Masse and jumping with LD shafts

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found that jumping and use of masse is more difficult with my OB Classic shaft. Do you experience this with low deflection shafts? What is the cause?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found that jumping and use of masse is more difficult with my OB Classic shaft. Do you experience this with low deflection shafts? What is the cause?

Yes LD shafts can't jump. There was a thread about this a while ago, and the OB folk chimed in with a "we don't know why" LOL.

Just think of LD shaft as white guys and use your break cue to jump, or a house cue.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Nope, can't masse worth a crap with my OB. Comes up so infrequently, but I can always use my teammates cue. Or, just bring a masse cue with you if it matters that much. I'm just glad it's the one shot that comes up the least ;)

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes LD shafts can't jump. There was a thread about this a while ago, and the OB folk chimed in with a "we don't know why" LOL.

Just think of LD shaft as white guys and use your break cue to jump, or a house cue.
This is a good idea and many thanks but it would cause fights in the One Pocket game...lol

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, you can pretty well execute Masse-shots with an LD shaft.
You just need to aim a little different and instead of only relying on side you need to also apply a little bit of backspin.

The curve is not as pronounced as with a normal shaft - and quite frankly, that is to be expected and is by design. Hence the name "LD".

As to the jumping: the shaft has low end mass and usually is more flexible in the front - that's why it has LD properties. This is the same reason you can't jump that easily - you're missing the mass on impact and the stiffness.

Cheers,
M

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both masse and jumping require the cue to "trap" the cueball between the cuetip and the bed of the table. The same properties that cause cueball deflection equate to what is needed to promote this kind of action.

The ends of LD shafts are made to "bounce" the tip away from the cueball in order to provide a straighter aimline when using off-center hits. This property is an anathema to what makes a cue good for jumping and using masse.

With an LD shaft you can still achieve limited masse by aiming further away from an obstructing OB and using elevated english to swerve around it. It is prohibitively difficult to get extreme masse where you squirt out and back around OBs, and you would risk damaging the shaft if you were to push it.

By the same measure as mentioned above, LDs are terrible for jumping. Other cues with a heavier endmass are better for that.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a good idea and many thanks but it would cause fights in the One Pocket game...lol

Never seen a jump done in a one pocket game anyway. I am pretty sure it's either against the rules or such a strong unwritten rule that it may as well be a rule anyway.

Joqpub4

AZB GOLD
Silver Member
That's funny, I see jumps frequently in 1p... cue ball hitting a ball and then a rail and jumping off the rail out of the way of the banked object ball :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Definitely. Jumping is difficult because low deflection is the opposite of what you want in a jump shot. You want the cue to deflect the cueball out of the way! That is why a dedicated jump and break cue makes sense, and a jump/break cue does not. The break shot is the place where LD properties really help the most.

As for masse, I don't think they are more difficult, just different. With a standard shaft players tend to aim almost at the interfering ball, knowing the shaft will deflect the ball out and around before curving back. With LD, you simply aim on the path you want the cueball to go first to avoid the obstacle, and dial in the amount of elevation to get the movement you want. I don't find a huge obstacle for masse with LD shafts. Jumping, yeah that not so great with them!

KMRUNOUT

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jumping, hell no, masse, easy squeezy, just takes practice. I'd recommend trying to masse softer, not that I know how your current technique, but it doesn't take much force to make the ball curve to your liking, most people just hit it too hard for the spin to thoroughly grab the cloth.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jumping is possible but hard. Masse isn't that hard just gotta get good at it.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The break shot is the place where LD properties really help the most. ...

That depends. For break cues, I think it's desirable to have a match between one's breaking bridge length and the shaft's natural pivot length. Then, an unintended off-center hit on the cue ball (unintended back-hand english) is more likely to result in the cue ball going where intended. Some players use a longer-than-normal bridge length for the break shot. For them, a shaft with a long natural pivot length, as on an LD shaft, might be better on the break cue. But a shaft with a shorter natural pivot length, as on a non-LD shaft, should be better on break cues bridged at a normal (short) length.