdays were packed with APA and ball bangers along with serious players (not saying APA is not serious). Weekends there was a line out the door waiting for a table.

This is a travesty!

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Yea but they need to take their losses just like everyone else. They are not thinking straight. This is where the city should step in and intervene for the better of everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
Many other countries handled COVID (and the economic issues) much better.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just FYI garczar, New Zealand has zero problems with Covid-19 right now. No hospital cases, no deaths, no masks. They must be doing something right.

Scott Lee

Maybe earlier but not so much now. A lot of Euro countries are getting hammered lately. As weather cools off its gonna spike again.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just FYI garczar, New Zealand has zero problems with Covid-19 right now. No hospital cases, no deaths, no masks. They must be doing something right.

Scott Lee

I don't know if it is true or not, but a flight attendent once told me that more people travel through Atlanta International Airport in 1 week than through Sydney's airport in a year. Could certainly be hyperbole, but I would assume the sheer number of people (or lack thereof) coming into and leaving New Zealand might have something to do with their success.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee

Typical number of cases in China are under 20 per day....