Advice on weight bolts

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about adding .5oz to my Pechauer Pro cue. The seller sent me some short weight bolts with the cue. They look to be the correct size but are hex head not color coded flat head like the images I see for Pechauer bolts. They appear to be the size of a Pechauer .7 oz. I have a few questions that maybe someone could help with. One is can I simply screw in the short bolt, provided it fits, on top of any bolt that may be in there? Or is it best to see if there is a bolt, unscrew it, weigh it and get a heavier bolt? Next, should they be lubricated at all, and if so with what, I don't want to deteriorate the wood. The bumper cap is sort of flanged out and only presses in, but I am having a hard time getting it flush again. I haven't put a bolt in yet. Can I put a little lube on it to press it in fully? I've been playing with 19.5oz McDermott cues and this one is 19oz and feels a little light. I suppose that I could adapt because it will be my main player, but that still leaves the question of lube for the bumper cap. Thanks

Most weight bolts are 5/16 with 16 threads per inch. Your's is probably the same.

You can add a section of the weight bolt under the current weight bolt by cutting down the extra bolt to the weight you want with a hacksaw or dremel tool. It can go under the current weight bolt which may have a wide head on it that holds against the buttcap. The weight bolt threads in the buttsleeve should be cut in 3-4 inches deep most of the time.

To get the bumper to push in a little liquid soap on the sides of the bumper and buttcap should get it in there easily enough.

Last edited:

Cross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best to take out the existing bolt so you can screw the new one tightly. Not doing so may cause some rattle if the bolt loosens while you're shooting. Dont know about the lubricant tho

P.S. a .5 oz heavier weightbolt might also change the balancepoint of your cue causing it to become butt heavy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you have Teflon tape like plumbers use you can wrap the bolt with that to stop any rattling that could occur with this small section of bolt.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its not that hard...,

I was thinking about adding .5oz to my Pechauer Pro cue. The seller sent me some short weight bolts with the cue. They look to be the correct size but are hex head not color coded flat head like the images I see for Pechauer bolts. They appear to be the size of a Pechauer .7 oz. I have a few questions that maybe someone could help with. One is can I simply screw in the short bolt, provided it fits, on top of any bolt that may be in there? Or is it best to see if there is a bolt, unscrew it, weigh it and get a heavier bolt? Next, should they be lubricated at all, and if so with what, I don't want to deteriorate the wood. The bumper cap is sort of flanged out and only presses in, but I am having a hard time getting it flush again. I haven't put a bolt in yet. Can I put a little lube on it to press it in fully? I've been playing with 19.5oz McDermott cues and this one is 19oz and feels a little light. I suppose that I could adapt because it will be my main player, but that still leaves the question of lube for the bumper cap. Thanks

Most bolts are 1 or 2oz and they are easy to change out, most billiard supply shops have them and can weigh your for you before you decide to change it out. I have a bag full and have changed out all types of weights for all types of cues.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Most weight bolts are 5/16 with 16 threads per inch. Your's is probably the same.

You can add a section of the weight bolt under the current weight bolt by cutting down the extra bolt to the weight you want with a hacksaw or dremel tool. It can go under the current weight bolt which may have a wide head on it that holds against the buttcap. The weight bolt threads in the buttsleeve should be cut in 3-4 inches deep most of the time.

To get the bumper to push in a little liquid soap on the sides of the bumper and buttcap should get it in there easily enough.

Most are 3/8 16.
5/16 is too thin.

Adding half an ounce could really throw off the balance and resonance of your cue.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I will weigh my options......

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Use the Pechauer Weight Screw System.
https://pechauer.com/weight-screws

Don't worry about anything to get the bumper on. I have had a few Pechauer cues, just get the bumper started and twist it in there till flush, it's not going to just push in flush.
Yes, it twisted in, thanks. I'll probably leave the weight alone. I just have to adjust a bit to the lighter weight. Still playing in a bar league with the heavier cue ball one night a week. Maybe use the McDermott at 19.5 for that and keep the Pechauer for the 9 footers I'm starting to play on. Thanks again.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ky jelly is your best friend when putting your rubber back in if it is too tight.

Makes it slippery going in----------and when it dries it's like a rubber cement.:smile: